Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Math Help Needed!!! Again!!!!
Hey guys.

I'm having the darndest time with these logarithm problems...I've done some google searching and khanacademy.org but I can't seem to find an example of how to do this particular problem.

log(base 6) (9) = ?log(base 6) (3)

I need to figure out what the (?) is.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
Enrolled in BA in Liberal Studies - 105/120 Completed

Associate in Science, Excelsior College
Hi!

I don’t use these often and have to relearn them every time. I just took College Math CLEP, so this is fresh again.

Using rule #4 from this link:

Mathwords: Logarithm Rules

log 9 = log 3(2) = 2 log 3

[All are log base 6 and (2) means squared.]

Is this clear? It is hard without sub- and superscripts. Let me know if it is not.

Just keep looking at the lists of log rules and try to compare them to the problem you are working through.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
mlwilliamsiv Wrote:Hey guys.

I'm having the darndest time with these logarithm problems...I've done some google searching and khanacademy.org but I can't seem to find an example of how to do this particular problem.

I need to figure out what the (?) is.

Thanks.

Mathway: Math Problem Solver

enter: log[6] (9) = ylog[6] (3)
answer: y=2

algebrator will show you all the steps ending in a fraction that you then graph for the the answer. It's too many steps to get into a pic for the board.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
You know what's funny...I was entering the information the exact same way and I was getting answers like y=0!!!

Then I just did it again and came up with two. I figured the answer was 2 but I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks guys.

Last one...I just don't wanna get this one wrong...

Here is the problem:

Suppose that the monthly cost of a long-distance phone plan (in dollars) is a linear function of the total calling time (in minutes).

The monthly cost for 41 minutes of calls is $12.48. The monthly cost for 75 minutes of calls is $15.54.

What is the monthly cost for 48 minutes of calls?

I need to try to figure out the slope I guess...I thought it was 0.09 cents a minutes trying to figure out the difference between the two monthly totals above but that was obviously wrong. I'm done problems like this before with the slope given but I'm having trouble with this one.

THANKS!

mlwilliamsiv Wrote:Last one...I just don't wanna get this one wrong...

Here is the problem:

Suppose that the monthly cost of a long-distance phone plan (in dollars) is a linear function of the total calling time (in minutes).

The monthly cost for 41 minutes of calls is $12.48. The monthly cost for 75 minutes of calls is $15.54.

What is the monthly cost for 48 minutes of calls?

I need to try to figure out the slope I guess...I thought it was 0.09 cents a minutes trying to figure out the difference between the two monthly totals above but that was obviously wrong. I'm done problems like this before with the slope given but I'm having trouble with this one.

THANKS!

answer 13.11

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
this type of problem is easiest for me in excel..and you were on the mark with .09.

1) 75-41=34, 15.54-12.48=3.06, 3.06/34=.09
2) enter 41 in cell A1
3) enter 42 in cell A2
4) highlight both cells and grab the little bar at the bottom right and drag (copy) down till you reach 75.

5) cell B1 enter 12.48
6) cell B2 enter =SUM(B1,0.09)
then select cell B2 and grab the bar and drag (copy) the formula down until you are adjacent to 75 and let go. that cell should now read 15.54
scroll up and look next to 48 and there is your answer.

for me this takes 2mins to do but im sure there's an easier (formula) way, but for the life of me i cant think of it right now...in the middle of microeconomics

edited to fix the horrendous typos..sorry:o

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
Thanks bricabrac...I sent you a pm.

[QUOTE=mlwilliamsiv]Hey guys.

I need to figure out what the (?) is.>>

I miss the time in my life when ? meant question mark Smile
mlwilliamsiv Wrote:Thanks bricabrac...I sent you a pm.
My pleasure!cheersmate

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Possible Career Change - Advice Needed acamp 19 1,509 04-04-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: RavindraNagai
  Advice needed, making time for uni work. Personherebb9 14 1,135 06-11-2023, 03:11 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Math textbook author made $26 million cardiacclep 10 1,064 02-23-2023, 05:09 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  anybody ever been a math teacher ? bluebooger 2 578 08-30-2022, 01:52 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Spanish or Vanish... Duolingo coming to Math! ashkir 3 1,130 08-05-2022, 08:26 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Has anyone taken a math course at community college? picgirl27 2 713 04-03-2022, 09:54 AM
Last Post: picgirl27
  for those who have a math degree - is your job math related ? bluebooger 0 538 03-22-2022, 11:42 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Carnegie Learning Acquires Zorbit’s Math bjcheung77 0 591 05-17-2021, 07:31 PM
  Creative Math Alpha 1 842 02-28-2021, 09:32 PM
Last Post: StoicJ
  MathLand Full Version - Math for the kids! (Google Play) bjcheung77 0 923 12-04-2020, 03:37 PM