Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Masters for Teaching College Courses
I think I might enjoy teaching those college orientation type courses. Like the kind, most brick and mortar schools have a course that teaches intro to college. It is basically study skills, resources the college coffers, etc. Additionally, many colleges offer an optional course on career decision making or professional development. Where you learn about different majors and how to craft a resume. I have a lot of knowledge in those areas and might want to teach stuff like that in the future.

Unfournatly, I only have a bachelor's and I know that in order to teach at college you need a master's.

Anyway, if I wanted to teach orientation courses as an adjunct at a community college or even a university I am wondering what degree would be best to go after? Any thoughts or personal experience would be helpful.
Rarely some Jr Colleges will hire bachelors. But a masters is desirable for most undergrad teachers. Ultimately college professors will end up eventually becoming a PhD
(02-14-2021, 10:50 PM)ashkir Wrote: Rarely some Jr Colleges will hire bachelors. But a masters is desirable for most undergrad teachers. Ultimately college professors will end up eventually becoming a PhD

I know that is why I am asking. I want to know what kind of masters degree I should go after to teach orientation courses?

I know to teach English at college you need a masters in English, Math is masters in Math, etc. However, there isn't a degree in College Orientation and the stakes for these courses are so low and the content isn't difficult. So I not sure which Masters degree is best for this pursuit.

I don't want to be a professor, just adjunct teaching at a community college, full time if I get lucky and it works out. But I have no interest in getting a Phd now or possibly ever.
This is a faculty certification parameters guide that I came across a few years ago from the State College of Florida: Sarasota/Manatee:

https://www.scf.edu/Academics/FacultyCer...efault.asp

Here's the page for student life skills:

https://www.scf.edu/Academics/FacultyCer...s(SLS).asp
Along similar lines, you might want to consider going to several community college websites and hunting up the qualifications of the people who are currently doing what you would like to do.  Most schools will list the faculty members along with some description of their qualifications.
(02-14-2021, 10:33 PM)natshar Wrote: Unfournatly, I only have a bachelor's and I know that in order to teach at college you need a master's.

The good news is that this is not necessarily true. Take at look at small and mid-sized private colleges, as well as technical training institutes (which award certificate, diploma and sometimes associate qualifications).

The bad news is that these colleges and Institutes are usually not of the highest calibre. But, what they will value more than university qualifications is your professional experience. Often, you can get a teaching position without a bachelor at all, if you have significant experience in a field (especially for fields such as IT/CS and HR/hiring).

The worse news is that generally, these positions are contract-based (i.e. you will be hired for that term, and that term only. If you're good, they'll probably offer you a contract for the next term, and the term after, and so forth.). Particularly for some colleges and institutes, you'll also be teaching in the afternoons or evenings - so hopefully you're not a morning person.

If you have little to no experience in teaching, these are a good first option so you can a) see if you actually enjoy teaching at a tertiary level, and b) get some experience and do some networking for better opportunities down the road.

I don't want to disparage these private colleges and institutes - there are plenty of people who teach at them for years on end as an addition to their full-time job, either because they want the extra cash, or simply really enjoy the low-pressure pedagogical environment and interaction with students. The pay is usually fine (not amazing, not bottom of the barrel), and while you'll have plenty of students who aren't really that invested in the course and just want to pass, you'll also meet some amazing diamonds in the rough (who you can brag later about having taught them). Chances are you'll have some really . . . unique colleagues teaching other courses at the school (because, frankly, they're too useless to ever be hired for anything more challenging, and are hired purely to hold the fort and nothing else), so it's also an excellent chance to excel and stand out from the crowd just by being competent. And if you're really good, you'll find opportunities opening up in no time.

If you want to use these positions as a stepping stone, make sure to note your KPIs while you're teaching the course (e.g.. 'improved average class grade from 56% to 72%', 'redeveloped curriculum to incorporate new segmenting and clustering techniques' etc etc) because this is what will help you to move into more permanent teaching positions.

As a general rule, to teach at a level, you need a qualification 'the next step up' - but professional experience can substitute nicely, especially in a time like now where practical knowledge is seen as superior to theoretical understanding.

Don't get stuck in the trap of thinking you need a zillion qualifications first and then you'll get the best of the best positions from the get-go. Your past teaching experience will count for way more - both to the hiring manager, and when you're in the classroom.
(02-14-2021, 10:33 PM)natshar Wrote: I think I might enjoy teaching those college orientation type courses. Like the kind, most brick and mortar schools have a course that teaches intro to college. It is basically study skills, resources the college coffers, etc. Additionally, many colleges offer an optional course on career decision making or professional development. Where you learn about different majors and how to craft a resume. I have a lot of knowledge in those areas and might want to teach stuff like that in the future.

Unfournatly, I only have a bachelor's and I know that in order to teach at college you need a master's.

Anyway, if I wanted to teach orientation courses as an adjunct at a community college or even a university I am wondering what degree would be best to go after? Any thoughts or personal experience would be helpful.

Before doing anything, I'd research colleges around and see if these are jobs which are available. At the B&M's I've attended who had an orientation class, it was taught by a faculty member not someone who specializes only in orientation. I've had a history prof and an English prof teach this course. It was a 1 credit course. If you want to get into the professional development office, then I would contact nearby schools and ask what their jobs requirements are. There may not be any openings where you are and you may need to look elsewhere. I haven't seen the orientation course taught by an adjunct at the 2 schools I took it at. Most people on staff at colleges - even community colleges - have a master's degree. I spoke with an enrollment counselor at a university last week and he has a master's degree in counseling. So even if you don't have a master's degree, it might be worth pursuing if you want to get into this line of work. Also consider what's happening to colleges right now. Many are in bad financial situations. The state schools seem to be in the best shape here. Even they are cutting back on staff and increasing fees. The Board of Regents wants a big tuition increase of course. 
nat, it's going to all depend on what you want to "teach"... these seem like courses just to get the student ready for college... hmm, you want to get in contact with your state teaching requirements, it may just require a BA+Teaching certificate while you work on your Masters. You also want to get in contact with a school and research what requirements are needed to get into their Masters program and what that degree accomplishes. Maybe even speak with WGU/ACE or any other school that interests you and have education programs... (btw, not that ACE you're thinking of..., you can contact ACE.edu)
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • schlocker
My guess is, for courses like this, you can get a master's degree in literally anything. You're not specializing in a course, you're teaching an entry-level orientation course.

My advice (in addition to the stuff already given): look for jobs at nearby schools and see what they ask for. Then, call the school and ask someone there.

Finally, if you get a master's degree in something that interests you already, you'll be ahead of the game in terms of job qualifications. If you can find a cheap fast one, all the better (I'm thinking UMPI or Brandman's MAOL, WGU's MS in Mgmt/Leadership, or Capella's MEd in Teaching & Learning).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-15-2021, 09:34 PM)dfrecore Wrote: My guess is, for courses like this, you can get a master's degree in literally anything.  You're not specializing in a course, you're teaching an entry-level orientation course.

Along those lines, I've been led to believe that High School teachers with an MEd frequently are hired for these sorts of jobs as they are familiar with teaching on that level

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 9 704 Yesterday, 11:46 AM
Last Post: MichiganMax
  best MBA/Masters in Finance programs after UMPI? CFPhopeful 7 458 04-07-2024, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Mjake260
  SMC name change to Signum Magnum College - Free MBA?! bjcheung77 6 654 04-03-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: cacoleman1983
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 651 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  South College Developing CBE Master's in Criminal Justice Jonathan Whatley 2 263 03-18-2024, 03:29 AM
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 366 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  A very big thank you to this group. I have completed my Masters in IT from PUG NewatTESU 31 4,226 03-14-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 3,118 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean
  ENEB MASTERS Accreditation, Questions Sara143 10 1,820 02-20-2024, 02:33 PM
  Teesside University has some interesting Masters programs that cost around 9k USD nyvrem 5 582 02-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Tomas