Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mathematics Teaching Degree WGU -in progress!
Finished Finite Mathematics today! Overall easy course that is defiantly passable in less than a week. I probably could have finished it in two days but have had a busy week. Basically I wrote the tasks in an outline format like you would a lesson plan. I would rate the math as very basic and early algebra. So no need to fear this one! I am going to start College Geometry tomorrow. It is also performance assessment. This is what it looks like:

Geometry Foundations
Axiomatic Systems, Performance Task 1
Properties of Geometric Shapes
Lines and Angles
Non-Euclidean Geometry
The Circle
Triangles
Congruence and Similarity
Proofs
Performance Task 2
Quadrilaterals and Higher Order Polygons
Three Dimensional Shapes
Analytic Geometry, Performance Task 3
Transformational Geometry
Geometric Transformations
Geometer's Sketchpad Transformations
Performance Task 4
Performance Task 5
CLEP:College Comp. w/essay, A & I Lit. w/essay, College Algebra, US History 1 & 2, Biology, Human Growth & Development   DSST: Foundations of Edu.  TEEX: Cyber Security 101 & 301 Sophia: Developing Effective Teams The Institutes: Ethics & CPCU Prof. Code.

Straighterline: Intro to Religion, Intro to Com., Western Civ. 1& 2, American Gov, PreCalculus, Intro to Bio Lab

Study.com: Personal Finance, Edu. Psychology, Classroom Management, Special Edu. History & Law, Geology, Civil War & Reconstruction, History of the Vietnam War

2018 WGU BA Mathematics Education (5-9 licensure)

Current Work: VIPKID ESL Teacher and Substitute Teacher

teacher2 Wrote:Finished Finite Mathematics today! Overall easy course that is defiantly passable in less than a week. I probably could have finished it in two days but have had a busy week. Basically I wrote the tasks in an outline format like you would a lesson plan. I would rate the math as very basic and early algebra. So no need to fear this one! I am going to start College Geometry tomorrow. It is also performance assessment. This is what it looks like:

Geometry Foundations
Axiomatic Systems, Performance Task 1
Properties of Geometric Shapes
Lines and Angles
Non-Euclidean Geometry
The Circle
Triangles
Congruence and Similarity
Proofs
Performance Task 2
Quadrilaterals and Higher Order Polygons
Three Dimensional Shapes
Analytic Geometry, Performance Task 3
Transformational Geometry
Geometric Transformations
Geometer's Sketchpad Transformations
Performance Task 4
Performance Task 5

Finished College Geometry today. Umm there was some quirks in Task 1 and 2 unexpectedly. I started this course a week and half ago. Overall I'd say I would have rather transferred this course in because the performance tasks are not quite typical geometry as far as writing the proofs and everything. But it's done!

Also finished Critical Thinking and Logic last Sunday and had my first experience with ProcturU with WGU. The proctur left something on because I could hear him setting other people up for their tests. I eventually had to press the mute button so I could concentrate. But that course was too easy. I did the modules but did not read past the fourth chapter in the recommended book because the modules where pretty complete. This is a switch form what I did with SL where I read the book and did not do their module slides.
The Final is set up very close to the way the Pre-Assesment is and I scored within several points of each other on both tests. This course I would not personally transfer in because it is very easy common sense class and can be finished up within two days. My next class, Cultural Studies and Diversity looks like this:

Diversity and Culture Today
Read, Watch, Explore, Complete
Empathy, Multiple Perspectives, and Worldviews
Personal and Social Barriers to the Appreciation of Diversity
Development of Personal Identity
Culturally Supportive Practices for Various Settings
Performance Task 1- Culture and Diversity and Personal Identity
Effective Communication Practices in a Global Environment
Diversity in Collaborative Environments
Performance Task 2-Diversity and the Educator 2-5 pages long essay

It looks like it has alot of reading and writing but I must admit I wish I had transferred this one in!
CLEP:College Comp. w/essay, A & I Lit. w/essay, College Algebra, US History 1 & 2, Biology, Human Growth & Development   DSST: Foundations of Edu.  TEEX: Cyber Security 101 & 301 Sophia: Developing Effective Teams The Institutes: Ethics & CPCU Prof. Code.

Straighterline: Intro to Religion, Intro to Com., Western Civ. 1& 2, American Gov, PreCalculus, Intro to Bio Lab

Study.com: Personal Finance, Edu. Psychology, Classroom Management, Special Edu. History & Law, Geology, Civil War & Reconstruction, History of the Vietnam War

teacher2 Wrote:Also finished Critical Thinking and Logic last Sunday and had my first experience with ProcturU with WGU. The proctur left something on because I could hear him setting other people up for their tests. I eventually had to press the mute button so I could concentrate. But that course was too easy. I did the modules but did not read past the fourth chapter in the recommended book because the modules where pretty complete. This is a switch form what I did with SL where I read the book and did not do their module slides.
The Final is set up very close to the way the Pre-Assesment is and I scored within several points of each other on both tests. This course I would not personally transfer in because it is very easy common sense class and can be finished up within two days. My next class, Cultural Studies and Diversity looks like this:

Thanks for this - my son just started at WGU and is working on Critical Thinking - he's working through the modules but he didn't mention a text - I'll make sure he reads through Chapter 4 in the book.
Here Researching for my son, who has done the following:
Community College: Intro to Philosophy, Fundamentals of IT, English Comp 1
Saylor: Intro to Business, Principles of  Marketing, Corporate Communication
Shmoop: US History 2 (WGU won't accept this)
ALEKS: Int. Algebra, College Algebra
Study.com: Personal Finance, Principles of Finance, HR Management, Global Business, Advanced Operations Management
Straighterline: US History 2, Environmental Science, US History, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, English Comp 2, Principles of Management, Business Law, Business Ethics, Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Accounting 1,Communication, Managerial Accounting, Statistics
Ed4Credit: Managing Information Systems
Sophia: Project Management
WGU: Bachelors in HR Management 

Second son is currently attending Penn Foster for his high school diploma, then on to Ashworth for An Associates in Criminal Justice
You can find the recommended book reading on the last page of each module. It will link to a book on vitalsource. I finished the modules the day after orientation but didn't take the final till my webcam came in two weeks later. I reviewed the modules before I took my test. Thumbs up on your son's progress!

Back for an update. I finished Cultural Studies and Diversity in two weeks. The longest part of it is waiting between evaluations on this class. I spent a total of five days writing on the Performance tasks and 9 days waiting on the evaluators. The first task is pretty much identifying unique things about yourself and your life-pretty easy! The second task was a little more in depth.

Also I have completed Probability and Statistics 1. Here is what it looked like:

One Categorical Variable Week 1
One Quantitative Variable Week 1
Role-Type Classification, Cases C -> Q and C-> C Week 1
Case Q -> Q & Linear Regression Week 2
Causation Week 2
Sampling Methods Week 3
Designing Studies Week 4
Finding Probability of Events Week 4
Theoretical and Empirical Probability Week 5
Conditional Probability and Independence Week 5

I completed this over the weekend but was rather disappointed in the course. I felt that it didn't deal in depth with statistics and the probability section was rather confusing. Because of my other studies I had learned quite a bit about stats and felt that I only picked up a few things from it. Also the course is through Acrobatiq has 12 modules and 2 checkpoints per module average. The checkpoint questions are alot easier than the Pre-Assessment and Final so that also was a eye-opener.

Working on Educational Assessment right now. Will write more later.

Also I have access to the courses that I have transferred in so it's been interesting seeing what would have been better to take thru WGU and what I am thankful to have transferred in!

You are moving right along! :-)
SL Business Ethics
SL intro to Business
SL Business Law
SL intro to world religion
SL Accounting 1
PF Strategic management
SL organizational behavior
SL Principles of management
SL macroeconomics
SL microeconomics
SL accounting 2
SL intro bus statistics
PF Corporate Finance
PF International Business
PF Marketing
Alek's College Algebra
SL English comp 2
PF market research
PF retail management
PF HR management
SL Business Communication
S.C Principles of Finance
That is all of my requirements completed.!!

BSBA Thomas Edison State University 2016
Thanks SuzanneD! I took my final this morning on my Educational Assessment course and now I am on to Calculus 1.The Educational Assessment course is a objective assessment course. Here is what the Educational Assessment course looks like:

Module 1: Course Mentor Assistance

Unit 2: Using Assessment in Instructional Decision-Making
Module 2: Authentic Assessment
Module 3: Assessment Techniques

Unit 3: Using Assessments to Support Learners with Exceptional Needs
Module 4: English Language Learners
Module 5: Differentiating Instruction and Adaptations
Module 6: Students with Disabilities

Unit 4: Ethical Assessment Practices
Module 7: Ethical Assessment Practices
Module 8: Legal Issues in Assessment Practices

Unit 5: Connection to Assessment Part I
Module 9: Connection to Assessment Part I

Unit 6: Assessment Design and Development
Module 10: Validity and Reliability
Module 11: Bias

Unit 7: Assessment Methods
Module 12: Preparing Achievement Tests
Module 13: Assessment Item Writing: Multiple Choice
Module 14: Assessment Item Writing: True/False, Matching and Interpretive
Module 15: Assessment Item Writing: Short Answer and Essay
Module 16: Performance Assessments
Module 17: Portfolios

Unit 8: Assessment Strategies
Module 18: Assessment Strategies

Unit 9: Assessment and Instructional Alignment
Module 19: Assessment and Instructional Alignment
Module 20: Learning Objectives
Module 21: Bloom's Taxonomy

Unit 10: Connection to Assessment Part II
Module 22: Connection to Assessment Part II

Unit 11: Interpreting and Communicating Assessment Results
Module 23: High Stakes Testing
Module 24: Grading and Reporting
Module 25: Test Talk and Reporting
Module 26: Standardized Tests

Unit 12: Evaluating Assessments
Module 27: Evaluating Assessments Part I
Module 28: Evaluating Assessments Part II
Module 29: Evaluating Assessments Part III

Unit 13: Connection to Assessment Part III
Module 30: Connection to Assessment Part III

Unit 14: Conclusion
Module 31: Preparing for the Assessment

In these modules there are some checkpoint activities but they are not exactly helpful. A basic understanding of English could tell you which word to pick to fill in the blank! Also, there is a 215 pg textbook for required reading, sub-modules(The Iris Center, Educational Impact..etc) and links to articles on other educational websites within the modules. I found that the hardest part was wading through all the different links and going from website to website. One helpful resource I capitalized on where recorded videos by the course mentors that condensed the material related to the competencies. I found it remarkable in this paticular course how well the Pre-Assessment preps you for the Final. After I took both, I compared my coaching reports from both of them and it was pretty identical.

I really enjoyed this course but I think that is in part because I have had some experience in the educational field. I so want to get off the student bench and get back to teaching!

Well done,

You seem to be going at breakneck pace. Could you give us a macro view of this? I'm curious how far along you've come in the total progress and how soon you think you'll be finished.
Goal - BA Mathematics Major at TESC
Plan: International AP Calculus Teacher

COMPLETED: [B]123/B]
B&M (Philosophy, Psychology, Calculus I/II, Physics I/II, Discrete Structures I/II, Comp Sci, Astronomy, Ethics)*42 credits
Athabasca (Nutrition, Globalization)*6 credits
ALEKS (Stats, Precalculus)*6 credits
CLEPS (College Math 73, A&I Lit 73, French 63, Social Sciences and History 59, American Lit 57, English Lit 59)*42 credits
TECEP (English Composition I, II)*6 credits
TESC Courses (MAT 270 Discrete Math A, MAT 321 Linear Algebra B, MAT 331 Calculus III B+, MAT 332 Calculus IV B-,
MAT 361 College Geometry B+, MAT 401 Mathematical Logic B, LIB-495 Capstone B)*21 credits
DSST (MIS, Intro to Computing)*6 credits*(not using)
Thanks OE800_85! As far as a total progress, I completed all the courses in my sig in the space of a year. I begun WGU May 1 2017 and have posted what I have completed. I am currently 57% thru =). Here's the macro view according to my degree plan:

Transfer Courses COMPLETED| Total CU: 55
• Introduction to Communication – C464
• Elements of Effective Communication – C132
• English Composition I – C455
• English Composition II – C456
• Integrated Natural Science – C451
• Integrated Natural Science Applications – C452
• Introduction to Biology – C190
• Foundations of College Mathematics – C457
• Pre-Calculus – C279
• College Algebra – C278
• Introduction to Humanities – C100
• Survey of United States History – C121
• Survey of United States Constitution and Government – C181
• Survey of World History – C375
• Foundational Perspectives of Education – C272
• Classroom Management, Engagement, and Motivation – NBT1
• Fundamentals of Educational Psychology – MZC1

Term 1 (Current)| May 1, 2017 to October 31, 2017 Total CU:25
• Finite Mathematics – C306 05/05/17
• Critical Thinking and Logic – C168 05/14/17
• College Geometry – C281 05/18/17
• Cultural Studies and Diversity – EFP1 05/30/17
• Probability and Statistics I – C280 06/06/17
• Educational Assessment – DRC1 06/13/17
• Calculus I – C282 06/13/17 – 07/31/17

Term 2 | November 1, 2017 to April 30, 2018 UNAPPROVED Total CU: 30
• Middle School Mathematics: Content Knowledge – C286
• Fundamentals of Diversity, Inclusion, and Exceptional Learners – NIC1
• Introduction to Instructional Planning and Presentation – NHC1
• Instructional Planning and Presentation in Mathematics – C113
• Introduction to Preclinical Experiences – ABP1
• Preclinical Experiences in Mathematics – AGP1
• Mathematics History and Technology – C285
• Mathematics Learning and Teaching – C284

Term 3 | November 1, 2018 to April 30, 2019 UNAPPROVED| Total CU: 18
• Supervised Demonstration Teaching in Mathematics, Observations 1 and 2 – C315
• Supervised Demonstration Teaching in Mathematics, Observation 3 and Midterm – C316
• Supervised Demonstration Teaching in Mathematics, Observations 4 and 5 – C317
• Supervised Demonstration Teaching in Mathematics, Observation 6 and Final – C318
• Teacher Work Sample in Mathematics – C345
• Professional Portfolio – C348
Cohort Seminar – C341

My goal is to complete all of my school in two terms instead of three. I have 19 weeks left to this term(Term 1). All the courses in Term 2 I need to complete before January 2018 because all the courses in Term 3 are only offered at two times in the year -August or January. I want to complete all the Term 2 courses in Term 1. I am shooting for May 2018 for graduation. In addition to this, I will be doing the Praxis core(September 2017), Praxis Middle School Mathematics 5169(August 2017), and Praxis Elementary Reading(sometime between now and graduation!) and a ETPA.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Computer Science Degree Help Ad Nauseam 0 27 6 hours ago
Last Post: Ad Nauseam
  WGU Education Degree Path Ad Nauseam 4 202 04-18-2024, 04:44 AM
Last Post: Ad Nauseam
  WGU Master's in Elementary Education - Progress Thread nykorn 1 336 03-22-2024, 11:16 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Wanting a masters degree for IT from WGU benon 10 968 01-21-2024, 04:13 AM
Last Post: benon
  New transfer credit for Master degree - WGU Imbanewbie 16 2,250 01-20-2024, 04:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Masters in HR - anyone accelerate through this degree? Whitepines 4 529 01-05-2024, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Quackerz
  Can you pause your degree? Learnsomestuff 9 1,236 11-17-2023, 10:18 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  BSIT TO MSITM Program - Should I take required Certs before enrolling in degree? Brandon.Thomas.Downer 2 424 11-16-2023, 03:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New degree in Supply Chain & Operations Management MNomadic 3 1,229 11-10-2023, 08:41 AM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Question about class line up for Software Engineering degree Omece 2 973 10-03-2023, 06:26 AM
Last Post: Omece