Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Master of Science in Leadership OR Master of Arts in Liberal Arts
Hello everyone,

My Capstone course begins 2/3 and I am already looking at graduate studies.
I am currently working in management with an organization that I enjoy working for. My pursuit of higher learning is somewhat motivated by my personal and professional goals. I was wondering what your opinion may be on obtaining a MS in Leadership versus a MA in Liberal Arts. I plan to complete my graduate degree at local state university via distance learning. However, I am finding that the only programs offered in that category is MBA or MA in Liberal Arts.
My undergrad is a B.S. in Professional Studies which is similar to a liberal arts degree. However, in my opinion it is much more flexible.

Since this is the case I am leaning towards a more career focused graduate degree and I think a Master of Science in Leadership would be best suited for me.
Can you please provide insight on this MS in Leadership vs MA in Liberal Arts debate?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies
Open College @ Kaplan University
Completed
April 2016

Master of Business Administration
Kaplan University now Purdue University
In Progress
32 out of 60 credits earned
Is there a third option? Confusedmilelol: Get an MA in Liberal Arts if you plan on adjunct teaching in the future and getting 18 credit hours in one subject area. Get the MS in Leadership if you want to further develop your leadership skills...I guess. I took a look at Kaplan's MS in Management with a specialization in Leadership because you have it in your signature. First of all, Kaplan won't look nearly as good as UNC which is also in your signature. Like most management programs, Kaplan's program looks like an MBA-lite. The leadership specialization courses just pile on top of the useless leadership courses you have to take for the management core. The health care management, human resources, and information technology specializations are more valuable, in my opinion.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I have found leadership courses to be painfully boring. If you like those types of courses by all means go for leadership.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
sanantone Wrote:Is there a third option? Confusedmilelol: Get an MA in Liberal Arts if you plan on adjunct teaching in the future and getting 18 credit hours in one subject area. Get the MS in Leadership if you want to further develop your leadership skills...I guess. I took a look at Kaplan's MS in Management with a specialization in Leadership because you have it in your signature. First of all, Kaplan won't look nearly as good as UNC which is also in your signature. Like most management programs, Kaplan's program looks like an MBA-lite. The leadership specialization courses just pile on top of the useless leadership courses you have to take for the management core. The health care management, human resources, and information technology specializations are more valuable, in my opinion.

Lol! Thank you for your reply.
Your response is actually why I am leaning towards UNC. It's just that I don't know if it's worth it to pursue a liberal arts degree in grad school. The liberal arts program is the only one of few grad programs offered that doesn't require the GMAT. I guess I will keep exploring.
Completed
April 2016

In Progress
videogamesrock Wrote:I have found leadership courses to be painfully boring. If you like those types of courses by all means go for leadership.

I'm with you! I'm not too thrilled with them.
Completed
April 2016

In Progress
Unless it's purely for fun or the long shot prospect of adjuncting I would skip the MA. Just to damn much work for so little return.

I'd prefer a plain Jane MBA from a decent school over the Leadership degree. For one thing, to me, the 30 thousand foot survey of business is a whole lot more fun than 2 years of studying Victor Vroom and trying to figure out how to motivate teams.... Ugh just thinking about graduate studies in leadership makes my head hurt. I also suspect that while our would check the Masters box, a degree in leadership will have to be explained too much.... Just my $.02, you asked for it. Smile
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
I agree 100% with rebel. The LibArts MA isn't going to be very helpful for business-related job prospects. But, if you're just doing it for the experience, and not looking for a return on your investment, by all means go for it.

I've also never understood the value of a Master's degree in Leadership. Of course, I understand the value of studying leadership to develop your own leadership style, but I don't see the value in spending hundreds upon hundreds of hours studying various theories on leadership.

Although the MBA is very common, it's still a check-the-box requirement for management positions at a lot of places, so it will at least get you past the automated candidate filter. The LibArts MA or the MS Leadership may land your resume squarely in the circular file.

dmjacobsen http://donaldjacobsen.com
Author, nurse, and all-around awesome guy
MSN Executive Leadership - The University of Memphis - 2016
MBA Healthcare Management - Western Governors University - 2015
futuremrsmlb Wrote:The liberal arts program is the only one of few grad programs offered that doesn't require the GMAT. I guess I will keep exploring.

Its not cheap, but this is a grad program I have been interested in that doesn't require a GMAT:

https://www.marshall.usc.edu/msse
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
Thanks for the info.
I one of the lucky ones as my employer will foot the bill 100% so cost is not a primary concern.
Completed
April 2016

In Progress
futuremrsmlb Wrote:Thanks for the info.
I one of the lucky ones as my employer will foot the bill 100% so cost is not a primary concern.

I'm totally jealous! I need to start looking for real work again soon, & would love to find an employer that offers that as a perk. Right now I'm working from home just doing design stuff since moving to a new state. I am going to finish my BA soon, & then will need to decide on if I should go straight to a grad program (maybe out of state on a scholarship) or just try to find work locally. I'm also seriously starting to debate volunteering overseas for a year or two if my disability filing goes through.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ENEB Master Thread MrsBulletPoints 2,736 536,865 9 hours ago
Last Post: spree610
  Ms data science for 15k Imbanewbie 15 1,611 04-16-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: dutchdragon
  Opinions on Master's International University of Divinity isaachunter 19 6,097 04-14-2024, 07:55 AM
Last Post: isaachunter
  Utah Eccles Master of Business Creation (MBC) Jonathan Whatley 0 190 03-29-2024, 07:23 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 603 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  Phd in environmental science myopenledger 2 223 03-27-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Recognition of Execute Master Lorvey 10 587 03-19-2024, 02:31 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Master of Public Administration BSBRose21 9 1,653 03-18-2024, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Leedeedee
  Cheapest/Easiest Master's? Hellenic, WGU, UMPi? mohelena02 19 1,814 03-18-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  South College Developing CBE Master's in Criminal Justice Jonathan Whatley 2 263 03-18-2024, 03:29 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77