Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More crazy nutty student debt...
Exfactor Wrote:This actually isn't true. When I was at Morehouse the people I knew who were graduating were on their way to Harvard, Yale, Columbia or just accepted jobs at Google (best friend), Microsoft ect. While the people I knew who went to Florida, Florida State, Texas A&M, Texas Tech; were all struggling trying to figure out what they were going to do with their lives. If they weren't at those schools on the basis of athletics.

HBCUs Produce the Most Black Alums Who Receive Doctorates in Science and Engineering
TECH-Levers: HBCUs Produce the Most Black Alums Who Receive Doctorates in Science and Engineering

Xavier University (Top feeder school for Black Medical Students)
https://www.jbhe.com/2013/03/the-top-fee...-students/

NIH data also shows that the nation's top 10 producers of undergraduates who go on to earn doctorates in science and engineering are from HBCUs.

For HBCUs, the Proof Is in the Productivity*|*Jarrett L. Carter

Just from my experience; the chances of me coming across an African American JD, MD, Ph.D, DVM from an HBCU increases greatly over one who attended a PWI.

HBCU's generally nurture their student populations in ways of which they get left behind at PWI's. Just from my experience, I have encountered more successful African American grads from HBUC's than PWI's. When I attended Morehouse, my dorm hall had the kid who father was a millionaire, two doors down, and one door down was the kind who came from a single family home; it was really a mixture of economic statuses. But the point it, a great deal were on academic scholarships that made their attendance affordable to that of public institutions;however, when the financial crisis occurred a great deal of these students had scholarships that dried up, were loans became their only option; especially for a junior or senior.

Most of this post is anecdotal and uses the higher-ranked HBCUs as examples. Of course, there are usually better outcomes at higher-ranked schools. The top-rated HBCUs don't even have room to educate even 1% of black college students, so, obviously, most black students will never have the opportunity to attend one of the better HBCUs. When you look at HBCUs, in general, the graduation rates for black students are lower. When you control for test scores and socioeconomic status, the graduation rates are about the same. Your stories of students having their scholarships cut at HBCUs applies to a very, very small population of students because not even 10% of black students attend HBCUs.

https://www.jbhe.com/2013/11/discouragin...-at-hbcus/
https://www.jbhe.com/2014/11/tracking-bl...-at-hbcus/

All public colleges and universities faced cuts during the economic downturn. A lot of private colleges and universities received less donations during the economic downturn.

When I read the article you posted about black medical students, I don't see a trend. You have some top HBCUs on the top 10 list, but over half of the list has non-HBCUs. It doesn't show an overall trend of HBCUs outperforming non-HBCUs.

On to the article about earning doctorates in science and engineering. HBCUs do not produce the most earners of doctorates in science and engineering. The article specifically states that 26% of black recipients of doctorates in science and engineering earned their undergraduate degrees from HBCUs. Of the top 50 list of schools that produce the most black earners of doctorates in science and engineering, 21 of them are HBCUs. That means that most of the schools on the top 50 list are not HBCUs and 74% of earners of doctorates did not graduate from an HBCU. You can argue that HBCUs produce a disproportionate number of black alums who go on to complete doctorates, but they do not produce most of the black doctorates. When you take a closer look at the lists, you can see that schools like Howard produce a disproportionate number of doctorate earners among the HBCUs. All in all, from the article that you posted, the chance of you coming across a black holder of a doctoral degree who earned his or her undergraduate degree from a non-HBCU is much higher.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
davewill Wrote:It was NOT their only option. They could have transferred. Taking the loans may have been a good option, if it didn't put them too far into debt, but it was definitely not their only option.

Go tell that to a student with 80 or 90 credits that transferring is an option when most schools require 60 in-house semester hours. Matter of fact the school I attended created scholarships just to keep such students in school.
Exfactor Wrote:Go tell that to a student with 80 or 90 credits that transferring is an option when most schools require 60 in-house semester hours. Matter of fact the school I attended created scholarships just to keep such students in school.

I'm not sure if that is true of most schools. I don't know if anyone has data on that, but even if it is true, there are still a lot of schools that have only a 25% residency requirement. The biggest problem with transferring is not the number of credits accepted, but the number of credits that will fit into the new school's program. I can't remember why you transferred to Excelsior, but you did and you finished.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Exfactor Wrote:Go tell that to a student with 80 or 90 credits that transferring is an option when most schools require 60 in-house semester hours. Matter of fact the school I attended created scholarships just to keep such students in school.

I think it's closer to 30 credits of residency, rather than 60, for most schools.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

And again, I would like to point out that it's a choice. If you're 90 credits into a program at Morehouse, and it's $26,000 for Tuition and fees plus another $13k in room & board for a year, you're looking at $39k.

You could transfer back to your local college, and it would be closer to $8000 for tuition and fees and no room and board (assuming that you lived with your parents and went to the average-cost state university). If you could transfer all of your credits, you would save $$31k. Even if you couldn't, and it would take you an additional year to finish, you would still save $23k.

All I want to continue to say is it's all about the choices we make.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
If you're three years into a program at an expensive, private school and lose a scholarship, wouldn't you still finish with well under $100k in debt?
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Biden Administration's Student Loan Debt Plan Masterthread ashkir 47 4,637 04-20-2023, 02:52 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Study.Com student or teacher login? acamp 6 770 03-29-2023, 06:27 AM
Last Post: acamp
  ACE 2022 Student of The Year ashkir 0 613 12-19-2022, 06:26 PM
Last Post: ashkir
Question Why Do People Get So Crazy on Political Forums, According to AI? LevelUP 3 808 11-04-2022, 04:39 AM
Last Post: Kire
  Student Loan Forgiveness Application is Live ashkir 0 5,311 10-14-2022, 10:25 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  National Transfer Student Week Alpha 0 458 10-05-2022, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Student discounts (valid for multiple countries) rachel83az 3 748 07-29-2022, 01:12 PM
Last Post: Stacie
  Student Loan Forgiveness dodek101 31 4,073 07-29-2022, 01:08 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Student signs up for class, finds out 2 months in that his professor died 2 years ago studyingfortests 5 749 07-27-2022, 05:32 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  $347,000 in student debt who can't land a job... bjcheung77 12 1,608 07-18-2022, 08:32 PM
Last Post: Alpha