Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Math Track Question for BA Computer Science at TESC
Hi All!

I've been lurking on the forum for a few months now and I figured it's time to introduce myself and hopefully begin to contribute to this wonderful community. Reading posts here has helped to demystify the degree earning process and learn while I continue my busy work-life.

After much back-and-forth trying to decide on whether to earn the BSBA CIS or BA Computer Science at TESC, I have decided to try to earn the CS degree. My reading on the forum leads me to believe that many people "wash out" of this degree because the test-out options are more limited and the course work is more challenging. I've decided to focus on math fairly early in my degree plan because if I can get through the math requirements, I will probably be able to successfully complete the CS degree. Otherwise, I may be able to fall back and pursue the BSBA in CIS.

I have gone through ALEKS Intermediate Alg, College Alg, Stats, and Precalc and I will be taking the College Math CLEP here in a few days to pickup credit. Then onto SL Calc I/II. I'm hoping to go straight-through on the math requirements without taking a break so I don't get rusty. The problem is I only have applicant status at TESC, and in order to take Discrete Math or Linear Alg (leaning toward discrete), I'd have to enroll, as there are no test out options I'm aware of. I believe I'll be doing the Enrolled Options Tuition Plan and I don't want to have to enroll longer than a single year. If it takes too long for me to get together my other credits, I'd be stuck with quite a bill. This leaves me with a couple of questions:

1. Would it be wise to take a break from the math studies long enough to collect some general ed / elective credits via CLEP/DSST before enrolling? Math doesn't come to me naturally and requires a lot of effort.
2. Are there any good, affordable online (non-TESC) courses in either discrete math or linear algebra I can transfer in? This could help alleviate the time pressure.
3. Anyone familiar with this track have any comments or suggestions?

Thanks a lot!
haven't taken either
but it's relatively inexpensive

and independent study is always a + for me

==============
Discrete Mathematics | Online & Distance Education, UND

MATH208: Discrete Mathematics

Enroll Anytime

3 Credits
Up to 9 Months to Complete
Independent Study
Work at Your Own Pace
$266.17 per Credit (No Fees)
======================
Linear Algebra | Online & Distance Education, UND

MATH207: Introduction to Linear Algebra
Prerequisites: Math 165: Calculus I
Undergraduate College Credit Courses
Enroll Anytime

2 Credits
Up to 9 Months to Complete
Independent Study
Work at Your Own Pace
$266.17 per Credit (No Fees)
=======================
Check with your local CC. We recently discussed the calc requirements and someone recommended taking the class over trying straighterline for the calc requirement.
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

OP, I jut enrolled in Discrete Math IS at UND last week (and plan to take Linear Algebra IS there very soon if I like the first course). I plan to make a running review of my experience there for this forum since there doesn't seem to be much more than passing mentions of UND's offerings. Hopefully, I'll have some detailed info to share with you about their set-up and my experiences with it before you have to take the courses.

Could you clarify for me, did you already take SL Calc I/II, or do you have them planned? If you haven't taken them yet (and since you say math takes you some extra effort), the details of my experience with SL Calc I might be helpful: SL Calc I review/concerns. If you took it already, never mind Smile
COMPELTED
CLEP: Calculus (75), Precalculus (71), Info Sys and Comp Apps (78), College Mathematics (63), College Algebra (65).
SL: Calc I, Calc II, C++, Intro to Religion, Intro to Business, Business Ethics, Prin of Mgmt, Bus. Law, A&P I, A&P II
Study.com: Principles of Marketing, Microbiology
edX: Intro to Dif. Eq., Linear Dif. Eq.
UND Ind. Study: Discrete Math
APU/AMU: Linear Algebra, Mathmatical Modeling
TECEP: Nutrition
B&M: Far too many!
Thanks everyone for the helpful replies! The UND Discrete course looks like a great option! I'm going to do some further research but it looks like a great way to solve the problem of enrolling in TESC too early vs. taking a break between math courses. Not too pricey, either!

I have not yet taken SL Calc I or II, but I have an older sibling who went through the Thinkwell subscription a few years ago and I think the CDs are around here somewhere... after reading your thread, adavis, I plan to go through those CDs first because of the lesson order issues in SL Calc I. Good to know Khan Academy and Mooculus from OSU are options for practice, too. If SL doesn't work out for me, I'm willing to try going to my local CC, but I'd prefer to keep my learning self-directed as much as possible.
adavis84 Wrote:OP, I jut enrolled in Discrete Math IS at UND last week ... I plan to make a running review of my experience there ...

This appears to be the book they use
http://arts-sciences.und.edu/math/_files...g-2012.pdf

and the syllabus for the in-class version of the course
http://arts-sciences.und.edu/math/facult...llabus.pdf

and I just noticed this at the bottom of the course page
Discrete Mathematics | Online & Distance Education, UND
======================
Lessons & Exams
You have up to 9 months from your enrollment date to complete:

18 Lessons
3 Proctored Exams
======================

3 proctored exams might be a pain

I have no idea how TESC works -- if you have to take proctored exams or how many or what

would definitely love to hear more about the course
bluebooger Wrote:...3 proctored exams might be a pain...

I was(am) also very hesitant about this.

The only thing I know about TESC's Discrete course, I found here: TESC Discrete Math Incase You're Wondering About It

Post #3 mentions the proctoring req for the midterm only. I would MUCH rather deal with one proctored exam over three, but I'm in a similar boat as the OP and can't take courses at TESC until July term at the very earliest and the finals week for that term falls around my wedding, so I'm likely waiting til Aug term to start.

On a different note, I'm most eager to see how quickly I can progress through the UND course and find out to what degree the way in which they have structured assignments/grading will delay it being truly self paced. It appears they have a 30 day full-refund/no penalty withdraw policy. I hope to get a sense of the pace constraints in that time.
COMPELTED
CLEP: Calculus (75), Precalculus (71), Info Sys and Comp Apps (78), College Mathematics (63), College Algebra (65).
SL: Calc I, Calc II, C++, Intro to Religion, Intro to Business, Business Ethics, Prin of Mgmt, Bus. Law, A&P I, A&P II
adavis84 Wrote:On a different note, I'm most eager to see how quickly I can progress through the UND course and find out to what degree the way in which they have structured assignments/grading will delay it being truly self paced. It appears they have a 30 day full-refund/no penalty withdraw policy. I hope to get a sense of the pace constraints in that time.

Great! Believe you me, I will be staying tuned and awaiting your updates. I'm sure you'll be on your way before I need to register. Very helpful, thanks.
[quote=adavis84]
Post #3 mentions the proctoring req for the midterm only. I would MUCH rather deal with one proctored exam over three, but I'm in a similar boat as the OP and can't take courses at TESC until July term at the very earliest and the finals week for that term falls around my wedding, so I'm likely waiting til Aug term to start."

I took Discrete Math from TESC ( December 2014-February 2015). It has 2 proctored ( all multiple choice questions) tests. I took the tests through ProctorU.
Excellent, thanks for the clarification!
COMPELTED

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,670 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Courses/Exams at a Cheaper Price and TESU Admissions Question UnbreakablyDetermined 12 4,463 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU Computer Concepts CIS-107 sambeaux 3 1,966 09-01-2018, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  GPA Question mysonx3 10 2,666 08-26-2018, 11:51 AM
Last Post: katelynn
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,694 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Question about TESU UL Requirements mysonx3 1 1,741 08-21-2018, 10:09 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Equivalency Question dexter1326 4 1,990 08-16-2018, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  TESU Course equivalency question. jbwyo 6 1,993 08-10-2018, 11:00 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Individualised Studies Question Tedium 12 2,819 08-01-2018, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tedium
  TESU Help planning exams for ASNSM in Computer Science theveganmaker 3 1,547 07-27-2018, 10:52 AM
Last Post: theveganmaker