Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Man took 58 years to get his college degree
Its way easier today to get a degree!  

Tons of FREE credits and low-cost credits today.  Today we are NOT tied to B&M classrooms only.  Testing out credits did not really exist like today.   Gore had not invented the internet yet!  Today, being a non-traditional student is 99% easier than even the 1980's were.   No computers, no spell check, no Grammarly etc., back then.  Education is a commodity today that we (students) can shop around for the best deal.  I could go on and on.  In 1959 he had very limited options.  I had a few more options by 1987 (Dr. John Bears Guide), but still nothing like today.

Its way easier today to get a degree!  Big Grin
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 1 user Likes Life Long Learning's post:
  • Muldoon
Does Bear have a new guide? I've looked, but can't find it if it does exist.

It'd be great to have an up-to-date plan to share with people that isn't an amalgam of 50 forum posts (though I truly love you guys, it scares people)
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
I think Dr. Bears daughter continued the guide after he retired, but they all stopped quite a while ago?  I am not sure of the last one's printed date.  The internet and forums like this make printed books dated even when new.  I wish I had kept my Bear Guide.  I do not even remember the version that I had. 

I would also buy a new Bears Guide, but I think that ship has sailed.  After Ewald B. Nyquist, the father of the Big 3; Dr. John Bear had the most impact on non-traditional students. Big Grin
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(03-24-2018, 02:57 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: Its way easier today to get a degree!  

Tons of FREE credits and low-cost credits today.  Today we are NOT tied to B&M classrooms only.  Testing out credits did not really exist like today.   Gore had not invented the internet yet!  Today, being a non-traditional student is 99% easier than even the 1980's were.   No computers, no spell check, no Grammarly etc., back then.  Education is a commodity today that we (students) can shop around for the best deal.  I could go on and on.  In 1959 he had very limited options.  I had a few more options by 1987 (Dr. John Bears Guide), but still nothing like today.

As a happy Big 3 grad, I would agree and disagree, depending on the situation.   I think that for anyone wanting a select group of majors, including liberal arts and business, it's easier than ever. 

However, for science or other related majors that require you to be on-campus for the most part, I disagree.   My DD is a pre-med chemistry major and we literally moved states to choose a college that would be affordable.   She knows that because we  moved states, we can pay for her education until she gets to her post-grad studies, at which point she will rack up possibly hundreds of thousands worth of debt.    And, we could say "doctors make a lot of money, it's ok."   Well... that depends on the specialty, or even whether you specialize.   For example, general practictioners or pediatricians don't make the sky high figures that would help her easily pay off the debts.   

So, I guess now we just need to find a way to make it easier for the "other" majors that aren't covered on this forum.  As much as I'd like to say that a SL class with lab is the same as what my DD is doing on-campus, it really isn't.   But we need all of the STEM majors more than ever, so it seems like a very difficult situation.   Sad
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
[-] The following 1 user Likes burbuja0512's post:
  • Ideas
(03-24-2018, 07:01 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: I think Dr. Bears daughter continued the guide after he retired, but they all stopped quite a while ago?  I am not sure of the last one's printed date.  The internet and forums like this make printed books dated even when new.  I wish I had kept my Bear Guide.  I do not even remember the version that I had. 

I would also buy a new Bears Guide, but I think that ship has sailed.  After Ewald B. Nyquist, the father of the Big 3; Dr. John Bear had the most impact on non-traditional students. Big Grin

Amazon has several of the various versions of the Bear Guides (4 different ones that I can count starting with a 1982 copy).  But I can't imagine that things haven't changed so much since even the 2004 "updated" guide that they would be pretty useless.  But interesting to read about the "olden days" nonetheless.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-25-2018, 12:03 PM)burbuja0512 Wrote:
(03-24-2018, 02:57 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: Its way easier today to get a degree!  

As a happy Big 3 grad, I would agree and disagree, depending on the situation.   I think that for anyone wanting a select group of majors, including liberal arts and business, it's easier than ever. 

However, for science or other related majors that require you to be on-campus for the most part, I disagree.   My DD is a pre-med chemistry major and we literally moved states to choose a college that would be affordable.   She knows that because we  moved states, we can pay for her education until she gets to her post-grad studies, at which point she will rack up possibly hundreds of thousands worth of debt.    And, we could say "doctors make a lot of money, it's ok."   Well... that depends on the specialty, or even whether you specialize.   For example, general practictioners or pediatricians don't make the sky high figures that would help her easily pay off the debts.   

So, I guess now we just need to find a way to make it easier for the "other" majors that aren't covered on this forum.  As much as I'd like to say that a SL class with lab is the same as what my DD is doing on-campus, it really isn't.   But we need all of the STEM majors more than ever, so it seems like a very difficult situation.   Sad

The Big 3 do most of the major degrees. 
Postsecondary institutions conferred approximately 1.9 million bachelor's degrees in 2015–16. Over half were concentrated in six fields of study: business (19 percent, or 372,000 degrees), health professions and related programs (12 percent, or 229,000 degrees), social sciences and history (8 percent, or 161,000 degrees), psychology (6 percent, or 117,000 degrees), biological and biomedical sciences (6 percent, or 114,000 degrees), and engineering (6 percent, or 107,000 degrees). The fields in which the next largest percentages of bachelor's degrees were conferred in 2015–16 were visual and performing arts (5 percent, or 93,000 degrees); communication, journalism, and related programs (5 percent, or 92,600 degrees); and education (5 percent, or 87,200 degrees). Overall, 355,000 bachelor's degrees (18 percent) were conferred in STEM fields.
https://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/indicator_cta.asp

Excelsior alone enrollments:
17,539 Nursing
8210 Liberal Arts
5829 technology
5204 Business
1185 Health Sciences
1107 Public Service

Its way easier today to get a degree! Big Grin

• Ideas
I'll continue the devil's advocate position Wink

What health degree making over 50k can you get entirely online? The online nursing degrees seen are typically to help go from RN to BSN. There may be a true RN program online, but I don't know how they would do it since they have to spend a lot of time with patients.

Same goes for engineering. And the lab-based sciences. Not sure how many lab-based sciences there are, but anything that requires experiments in a lab and microscopes, along with the other equipment that this business grad is clueless about, so I can't really fully quantify.

I agree that technology is WAY easier than it used to be.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
With my original "Big 3" BS in Business, I made over 6-figures and a nice first retirement.  My new "Big 3" BS in HSEM degree I make way over your 50K figure.  

I do not have the background in health degrees to answer your question.  You are focused on just a few degrees, but my original post is and still is "A" degree not a specific degree.  A degree means little if that person does not have the work ethic to go with it.  

The Big 3 Nuclear Engineering and Electrical Engineering folks seem to do very well.  Go to the Big 3 in LinkedIn and do a search of alumni using degree names and see what they do.  It's very interesting.

• Nodaclu
(03-26-2018, 02:15 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: With my original "Big 3" BS in Business, I made over 6-figures and a nice first retirement.  My new "Big 3" BS in HSEM degree I make way over your 50K figure.  

I do not have the background in health degrees to answer your question.  You are focused on just a few degrees, but my original post is and still is "A" degree not a specific degree.  A degree means little if that person does not have the work ethic to go with it.  

The Big 3 Nuclear Engineering and Electrical Engineering folks seem to do very well.  Go to the Big 3 in LinkedIn and do a search of alumni using degree names and see what they do.  It's very interesting.

I'm focused on the health sciences because that's what's costing me the big bucks right now.  I'm very happy to know that the Big 3 education is a lot broader than just some liberal arts and business, which is what I thought.   I am DEFINITELY not undervaluing my education at all, just talking about a different subject.

..So I guess I'm saying that while school has gotten easier for the wise, it's gotten harder if the Big 3 aren't possible.  And with my DD, it's just not a choice.    With her major, we had the choice to stay where we were (Chicago area) and look at 20k a year or more, OR move out of state.   So after some research, I uprooted the family to come live in a tiny little town that is the home of the University of South Dakota.  Where we can actually pay for her college.   Well, at least until medical school, depending on where she goes.

That's why I'm playing devil's advocate.   I think we've got some great solutions that can help some people, but we need to do a better job.   I shouldn't have to completely relocate to find a place where we can afford for my daughter to study.  Smile
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
[-] The following 2 users Like burbuja0512's post:
  • Ideas, Nodaclu
(03-26-2018, 03:02 PM)burbuja0512 Wrote:
(03-26-2018, 02:15 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: With my original "Big 3" BS in Business, I made over 6-figures and a nice first retirement.  My new "Big 3" BS in HSEM degree I make way over your 50K figure.  

I'm focused on the health sciences because that's what's costing me the big bucks right now.  I'm very happy to know that the Big 3 education is a lot broader than just some liberal arts and business, which is what I thought.   I am DEFINITELY not undervaluing my education at all, just talking about a different subject.

..So I guess I'm saying that while school has gotten easier for the wise, it's gotten harder if the Big 3 aren't possible.  And with my DD, it's just not a choice.    With her major, we had the choice to stay where we were (Chicago area) and look at 20k a year or more, OR move out of state.   So after some research, I uprooted the family to come live in a tiny little town that is the home of the University of South Dakota.  Where we can actually pay for her college.   Well, at least until medical school, depending on where she goes.

That's why I'm playing devil's advocate.   I think we've got some great solutions that can help some people, but we need to do a better job.   I shouldn't have to completely relocate to find a place where we can afford for my daughter to study.  Smile

The Big 3 were never originally designed to help youth aged 15-25.  They were designed for older folks with real B&M credits from many colleges and who were discriminated against by ALL the B&M universities in the 1970's.   At last count, I think Excelsior College has helped 160,000; TESU 70,000, and COSC 12,000?  

TESU has way more specialed degrees than Excelsior College.  Excelsior College has many more military students working in the nuclear field and they have a STEM base.

In the West the University of Wyoming is cheaper than most of the in-state universities for students in all the Western States.  They use the WUE.
https://www.wiche.edu/wue

• burbuja0512

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abide University Honorary Doctors Degree bjcheung77 0 582 07-07-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TEFL opportunities without a degree Personherebb9 3 513 06-11-2023, 03:09 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  What is the difference between College and University (USA) Personherebb9 8 1,317 12-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  College of Golf Alpha 5 691 09-11-2022, 07:30 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Richest US College Alpha 6 922 09-09-2022, 04:31 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  What does college look like in 10...20 years? cardiacclep 10 1,502 08-25-2022, 04:48 AM
Last Post: MitchellHolst
  College of Winterhold Alpha 1 530 07-28-2022, 12:32 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  Student signs up for class, finds out 2 months in that his professor died 2 years ago studyingfortests 5 748 07-27-2022, 05:32 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  College grad paralyzed after chiropractor visit bjcheung77 5 893 07-16-2022, 05:14 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Any Spanish Song Favorites From the Past Few Years? LevelUP 5 715 07-07-2022, 12:13 PM
Last Post: LevelUP