Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Microbiology in 8 weeks?
Hello  Big Grin 

Registration for our class has opened up and I'm sort of trying to sort my schedule out for the following half of 2020. I am honestly thinking of taking microbiology in the summer , but I hear that it's Intense yet doable? Should I wait out of take this in the  fall of 2020?
(10-02-2019, 09:54 AM)2L8 Wrote: Hello  Big Grin 

Registration for our class has opened up and I'm sort of trying to sort my schedule out for the following half of 2020. I am honestly thinking of taking microbiology in the summer , but I hear that it's Intense yet doable? Should I wait out of take this in the  fall of 2020?

Mine was a summer class but it was the only class I took.
Full disclosure, I had a lot of pre-existing knowledge as it related to bacteria and viruses that cause food-borne illness (I've kept my sanitation/food safety license active since 1988) but there was certainly a lot to learn and it will matter whether or not your instructor requires proper spelling - which is a nightmare in microbiology!
Depends on what other classes, how much you'll be working, if you have other responsibilities, etc.

(10-02-2019, 05:35 PM)Ideas Wrote: Depends on what other classes, how much you'll be working, if you have other responsibilities, etc.

That will be my only class , I won't be working and my hands will be empty.
I would definitely do it then. Summer classes definitely can lighten your load in the other semesters or speed up your progress. 3 credits accelerated is like 6 credits at regular pace. But keep in mind that 1 regular pace lab credit is more like 2-2.5 regular pace credits. So with lab, it may be like 10-11 credits in my opinion.

It depends. What degree will you obtain? Do you have prior knowledge? How are your study skills? How busy will you be? Basically, know thy self.

I'm generally not a fan of sciences in the summer for young people, nursing majors, respiratory therapy, medicine majors, etc. I think they should take it slowly and spend the summer doing internships, enrichment activities, working a job, building clinical experience (to find out if being a clinician is what you really want) and preparing for the fall and spring semester. A sure-fire way to set your self up for an A or A+ in anything competitive like nursing or medicine is to read the textbook and do the textbook exercises before you take the class... this is partly what you should be doing in the summer and winter.

If getting a B or C won't ruin your chances, then yes... I'd say go for it and get done faster. It really depends on your personal situation.

If you are a disciplined person, then you can go to the bio department ahead of time and find out what book(s) they use, grab a used copy somewhere, and finish the book on your own, making flashcards and notes along the way.  After all, books are absent teachers.
Then you can just register as usual during a longer semester. Going in with a solid knowledge base will lighten your load considerably and boost your GPA. I believe this is the safer bet, and it's what many pre-med people do in the summer.
[-] The following 1 user Likes indigoshuffle's post:
  • 2L8
(10-02-2019, 10:34 PM)indigoshuffle Wrote:

It depends. What degree will you obtain? Do you have prior knowledge? How are your study skills? How busy will you be? Basically, know thy self.

I'm generally not a fan of sciences in the summer for young people, nursing majors, respiratory therapy, medicine majors, etc. I think they should take it slowly and spend the summer doing internships, enrichment activities, working a job, building clinical experience (to find out if being a clinician is what you really want) and preparing for the fall and spring semester. A sure-fire way to set your self up for an A or A+ in anything competitive like nursing or medicine is to read the textbook and do the textbook exercises before you take the class... this is partly what you should be doing in the summer and winter.

If getting a B or C won't ruin your chances, then yes... I'd say go for it and get done faster. It really depends on your personal situation.

I'm trying to get into nursing school , I don't have prior knowledge and technically my hands are free for the summer. I am redoing my "B" classes like human development and english in the fall.
(10-02-2019, 10:42 PM)2L8 Wrote:

I'm trying to get into nursing school , I don't have prior knowledge and technically my hands are free for the summer. I am redoing my "B" classes like human development and english in the fall.

I just updated my post. Basically, consider slowing down a bit (which is not really slowing down) and review the material on your own during the summer. This is what I did in nursing school. I personally did not feel that the summer class was worth the risk. As a nursing student, you had better be very careful with your GPA.
(10-02-2019, 10:34 PM)indigoshuffle Wrote: [quote='2L8' pid='296917' dateline='1570028051']
Hello  Big Grin 

If you are a disciplined person, then you can go to the bio department ahead of time and find out what book(s) they use, grab a used copy somewhere, and finish the book on your own, making flashcards and notes along the way.  A

Love that advice! I second that!!
(10-03-2019, 06:45 AM)cookderosa Wrote:

If you are a disciplined person, then you can go to the bio department ahead of time and find out what book(s) they use, grab a used copy somewhere, and finish the book on your own, making flashcards and notes along the way.  A

Love that advice! I second that!!
 I just brought the book Blush I'm gonna study soon

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Is It Possible to Become Fluent in Chinese in Just 9 Weeks?? LevelUP 27 3,141 04-17-2023, 07:03 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  AP2 in 8 weeks (Summer semester) or Micro 2L8 3 1,264 02-02-2020, 03:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  nervous, clueless, and less than two weeks time :( blaczkowitz 22 4,592 12-22-2017, 04:24 AM
Last Post: blaczkowitz
  BA in 16-18 weeks? MrCooperTHE1 93 10,800 08-21-2017, 10:55 PM
Last Post: RANSOMSOUL
  Review of Straighterline's Microbiology Course sanantone 20 8,379 07-23-2016, 10:03 AM
Last Post: Nixi
  HELP! - I need Upper Level Liberal Arts Credit in 3 weeks! Qwerty56 14 2,022 07-17-2016, 04:18 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  2 WEEKS left before DSST Civil War and Reconstruction Exam!! Raiders20 6 1,599 06-28-2016, 08:53 AM
Last Post: musictester
  15 credits two weeks! djam303 5 1,802 05-01-2016, 09:17 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Taking American History II in 3 weeks, Tips? sammy15 1 686 12-27-2015, 04:16 PM
Last Post: All-American
  Almost Done with Straighterline Microbiology!!! cypster 10 9,768 10-19-2015, 05:06 PM
Last Post: cypster