Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Master's Level Computer Science Courses (One at a time)
I was hoping to get some suggestions.

I already have a master's degree. If I have 18 regionally accredited credits in computer science, I can teach Intro to Programming at the college level. I have a background in software development.

My question is -- where would the cheapest place be to do this one course at time? APU? I was thinking WGU, but they charge on a semester basis, so I don't think that would work.

Strayer? Or maybe the cheapest university in my state so I don't have to pay out-of-state tuition?

I was also thinking Statistics.com Data Science Certificate through TESU. However, the ACE credit recommendations are upper bachelorette for those courses, so I was ... not sure how that would work.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
(11-17-2020, 11:35 PM)udi Wrote: I was hoping to get some suggestions.

I already have a master's degree. If I have 18 regionally accredited credits in computer science, I can teach Intro to Programming at the college level. I have a background in software development.

My question is -- where would the cheapest place be to do this one course at time? APU? I was thinking WGU, but they charge on a semester basis, so I don't think that would work.

Strayer? Or maybe the cheapest university in my state so I don't have to pay out-of-state tuition?

I was also thinking Statistics.com Data Science Certificate through TESU. However, the ACE credit recommendations are upper bachelorette  for those courses, so I was ... not sure how that would work.

If you only need 18 credits, WGU seems like you could do it in 6 months.  $3200

APU is $5130

Price isn't too different, I would take the quickest route. 

I'm guessing you can't just take the ACE study.com courses.  You need to also be sure the courses you take would be considered the right computer science courses they accept.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
If you already have a master's degree and need that many CS credits, you might as well just complete a bachelor's degree in CS while you're at it. The difference in the number of courses required is probably negligible. That is what I'd do anyway.

For a second degree in CS, there are plenty of other options out there as well I'm sure. Particularly if you already have a decent number of prior RA credits to transfer.

You'd need at least 24 additional credits (8 courses) at TESU. Unfortunately, you'd likely need closer to 60-80 credits at WGU if your existing degrees don't include a lot of CS-related courses already. Obviously, with TESU you'd need to take at least 6 of those courses from them rather than somewhere like SDC if you need RA credits and not an RA degree. This is where WGU might make more sense, but you are probably looking at two terms there.

Regardless of whether you're just seeking credits or a degree, keep in mind that unless you are looking at a competency-based school, you're going to be limited in how quickly you can complete the courses. You'll have to take multiple courses simultaneously, which means you probably won't be able to take too many at once if you want to have any kind of life outside of work and school.

That is my $0.02 anyway.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • indigoshuffle
Thanks !I like interesting cources!
(11-17-2020, 11:35 PM)udi Wrote: I was hoping to get some suggestions.

I was also thinking Statistics.com Data Science Certificate through TESU. However, the ACE credit recommendations are upper bachelorette  for those courses, so I was ... not sure how that would work.
Im not sure what you mean here, you want MSCS in slower pace, not in a rush to get a degree? Or you just want to take graduate level courses?

One course at a time in MSCS program typically would takes at least 3 years to finish. OMSCS is perfect for that, no rush to finish, cheapest and most reputable. Based on your academic and professional background you have pretty good chance to be admitted to OMSCS program. You can take one course at spring, summer and fall semester, you can even skip summer if you want a break, and be done in 3+ years.
Hopefully the op has figured it out or has moved on. The thread is almost 2 years old. Smile
(08-19-2022, 09:41 AM)Pats20 Wrote: Hopefully the op has figured it out or has moved on. The thread is almost 2 years old. Smile

Haha just realized this is an old thread, I didn't see the date
(08-19-2022, 09:42 AM)sialiblo Wrote:
(08-19-2022, 09:41 AM)Pats20 Wrote: Hopefully the op has figured it out or has moved on. The thread is almost 2 years old. Smile

Haha just realized this is an old thread, I didn't see the date
Lol. I’ve done it before myself. Thought I’d have some fun.
At this point, there are enough of these programs around that people can think about more than just cost/flexibility and think about delivery style, learning style etc.  Choice is good.
I agree with you!

(08-19-2022, 07:14 PM)Alpha Wrote: At this point, there are enough of these programs around that people can think about more than just cost/flexibility and think about delivery style, learning style etc.  Choice is good.

You have a point!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ENEB Master Thread MrsBulletPoints 2,666 517,316 Yesterday, 02:55 PM
Last Post: nykorn
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 328 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  Phd in environmental science myopenledger 2 118 03-27-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Recognition of Execute Master Lorvey 10 486 03-19-2024, 02:31 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Master of Public Administration BSBRose21 9 1,525 03-18-2024, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Leedeedee
  Spanish Titulo Propio & UK Level 7/8 Qualification Framework bjcheung77 21 6,440 03-18-2024, 04:27 PM
  Cheapest/Easiest Master's? Hellenic, WGU, UMPi? mohelena02 19 1,626 03-18-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  South College Developing CBE Master's in Criminal Justice Jonathan Whatley 2 200 03-18-2024, 03:29 AM
  Legit UK Level 7 and Level 8 Diplomas armstrongsubero 3 320 03-12-2024, 10:21 AM
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 550 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger