Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mathematics Teaching Degree WGU -in progress!
Thanks for the detailed breakdown! I wish I knew before how efficiently one could go through these courses I might've followed the same route as you. I went with the math major at TESU and doing a postgrad online. Are you looking to teach abroad, or stay stateside?
Goal - BA Mathematics Major at TESC
Plan: International AP Calculus Teacher

COMPLETED: [B]123/B]
B&M (Philosophy, Psychology, Calculus I/II, Physics I/II, Discrete Structures I/II, Comp Sci, Astronomy, Ethics)*42 credits
Athabasca (Nutrition, Globalization)*6 credits
ALEKS (Stats, Precalculus)*6 credits
CLEPS (College Math 73, A&I Lit 73, French 63, Social Sciences and History 59, American Lit 57, English Lit 59)*42 credits
TECEP (English Composition I, II)*6 credits
TESC Courses (MAT 270 Discrete Math A, MAT 321 Linear Algebra B, MAT 331 Calculus III B+, MAT 332 Calculus IV B-,
MAT 361 College Geometry B+, MAT 401 Mathematical Logic B, LIB-495 Capstone B)*21 credits
DSST (MIS, Intro to Computing)*6 credits*(not using)
It will probably be stateside for a couple of years. I'm considering teaching abroad but am still doing my research on it. I had thought how interesting it would be to teach a year or so in Israel. But I still am doing research into teaching abroad.
CLEP:College Comp. w/essay, A & I Lit. w/essay, College Algebra, US History 1 & 2, Biology, Human Growth & Development   DSST: Foundations of Edu.  TEEX: Cyber Security 101 & 301 Sophia: Developing Effective Teams The Institutes: Ethics & CPCU Prof. Code.

Straighterline: Intro to Religion, Intro to Com., Western Civ. 1& 2, American Gov, PreCalculus, Intro to Bio Lab

Study.com: Personal Finance, Edu. Psychology, Classroom Management, Special Edu. History & Law, Geology, Civil War & Reconstruction, History of the Vietnam War

2018 WGU BA Mathematics Education (5-9 licensure)

Current Work: VIPKID ESL Teacher and Substitute Teacher

Well, let me know if you or anyone else on the forums has questions about that. I worked in recruitment for these jobs a couple years and decided to pursue it myself. Best of luck!
Goal - BA Mathematics Major at TESC
Plan: International AP Calculus Teacher

COMPLETED: [B]123/B]
B&M (Philosophy, Psychology, Calculus I/II, Physics I/II, Discrete Structures I/II, Comp Sci, Astronomy, Ethics)*42 credits
Athabasca (Nutrition, Globalization)*6 credits
ALEKS (Stats, Precalculus)*6 credits
CLEPS (College Math 73, A&I Lit 73, French 63, Social Sciences and History 59, American Lit 57, English Lit 59)*42 credits
TECEP (English Composition I, II)*6 credits
TESC Courses (MAT 270 Discrete Math A, MAT 321 Linear Algebra B, MAT 331 Calculus III B+, MAT 332 Calculus IV B-,
MAT 361 College Geometry B+, MAT 401 Mathematical Logic B, LIB-495 Capstone B)*21 credits
DSST (MIS, Intro to Computing)*6 credits*(not using)
FINALLY! After spending the last three weeks studying for the Praxis 5169, I decided to take a break and knock out Fundamentals of Diversity, Inclusion and Exceptional Learners course. I started studying it on Friday and took my final at 3:00 today (Sunday). I flew through the course mainly due to having taken Special Education History and Law through Study.com. There was tremendous overlap between the two courses but a little review never hurt anybody! The course had moderate reading, Educational Impact videos and Iris Modules. The course mentor videos were very helpful in narrowing down the info needed for the Assessments. Here is what the class looked like:

Legal Implications of Special Education
-Public Law
Identifying Student Needs
-Characteristics and Criteria
-Identification and Intervention
-Inclusion Continuum and Service Delivery Models
Relationships, Partnerships, Advocacy, and Collaboration
-Community Collaboration
-Ethics
-Student Voice
-Family Relations and Partnerships
Instructional Strategies in Special Education
-Instructional Strategies
-Instructional Planning
English Language Learning
-Instruction for English Language Learners
-Lesson Plan Adaptation
-Grouping Students for Instruction
-Instructional Strategies
Behavioral Intervention Strategies
-Behavioral Intervention
Technology and Accommodations for Students with Special Needs
-Accommodation
-Technology
Assessment Practices
-Research-Based and Data-Driven Assessment
CLEP:College Comp. w/essay, A & I Lit. w/essay, College Algebra, US History 1 & 2, Biology, Human Growth & Development   DSST: Foundations of Edu.  TEEX: Cyber Security 101 & 301 Sophia: Developing Effective Teams The Institutes: Ethics & CPCU Prof. Code.

Straighterline: Intro to Religion, Intro to Com., Western Civ. 1& 2, American Gov, PreCalculus, Intro to Bio Lab

Study.com: Personal Finance, Edu. Psychology, Classroom Management, Special Edu. History & Law, Geology, Civil War & Reconstruction, History of the Vietnam War

Last night I took the Praxis Core Math 5732 got an unofficial score of 198!!!  My jaw dropped as that is 2 points away from the highest score of 200! I thought it might be helpful for others considering teaching to write my experience with this test and how I prepared for it.

My particular test did not have very many Geometry problems just normal Surface Area, Volume, Circles, Angles, Pythagorean Theorem.
As far as the Probability and Statistics I saw a sprinkling of correlation and simple probability, Histograms, Tables and graphs.
I did not see any permutation or combination problems.
Saw a good bit dealing with fractions,percentages, working with algebraic equations, equations of lines, and a few Venn diagrams. Also you need to know how to tell if y is a function of x both tabular and graphically. Calculating percents, scientific notation

The math is not complicated in that there is no trig or logarithm problems.  I have passed CLEP College Algebra and have taken CLEP College Mathematics practice tests which in my opinion were more difficult than this test.  

The hardest thing on the test is the time and the amount of word problems. You are given 85 minutes to 56 questions which works out to be roughly a minute and a half per question. One of the most important things about this test is being able to decipher word problems and write the proper equation from the word problems. I would recommend highly, if this is a weakness, to practice word problems of all varieties. The test was difficult on time mainly because roughly 70% of it were word problems. When I was home schooled, we used Saxon Math for a curriculum which was excellent when it came to deciphering word problems and how to avoid the "extra" information the test writers throw in there.

I am studying for Middle School Mathematics Praxis 5169 so I simultaneously was studying for this test as well. I have been working with Pre Calculus and College Algebra  and above math for awhile so I walked into this test thinking it would be on that level which rather surprised me as the math was not of that nature. It was slightly harder than the Barron's  Here is what I used to prep:

Saxon Advanced Mathematics-( I have used this book in every math class and test I have ever taken because it is such a great book!)
Barron's Praxis Core Exams 2015-(Mainly for the practice tests and to get a general feel for the knowledge needed for the test )
Exam Edge Middle School Math Practice Tests-(These were paid for by WGU for my other Praxis Test so I used them in prep for this one)
ETS Middle School Mathematics Practice Test -(also paid for by WGU for my next Praxis)
2008 College board CLEP College Algebra Practice Tests
2008 College board CLEP College Mathematics Practice Tests
Dr. Shoreman's College Algebra CLEP CD and Practice tests.
Khan Academy Geometry and Algebra(mainly just for review when I was too tired to do anything mathy)

EDIT: Received my score report and thought I could share some data for anyone who might be compiling a range of scores like what I have listed in a post about my Praxis 5169
                                  Raw Score    Number    Average Performance Range (according to ETS score report)
Number & Quantity           14              16                      8-12
Algebra                               12              15                      6-10
Geometry                             9                9                      3-5
Probability & Statistics      10              10                      5-7

[-] The following 1 user Likes teacher2's post:
  • Tennesseegirl87
Completed another course while on the way to Praxis 5169! I have been buckling down and pressing to complete as many courses as I can by Sept 1. I was discussing Demonstration Teaching with my Student Mentor two weeks ago wherein I learned that in order to enter the spring cohort I had to fulfill certain requirements and have 12 or less CU's remaining by Sept. 1. Upon further research in the Field Handbook, I learned that in order to enter the spring DT, I must apply for it between June 1-September 1. I completely should have researched this!!!! I am currently at 17 CU's remaining and have completed some of the requirements. I am feeling a bit stressed as my Praxis 5169 test is this Friday and my next course is promising to be more time consuming with both an objective and performance assessment. I think at most I can complete one more course which would bring me down to four left. I am hoping that if I can do this and finish most of the remaining requirements, perhaps I would be allowed to apply on conditions. By December, I will definantly have all my courses and other requirements done. I kick myself for not researching this earlier as this blunder may cost me another 6 month term at WGU. I have listed the requirements for anyone who might be curious.

Preclinical Observation Requirements (MUST BE DONE BEFORE YOU CAN APPLY FOR DEMONSTRATION TEACHING)

Completed
-School and District Request
-Resume
-Preclinical Experience Background Clearance
-Preclinical Experience Orientation
-Professional Liability Insurance

Uncompleted
-Basic Skills Exam Scores (have Math scores in)
-Preclinical Experience Verification (This is where you verify that a school will host your PCE)

DT Approval Requirements

Completed
Demonstration Teaching Background Clearance

Uncompleted
Content Exam Registration
Demonstration Teaching Cohort Confirmation
Mentor Evaluation

And now for the good news! I finished Introduction to Instructional Planning and Presentation this afternoon. I spent all day Saturday,Sunday and part of Monday (26 hours) studying. I found the information to be interesting but maybe not as well organized as Fundamentals of Diversity class I took last weekend.
The Teacher College has switched over to the competency grading system now -which I do not like! The Pre-Assessment was very close to the final on this one which was comforting as I was pretty tired!
These Educational Tests are very very situational so it makes the tests slightly harder. Overall this course has some overlap from prior courses and yet building on them as well. I am pretty thankful I took the Educational Courses through Study.com as I feel that they gave me a basic intro for the courses I am doing now. If time were on my side, I would have grouping all my pedagogy courses together as it saves a little time with the facts fresh in mind from each prior course.
Here is what the course looked like:

Communication and Student Success (BOLD ARE COMPETENCIES)
-Student Interactions
-Parent-Teacher Communication
-Productive Parent Conferences
-Communicating with Colleagues
Developing Academic Language
-Supporting the Development of Academic Vocabulary
-Language Demands
Technology, Pedagogy, Instruction, and Learning
-Technology and Instruction
Creating Effective Learning Environments
-Physical Learning Environments
-Academic Learning Environments
-Social and Emotional Learning Environments
Designing Learning Outcomes
-Standards
-Objectives
-Taxonomies
Identifying, Incorporating, and Evaluating Learning Resources
-Learning Resources and Instruction
Role of Assessment
-Using Assessment to Support Learning
Facilitating Learning
-Instructional Strategies for Whole Group Instruction
-Instructional Strategies for Small Group Instruction
-Student-Centered Approaches to Learning and Instruction
-Differentiating Instruction
Synthesis in the Instructional Cycle
-Instructional Planning

Took the Praxis 5169 Middle School Mathematics today. I passed with a 179. The test I would say was comparable to the College Algebra CLEP in difficulty. It tested a wide range of Algebra, Geometry, Probability and Statistics questions. Here are some of the areas I would be sure to have down to others taking this test.

Arithmetic Sequences
Reading and Constructing Venn Diagram questions
Parabolas and linear functions
Evaluating Functions at points
Parabolas-How many times do they cross the x axis. And how to figure the equation of one given some points and roots.
What is the best way to represent data-e.g Histogram, Pie graph, Double Bar Chart etc..
LOTS of Median, Mean, Shape of curve, Interpreting Data questions.
Ratios and Proportions
Mixture problems
Area and volume
KNOW the (N-2)x180=Total # angles in a n-gon and the Diagonal Formula as well.
I only had three probability problems at most of which one was figuring out Geometric probability.

I know these topics sound easy am sure I will remember more later but I suppose this is enough for now!

On another forum I found this list of data that people who had taken this test and compiled their scores. Note: there are 55 questions on the test. 34 are Algebra and 21 are Geometry.

Algebra Geometry Raw Score Scaled
18           11               29         161
19           10               29         163
30           11               31         165
22           11               33         172
20           14               34         173
22           12               34         175
24           11               35         178
26          10                36         180
25          11                36         182
24          13                37         183
26          15                41         190
27          14                41         190
28          16                44         200

Usually every State has its official passing score. TN passing score for this test was 165

My Practice Test Scores:
ETS FORM 1 Practice Test
25            13              38        184
31            15               46       200

EXAM EDGE Practice Test
                                  39        156
                                  42        163
                                  43        166
                                  47        176

ACTUAL PRAXIS Score
  23          14            37           179

I used the resources I listed for my Praxis Core Math test. I found the ETS practice test to be pretty accurate on the type and gauge of difficulty of the actual test. The Exam Edge where pretty decent as well. Also used my trusty ole College Algebra CLEP tests!

[-] The following 1 user Likes teacher2's post:
  • acamp
I hope my frequent posting lately hasn't been annoying to folks! I passed the objective assessment of Instructional Planning and Presentation in Mathematics today. I have never taken a test that I felt so.. I did not know what to choose! I did pretty decent on the test somehow. This test was hard because it asks you for the best instructional practice for situations and yet in the textbook and resources it gives you a list of good instructional practices (not which ones are the best). So it really seemed to boil down to the English of the sentence and if this where a real situation what would I do. The textbook and other material is 80% repeat of the Intro to Instructional Practices course.
I am currently working on the performance assessment which is Lesson Plan. Unfortunately, I started my lesson plan, picked a state standard and wrote my objective, and even wrote out my grouping strategies and Information Presentation then decided to watch the course mentor video on tips for Lesson planning. When I started it, I realized the sample lesson plan in the video had my exact objective and state standard! I was completely baffled! So to avoid being accused of plagiarism I am starting from scratch again.

Inquired about probationary acceptance into the spring cohort. My mentor told me that because I had reduced my credits down to 14 left (after I complete this current course) before September 1, I had a chance. She told me that if I completed the remaining credits, and got the rest of my Praxis scores in by November 15, I would be permitted to enter the spring cohort. November 15 is the date of the last audit for people who met the September 1 deadline of 12 credits or less. However, there are two catches. One, I have to find my own Demonstration Teaching placement. WGU will not do it because I entered in so late. Second, I will have to pay a late fee ($55) on top of the DT fee of $1000. I figure it has to be cheaper than paying for another term and delaying graduation another 6 months!

All in all pressing on...

Hi! Congrats on your achievements! You are doing a great job. I am also in a degree program for my teacher licensure at WGU. I recently passed Intro to Pych Ed and am contemplating taking Fundamentals of Diversity, Inclusion and Exceptional Learners course next. I think I completed Pych Ed in about a week. Any tips for guidance? I also have to complete Educational Assessment. Thanks and keep up hard work!
Hey student-teacher-student glad to see a fellow student pursuing teaching (we got alot of business and IT here)! As far as the Fundamentals of Diversity,Inclusion course and the Educational Assessment. I recommend taking Fundamentals first then taking the other course but they are pretty close to each other. They have lots of overlap. I took a week for Edu. Assessment and three days for Fundamentals.  They were both very situational which is fine for me but definitely as you are studying write down or mentally keep tabs of the differences and comparisons of terms(e.g Formative Assessment-can be informal/formal, used during instruction, not always assigned a grade. Summative Assessment -mostly formal, usually given at the end of instruction, this you assign a grade to.)  I also found that these tests had a huge focus on ELL learners.

Also I found what helped me go faster through these last three courses was to study about 75% of the way through the course (Day 1)then take the Pre-Assessment. Usually the course mentors will send you a study guide which sometimes has Powerpoints or videos that condense the material down. Also I would review the questions in the PreAssessment and shore up what I didn't know (Day 2) then shore up some more and take the Pre--Assesment again then take the final(Day 3). You can definitely do this! What else do you have to take? Which program are you in?

Also on to what has become my weekly to bi-weekly update! On friday I finished Math Learning and Teaching. The course was a performance assessment. I had three tasks: the first I had to observe a teacher teaching a lesson and identify the NCTM standards he was employing. The second task I had to create a performance task and its rubric, quiz and its answer sheet, and a statistics writing prompt that encouraged meta-cognition and explain my rationale behind it. The third task was creating a problem based lesson plan where the students did more exploratory learning and teacher was just a facilitator. Also had to explain each piece of the problem plan.  Overall was a pretty easy class that only took a week. Required a lot of writing but I did not read through all the material. I think it was easy for me because of the experience I have had in this field so creating the lesson plan was not hard at all. The hardest was all the writing involved because WGU requires the lesson plans to be extremely detailed down to where the teacher is in the classroom in each section of the lesson plan. They encourage it to be so detailed the evaluators can "see" the lesson.

Also passed my Reading Praxis core 5722 today with a perfect score of 200! It was not hard and not easy. It wasn't hard like A& I Lit Clep in that there was no Poetry, Prose or questions asking for literary terms. It was not easy as I would say 3/4 of the exam asked questions that required you to read the whole passage in order to answer. Unlike my other tests I was really pressed for time on this one. I made my first run through and had 45 minutes on the clock. So I made my second run through the test and only had 14 minutes left. At that point I felt pretty confident and told myself it would be what it would be. Normally I keep to a schedule of three runs per test but it worked out for this one!

To study for it, I used my CLEP A & I Lit test and English Composition test. I have the Barron's Core test prep book but when it comes to reading it was AWFUL!!!!! The test question in this book are worthless outside of math. I basically used my notes from A&I lit and English Comp. CLEP. I do feel that on the scale of those two tests and this Praxis, the Praxis is easier.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Computer Science Degree Help Ad Nauseam 4 225 04-23-2024, 06:23 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  WGU Education Degree Path Ad Nauseam 4 265 04-18-2024, 04:44 AM
Last Post: Ad Nauseam
  WGU Master's in Elementary Education - Progress Thread nykorn 1 362 03-22-2024, 11:16 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Wanting a masters degree for IT from WGU benon 10 978 01-21-2024, 04:13 AM
Last Post: benon
  New transfer credit for Master degree - WGU Imbanewbie 16 2,284 01-20-2024, 04:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Masters in HR - anyone accelerate through this degree? Whitepines 4 534 01-05-2024, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Quackerz
  Can you pause your degree? Learnsomestuff 9 1,276 11-17-2023, 10:18 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  BSIT TO MSITM Program - Should I take required Certs before enrolling in degree? Brandon.Thomas.Downer 2 434 11-16-2023, 03:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New degree in Supply Chain & Operations Management MNomadic 3 1,238 11-10-2023, 08:41 AM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Question about class line up for Software Engineering degree Omece 2 990 10-03-2023, 06:26 AM
Last Post: Omece