Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Move on to UMPI now?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...1323266169

So, DS is in a major time crunch here with needing to enroll in the upcoming term. He needs to graduate early summer in order to start his new job. 

He is moving quickly through his Sophia classes. Since the application date is the 21st and classes start March 13th, is he risking some of his classes not being accepted if he continues to take Sophia courses after he applies? I think he can finish up to 90 credits of he has until March 13th but not before the 21st. 

I'd appreciate hearing about your experiences on this. It is a little tough to judge what to do on this one. He has to graduate in May to stay on track here. 

We'd be extremely grateful to anyone with experience to take a look at his degree plan, which I'm not 100% confident is correct, and add your critiques. The link is above. Also, everything in bold is completed. The google sheet might be easier for some to read. 

Thank you!

Core Classes

Sophia - Business 141: Intro to Project Management w/Microsoft Project
Business 240: Change Management
Business 260: Leadership
BUS 321: Human Resource Management
BUS 415: Operations Management
Sophia - Workplace Communication or Business Communications

24cr UL Elective Requirement
Sophia - BUS 350: Business Law
?
?
?
?
?
?

Free Electives
Sophia - Intro to College Math
Sophia - Intro to Web Development
Sophia - Visual Communications
Sophia - Intro to Information Technology
Sophia - Art History II
Sophia - Macroeconomics
Sophia - Microeconomics
Sophia - Foundations of Statistics
NLC - Intro to Business *might be a business credit
NLC - Principals of Management *might be a business credit
NLC - General Psychology
NLC - Texas Government
NLC - Learning Framework
NLC - History II

Gen Ed Requirements
NLC - English Composition I
UMPI - English Composition II
NLC - Intro to Speech
Sophia - Introduction to Ethics
Sophia - Introduction to Sociology: Embracing Diversity and Collaboration
NLC - Art I
Sophia - College Algebra
Sophia - Human Biology with Lab
Sophia - Environmental Science
NLC - US History I
Sophia - Spanish I
NLC - Federal Government

UMPI - Creative Expression
? - Information Literacy
Texas A&M - Commerce - BAAS summer 2023
California Coast University - BSBA 2008

Hi there. Your son can absolutely do UMPI courses while doing Sophia courses. Your son does have a lot of courses left to complete. He will need to work very hard in the next term or two with UMPI and Sophia to finish. He should apply to UMPI now, in order to get a degree audit. UMPI gets backed up rather quickly, and if you wait too long, there's a solid chance he'd have to wait for summer regardless.

I don't recommend your son doing BUS 240 or 260 with Study.com, it'd be faster to just do the essay with UMPI. Your son should bunker down and focus to try and complete a class every 3-5 days to finish his remainder in a single term.

At UMPI your son should focus on doing as much upper level history/political science classes as he can. History classes are the quickest. These do require essays, but, Dr. Z gives really good feedback, and, he's very fair on grading. If you hit his required points you get the A. He doesn't make you run around in circles. If you get something wrong, his feedback is spot on with exactly what you need to fix.

The easiest Liberal Studies degree from UMPI is Political Science. 
  • The Vietnam Wars POS439
  • International Relationships POS371
  • Topics in Non-Western History POS370
  • Marxism POS343
  • Modern Political Thought POS335
  • Constitutional Law POS332
  • European Government POS301
  • Films of the Cold War HTY456 (this is slow, but easy, you just watch old movies and write about them) 
On the degree plan you posted:
  • Intro to College Math didn't transfer well in my experience. He may want to do College Algebra instead. 
  • The other 6 Sophia classes he hasn't finished, it is possible to do 1 every 2-3 days if he focuses on them. Narrow down, focus on them. Remember that the exam/milestone is OPEN BOOK. Download the text pdf on Sophia and keep it in another browser. 
Dr. Ashkir DHA, MBA, MAOL, PMP, GARA
[-] The following 4 users Like ashkir's post:
  • ISKBizz15, namwen, Pikachu, tsgreer
(02-07-2023, 11:52 AM)ashkir Wrote: Hi there. Your son can absolutely do UMPI courses while doing Sophia courses. Your son does have a lot of courses left to complete. He will need to work very hard in the next term or two with UMPI and Sophia to finish. He should apply to UMPI now, in order to get a degree audit. UMPI gets backed up rather quickly, and if you wait too long, there's a solid chance he'd have to wait for summer regardless.

I don't recommend your son doing BUS 240 or 260 with Study.com, it'd be faster to just do the essay with UMPI. Your son should bunker down and focus to try and complete a class every 3-5 days to finish his remainder in a single term.

At UMPI your son should focus on doing as much upper level history/political science classes as he can. History classes are the quickest. These do require essays, but, Dr. Z gives really good feedback, and, he's very fair on grading. If you hit his required points you get the A. He doesn't make you run around in circles. If you get something wrong, his feedback is spot on with exactly what you need to fix.

• Marxism POS343
  • Films of the Cold War HTY456 (this is slow, but easy, you just watch old movies and write about them) 
  • Intro to College Math didn't transfer well in my experience. He may want to do College Algebra instead. 
  • The other 6 Sophia classes he hasn't finished, it is possible to do 1 every 2-3 days if he focuses on them. Narrow down, focus on them. Remember that the exam/milestone is OPEN BOOK. Download the text pdf on Sophia and keep it in another browser. 

Poli Sci is only easy if you're interested in it and don't mind writing lots of papers. 

Courses can be transferred to UMPI after you're enrolled. You just need to email your academic advisor about it. Is the son 20+ years old?
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • ashkir, namwen
(02-07-2023, 11:52 AM)ashkir Wrote: Hi there. Your son can absolutely do UMPI courses while doing Sophia courses. Your son does have a lot of courses left to complete. He will need to work very hard in the next term or two with UMPI and Sophia to finish. He should apply to UMPI now, in order to get a degree audit. UMPI gets backed up rather quickly, and if you wait too long, there's a solid chance he'd have to wait for summer regardless.

• Marxism POS343

Thanks for your response. I had seen several times how it was recommended that students wait until all of the 90 transferable credits are completed before applying. If he can apply and continue to take Sophia classes while he waits, I'll go ahead with recommending he apply now. 

He has completed 10 courses in less than 3 weeks with Sophia. According to the plan that he is on, he only needs 7 more classes.

(02-07-2023, 12:30 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Poli Sci is only easy if you're interested in it and don't mind writing lots of papers. 

Courses can be transferred to UMPI after you're enrolled. You just need to email your academic advisor about it. Is the son 20+ years old?

Thanks for the insight. 

My son is 23 years old, so he is good to go there. 

One thing I am struggling with here is getting the right information about what Sophia classes fit into the BLS for the maximum benefit of 90 credits. I have read that you can transfer the entire 90 credits from Sophia now but none of the Wiki pages line up with that. To date, I do not see a path for that to be possible. Do you see or know how that would be possible?

@newman, there are only 13 courses required for general education, 20-21 free electives, and 6-7 courses for the minor you select. Essentially, you can get 90 or more Sophia.org courses transferred over, but only 90 will come into the degree as you need 30 credits for residency purposes. UMPI has requirements, but most of them are 'double dip' meaning, 1 courses can hit multiple areas, you still just need 40 courses in total, thus I don't even mention double dipping at all (just like I don't for COSC).
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • namwen
(02-09-2023, 04:15 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @newman, there are only 13 courses required for general education, 20-21 free electives, and 6-7 courses for the minor you select.  Essentially, you can get 90 or more Sophia.org courses transferred over, but only 90 will come into the degree as you need 30 credits for residency purposes.  UMPI has requirements, but most of them are 'double dip' meaning, 1 courses can hit multiple areas, you still just need 40 courses in total, thus I don't even mention double dipping at all (just like I don't for COSC).

You guys are the best! Thanks for the insight! Any chance you want to take a look at his plan to see if there is anything out of place?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is a philosophy minor possible at UMPI? LevelUP 8 106 Yesterday, 11:34 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Sophia Scores and Transferring to UMPI colonelcamp 7 248 04-25-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Inquiry Regarding Equivalent Classes for Remaining UMPI Requirements hicham78h 5 266 04-24-2024, 12:53 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Math GECs Sophia/UMPI colonelcamp 3 187 04-24-2024, 10:07 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should I contact UMPI now or wait until I finish my GEC with Sophia then contact them JusW 3 170 04-22-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: JusW
  UMPI YourPace BLS w/ Management Minor Reference Plan valentvne 6 317 04-21-2024, 10:23 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  minimum age for UMPI students YourPace EducationSeeker 6 299 04-20-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: EducationSeeker
  Framed UMPI Diploma joshua27 31 6,594 04-19-2024, 03:01 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  New considering UMPI but…. manyoptions4me 55 5,488 04-16-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  UMPI BLS MISM VS Pierport then UMPI BAS k681 11 503 04-16-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Hotdogman1