Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Math Frustration
I am working through my degree and math has been frustrating to say the least.

While the other subjects have come easily I cannot get my head wrapped around algebra or precalculus.

Suggestions?

I have a Math with Business Applications course on my transcript but don’t think it will qualify.
MTAW Certified Municipal Treasurer - Wisconsin 
IAAP Certified Administrative Professional
Administrative Professional Associate Degree - Madison College

Next up: Bachelor's Degree 

Supplement your study materials with Khan Academy.
Study for one of the CLEP math tests. I am not good at math really and I did the college mathematics test and passed with minimal studying.
What is the lowest math you can get away with?

I agree with Yenisei about Khan Academy, that is a GOLDMINE of really excellent curriculum that you can use in any way you want. You can start from scratch or hop around, do practice problems, etc. I passed Stats DSST using Khan, it's very very good.

But, I needed a 100 level math (as opposed to a specific math, which might be your requirement- especially since you mention precal) and for that I took the course Mathematics for Liberal Arts through TESU. There is now also a DSST exam with that title.

Can you post specifically what maths you need?
I am waiting for my evaluation from TESU and Charter Oak to determine which math courses I absolutely need.  I've applied for the Liberal Studies Bachelor's Degree.
MTAW Certified Municipal Treasurer - Wisconsin 
IAAP Certified Administrative Professional
Administrative Professional Associate Degree - Madison College

Next up: Bachelor's Degree 

I'll second the Khan Academy videos. It also helps if you get an old textbook for the subject you're studying. You can use the practice questions and the explanation in the book to reinforce what you're learning from Khan. I've heard good things about the College Mathematics CLEP. The College Algebra CLEP is also supposed to be fairly easy. Get a voucher from Modern States to take the CLEP for free.
TESU requires a very low level of math for that degree, whereas COSC requires College Algebra (I think) for all of their degrees (it's listed in the Gen Ed requirements as College Algebra or Statistics).

I would suggest Study.com's MATH 97: Intro to Mathematical Reasoning or MATH 102: College Mathematics for TESU. I think it's easier than the tests (and I took the Applied Liberal Arts Math TECEP and thought it was VERY easy).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Math can be hard to teach yourself. If you don't understand a concept, then sooner or later it comes back to bite you. If none of the self-study ideas work, you might want to invest in some tutoring, or take this course in person.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
https://phoenix.sophia.org/#courses

They have a free foundations of algebra course. It may not transfer into your program but it may be useful in getting you up to speed on your math skills.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • cookderosa
I really like this site
https://www.mathsisfun.com/algebra/index.html

and I like this guy better than Khan
http://patrickjmt.com/

I haven't done this exam
https://getcollegecredit.com/assets/pdf/..._Sheet.pdf
but the questions don't look too difficult

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 9 585 04-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheapest Dual Enrollment For Advanced Math the_epic_man 3 383 01-11-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Yenisei
  CSM Math - what's it like? CircleT7 25 2,315 11-14-2023, 09:58 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  online RA undergrad discrete math course nomaduser 12 1,023 09-08-2023, 12:56 AM
Last Post: nomaduser
  CSM course as a math req natshar 13 1,126 07-20-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Need Statsitics, but hate all the Math? The Statisistics TECEP may be your answer. Prloko 9 4,225 05-23-2023, 02:39 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  RA math option? Insert Name 7 968 02-20-2023, 09:02 PM
Last Post: Insert Name
  Is It Worth the Money to Get a College Degree? Lets Do the Math and Find Out! LevelUP 20 2,074 02-08-2023, 07:27 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Math Help! splirow 16 1,527 09-01-2022, 02:39 PM
Last Post: splirow
  1 credit math or science ? uncapentin 3 612 06-02-2022, 05:32 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77