Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Merrimack College - online Masters in CS with SE concentration for non-majors
https://onlinedsa.merrimack.edu/masters-...r-science/

from their website, it says cost is 'below $20k.."

no CS pre-req needed. Everything's integrated into their 32 credit program.
[-] The following 2 users Like nyvrem's post:
  • jch, MNomadic
(09-05-2021, 09:35 PM)nyvrem Wrote: https://onlinedsa.merrimack.edu/masters-...r-science/

Interesting find.The thing is that even 10-15k is a crazy amount of money to pay right now for a degree. We don't know exactly what's going to happen to our economies moving forward. I wish there was a reputable CS master's from a public institution for under 5k. The closest one I could find is a master's from a UK university at 6k pounds, but it has a horrible name. But 20k is a horrible debt that will cripple your income for years, unless you're already making six figures or your job picks up the bill on the degree.
i think there's quite a few UK Masters in CS that's around 6k pounds?

University of York seems to be the highest ranked Uni w/ a MS in CS program for non majors, but that's about 7k pounds+

The upgrad MS in CS program is around 5k pounds.
They also have small student to faculty ratio and a 75% graduation rate.
It looks like Merrimack has a High career placement rate in the upper 90%. Science and engineering 96% and school of business 98%
Very interesting and certainly a good option for some people depending on their goals. I find it interesting that it's billed as only part time and a year long, yet promises to get someone with no programming background up to the masters level in that time frame while something like the UPenn Online MCIT, which is also geared towards non CS people, takes 16-40 months and isn't a "full MS CS."

Either way, I'm glad to see more of these online masters programs for career switchers.

(09-05-2021, 10:51 PM)Stoic Wrote:
(09-05-2021, 09:35 PM)nyvrem Wrote: https://onlinedsa.merrimack.edu/masters-...r-science/

Interesting find.The thing is that even 10-15k is a crazy amount of money to pay right now for a degree. We don't know exactly what's going to happen to our economies moving forward. I wish there was a reputable CS master's from a public institution for under 5k. The closest one I could find is a master's from a UK university at 6k pounds, but it has a horrible name. But 20k is a horrible debt that will cripple your income for years, unless you're already making six figures or your job picks up the bill on the degree.
There's the Georgia Tech OMSCS for I believe ~$7k. That's a really good price for a high ranked CS program.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(09-06-2021, 02:49 PM)Ok MNomadic Wrote: Very interesting and certainly a good option for some people depending on their goals. I find it interesting that it's billed as only part time and a year long, yet promises to get someone with no programming background up to the masters level in that time frame while something like the UPenn Online MCIT, which is also geared towards non CS people, takes 16-40 months and isn't a "full MS CS."

Either way, I'm glad to see more of these online masters programs for career switchers.

(09-05-2021, 10:51 PM)Stoic Wrote:

There's the Georgia Tech OMSCS for I believe ~$7k. That's a really good price for a high ranked CS program.
Yes I think one year would be pushing it. It’s a 32 credit program and states that if you have some programming or cs training that you can spend more time on senior capstone or advanced algorithms, so it sounds like it’s tailored to fit each individually. 

I agree Georgia tech omscs is the best deal out there. It will be up to each individual as to which program fits their objectives , commitments, and obligations. I’m not very familiar with a grad setting but I would assume that top programs are also very competitive, demanding , and time consuming. Not everybody has the same background , available time to commit and overall competitive stamina. Some of these smaller programs may provide more personal and one on one educational relationships to help a person who needs such to succeed. At the end of the day the Goal is to make it to the finish line. Attending a top ten program for $10k isn’t a great deal if a person can’t finish it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ENEB to UK top up masters possible? Atoshi 1 103 7 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Gardner-Webb University: 10-12 month online MBA? PaperAssistant 7 287 04-18-2024, 10:33 PM
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 9 752 04-18-2024, 11:46 AM
Last Post: MichiganMax
  best MBA/Masters in Finance programs after UMPI? CFPhopeful 7 502 04-07-2024, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Mjake260
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 27 18,103 04-07-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: David1477
  SMC name change to Signum Magnum College - Free MBA?! bjcheung77 6 683 04-03-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: cacoleman1983
  New Zealand Online Degrees doyouhowdo1 1 354 03-31-2024, 10:46 AM
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 633 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  Czech 100% online MBA and DBA for 3k/5k David1477 7 542 03-25-2024, 08:34 PM
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 696 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM