Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motivations behind multiple degrees
My wife had twins six years ago. I had previously been involved in many community activities and needed some way to achieve something when I was pretty much homebound with the new kids. It gave me something to focus on so that I didn't go crazy. Also, my wife and I are planning to retire from teaching in three years and move back to her home area and multiple degrees give me flexibility in terms of jobs.
[-] The following 4 users Like eriehiker's post:
  • CarpeDiem8, Muldoon, suzycupcake, videogamesrock
Since I pretty much only have AOS left to tackle - have 87 credits going (75 completed and 12 bought) and only 1 class left to buy and complete for Gen Ed, I'm going to guess that I missed the opportunity to complete a double major without having to take a bunch of extra courses in the process.

Of course, there's nothing stopping me from doing the extra credits, but like you said, it will be more time and money spent in order to do so.

I haven't left it off the plate of options, but if I'm picking up what you're putting down, it looks like I missed the boat on this one.
BALS (Social Sciences) + ASNSM in CS - Sept 2022 TESU graduate
Technically, depending on your second major, you haven't "missed" the boat. Example, If you were going for a BALS as a check the box degree, and you wanted to add the Psychology as a double major, you're still on target as long as the Upper Level requirements are met. You can dump 3 Psych UL into the BALS and get two more UL in any Liberal Studies subject. List all your credits, from your B&M to ACE/NCCRS, etc...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(07-07-2019, 11:48 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Technically, depending on your second major, you haven't "missed" the boat.   Example, If you were going for a BALS as a check the box degree, and you wanted to add the Psychology as a double major, you're still on target as long as the Upper Level requirements are met.   You can dump 3 Psych UL into the BALS and get two more UL in any Liberal Studies subject.   List all your credits, from your B&M to ACE/NCCRS, etc...

There is literally zero point in having a double-major in Psych and Liberal Studies, so I wouldn't waste my time with that.  Instead, you would just go for the Psych degree and skip the BALS.  Then, if for some reason you were to need to switch for some reason you could - but you should either get one or the other of those degrees, not both.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • jsd
(07-07-2019, 11:53 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(07-07-2019, 11:48 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Technically, depending on your second major, you haven't "missed" the boat.   Example, If you were going for a BALS as a check the box degree, and you wanted to add the Psychology as a double major, you're still on target as long as the Upper Level requirements are met.   You can dump 3 Psych UL into the BALS and get two more UL in any Liberal Studies subject.   List all your credits, from your B&M to ACE/NCCRS, etc...

There is literally zero point in having a double-major in Psych and Liberal Studies, so I wouldn't waste my time with that.  Instead, you would just go for the Psych degree and skip the BALS.  Then, if for some reason you were to need to switch for some reason you could - but you should either get one or the other of those degrees, not both.

Yep, then I missed the boat as I don't intend to do a double major with Psych + BALS. It would be something like Psych and another major, such as Comm. Since I have done most needed for GE it would be more like 2 simultaneous degrees at this point, but both BA's from the same house, which is stupid.

Thanks!

Danielle
(07-07-2019, 12:08 PM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote:
(07-07-2019, 11:53 AM)dfrecore Wrote:

Yep, then I missed the boat as I don't intend to do a double major with Psych + BALS. It would be something like Psych and another major, such as Comm. Since I have done most needed for GE it would be more like 2 simultaneous degrees at this point, but both BA's from the same house, which is stupid.

Thanks!

Danielle

Actually, Psych & Comm wouldn't be stupid at all.  2 simultaneous degrees from the same school is fine - just not a BALS + something else.  The problem with Comm is that it can't be tested out of - Psych can.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
So if I'm picking up what everyone is saying, it sounds like a double major allows you to use the AOS in one degree as electives / Gen Ed in the other and vice versa. If one is visualizing 2 degrees side by side, the AOS courses for both basically crosses over to the other so that you don't have to take a bunch of electives that you'd otherwise have to complete for just one degree, correct? For example, the AOS courses for a BA in Comm could be used towards, let's say, the Electives within a BA in Psych...and vice versa....the AOS courses for Psych could be used towards to Electives in Comm, correct?

I already have a bunch of Electives done and most of the GE's, however, if I wanted to do a BA in Psych + Comm (double major) + ASNAM in Comp Sci.....I'd have do the AOS courses for all 3...with the ASNAM having a little more flexibility within AOS as some of my completed electives for the BA fit into its AOS already.

For what it's worth, here's a link for all my completed/working on courses on 1 tab, with planned BA and ASNAM on another tab:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing

Thanks!

Danielle Smile
(07-07-2019, 12:24 PM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote: So if I'm picking up what everyone is saying, it sounds like a double major allows you to use the AOS in one degree as electives / Gen Ed in the other and vice versa. If one is visualizing 2 degrees side by side, the AOS courses for both basically crosses over to the other so that you don't have to take a bunch of electives that you'd otherwise have to complete for just one degree, correct? For example, the AOS courses for a BA in Comm could be used towards, let's say, the Electives within a BA in Psych...and vice versa....the AOS courses for Psych could be used towards to Electives in Comm, correct?

I already have a bunch of Electives done and most of the GE's, however, if I wanted to do a BA in Psych + Comm (double major) + ASNAM in Comp Sci.....I'd have do the AOS courses for all 3...with the ASNAM having a little more flexibility within AOS as some of my completed electives for the BA fit into its AOS already.

For what it's worth, here's a link for all my completed/working on courses on 1 tab, with planned BA and ASNAM on another tab:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing

Thanks!

Danielle Smile

You already did a little bit it looks like you have the lower level communications courses done. You would need 15 credits UL comm. And of course mass comm I, II and comm theory which can't be tested out of. That's 24 extra credits you would need for a communications degree.
The BALS and BA Psych was just an example, another example would be something similar to someone doing a BA Biology and wanting a BA Environmental Studies from TESU.  

Essentially, as I mentioned in post 11, using Bio/Enviro as an example, a person can do a BA Biology, and using the free electives (30 credits - take all the requirements of the BA Env), and they will share the same Gen Eds (60 credits), free electives/capstone (30 credits).  

If you look at it the other way, someone doing a BA Env, will take the 30 free credits/capstone, and use those Bio requirements to fulfill that.  

BTW, for your ASNSM Comp Sci, you just need to take the FREE TEEX Cybersecurity courses and you're done, it's free vs paying $70 for another computer course.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(07-07-2019, 02:07 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: BTW, for your ASNSM Comp Sci, you just need to take the FREE TEEX Cybersecurity courses and you're done, it's free vs paying $70 for another computer course.

Thanks, bjcheung77. After reading how cumbersome the TEEX courses are, I thought maybe paying extra might be worth it. LOL!

So drop the 2 planned courses from SDC (Intro to Programming + Cybersecurity), and take Cyber 101 for 3 credits and Cyber 201 for 4 credits, gotcha.

Also, I bet a double major with Psych + Sociology would be easy, but also redundant.  Rolleyes

Danielle Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will online degrees become worthless because of AI? blablablox 12 797 04-20-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Associate degrees??? midnite123 10 665 04-03-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  UVEG - Inexpensive Official Degrees in Mexico bjcheung77 13 1,838 03-28-2024, 03:30 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 774 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,799 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Inexpensive Certificates, Diplomas, Degrees bjcheung77 1 465 02-20-2024, 01:13 AM
Last Post: mancheseter24
  Futurelearn has BA degrees in Marketing & Design for 13k USD. Masters for 7k USD. nyvrem 1 296 02-16-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How others think of college degrees... bjcheung77 5 580 12-31-2023, 02:27 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Why degree mills center so hard in post-graduate degrees? elcastor21 7 963 12-08-2023, 06:56 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Do extended level 6 diploma's from the UK get evaluated as Bachelor degrees in the US Pinko64 3 616 11-02-2023, 12:01 AM
Last Post: Pinko64