Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Masters of Science in Management and Leadership
Don't be fooled by the "MBA Only" crowd. They might be right, but they also might be wrong. Your mileage may vary.

As a rule of thumb, the more experience you have, the less important the specific master's degree is. If you're early in your career, be very sensitive to the type of degree and its major. Concentrations, if offered, matter as well. But if you're highly experienced in your field, you might want to get a master's that truly reflects what you've done and who you are. That might not be an MBA. For example, a master's in finance might be a better option at that point. The MBA is a good degree for those just starting out. It's flexible. But the days when the MBA was the "it" degree are over. So are the days when there were very few distance learning options and the MBA was the most available. Now you can get just about any degree you want--especially if you think globally.

Get the degree that fits, and beware of advice from people who don't know your situation. Listen to what they have to say, but put it into your own context.
Sagan Wrote:Don't be fooled by the "MBA Only" crowd. They might be right, but they also might be wrong. Your mileage may vary.

As a rule of thumb, the more experience you have, the less important the specific master's degree is. If you're early in your career, be very sensitive to the type of degree and its major. Concentrations, if offered, matter as well. But if you're highly experienced in your field, you might want to get a master's that truly reflects what you've done and who you are. That might not be an MBA. For example, a master's in finance might be a better option at that point. The MBA is a good degree for those just starting out. It's flexible. But the days when the MBA was the "it" degree are over. So are the days when there were very few distance learning options and the MBA was the most available. Now you can get just about any degree you want--especially if you think globally.

Get the degree that fits, and beware of advice from people who don't know your situation. Listen to what they have to say, but put it into your own context.

I understand the purpose of earning a master's in accounting or finance. Finance would be related to the OP's field. I see no purpose for the master's in leadership either for the OP or 99.9% of the world population.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Sagan Wrote:Don't be fooled by the "MBA Only" crowd. They might be right, but they also might be wrong. Your mileage may vary.

This thread was specifically talking about the MS in Management & Leadership, not other degrees. I don't think anyone said that someone should ONLY get an MBA, only that the MBA was preferable to the MS in Management & Leadership (the OP was specifically asking about getting an MBA and the advisor at WGU tried steering him towards this other degree, which not only is not applicable to his goal, but not applicable to his industry).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
sanantone Wrote:I understand the purpose of earning a master's in accounting or finance. Finance would be related to the OP's field. I see no purpose for the master's in leadership either for the OP or 99.9% of the world population.
It could be good for an accountant who thoroughly understands finance and accounting, but needs to concentrate on management and people skills in general so they can transition to an executive position. That's what one friend of ours did. She was pigeon-holed in a controller role, did an MS in Executive Leadership and ended up CFO for a big charity.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phd in environmental science myopenledger 2 104 Yesterday, 11:32 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 3 273 03-23-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Wnt2BLPC
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 494 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 266 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  A very big thank you to this group. I have completed my Masters in IT from PUG NewatTESU 31 4,097 03-14-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 2,974 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean
  Master's in Security Management CBE Online Jeff7 8 496 02-27-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  ENEB MASTERS Accreditation, Questions Sara143 10 1,626 02-20-2024, 02:33 PM
  Teesside University has some interesting Masters programs that cost around 9k USD nyvrem 5 521 02-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  German University of Digital Science (100% online, non-profit) Voldigoad 11 1,656 02-15-2024, 04:44 PM