Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving to Dallas!
It is 100% smart to take the Dallas job to get in first and pass the probationary period ASAP. After you are a permanent employee then start looking to move back to Austin within the whole Federal (OPM) system if that is what you want.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 1 user Likes Life Long Learning's post:
  • sanantone
Thank you, everyone!

(03-29-2019, 02:43 PM)Ideas Wrote: Congrats!

Why probably fired by one year? They're trying to avoid paying more?

Davewill is correct. Almost everyone gets automatic promotions, so if you don't qualify, then your performance must be horrible. The first year is the probationary year. They can either let you go or try to get you transferred to a different position. 

(03-29-2019, 03:12 PM)Imbanewbie Wrote: Hey Congrats, Sanantone. You earn it, it is better for you working for federal you have better benefit package. Also, i explore in Texas school. They have cheap tuition for in state student, you can take advantage. Maybe you can get your PHD in texas too.

As Merlin noted, I already live in Texas and have been living here pretty much my entire life. I currently work for the state government, so I already have pretty good benefits. I pay no premium for my insurance now, but I will be paying quite a bit more with the federal government. But, the increase in pay will more than make up for that. It would take me over a decade to get the equivalent of GS-11 pay with the state, and I'm in a similar position. 

I've already finished all of the coursework for a PhD. I just need to finish the dissertation whenever I give myself time and feel like tackling something so boring and long. 

(03-29-2019, 06:09 PM)Merlin Wrote: Congrats Sanantone... from what I've heard Dallas isn't as nice as Austin, so that might make it less pleasant, but the increase in base pay is nice compensation. Particularly if the bigger pay bump comes in a year as you expect. Perhaps once you've been there a while you can transfer back to Austin once the role you want opens up.

My family and I have had a few opportunities to move to Texas but we've always turned then down. I don't think I can handle the heat (I would never move to Las Vegas for the same reason). I have relatives scattered across Texas, plus I have been to a few conferences there, but every time I've visited I've been miserable. Of course, I always seem to go during the summer or fall so I'm sure that is part of it.

That said, if I ever did move to Texas, I'd probably want to be in Austin or nearby since that seems a better fit for us culturally.

(03-29-2019, 03:12 PM)Imbanewbie Wrote: Hey Congrats, Sanantone. You earn it, it is better for you working for federal you have better benefit package. Also, i explore in Texas school. They have cheap tuition for in state student, you can take advantage. Maybe you can get your PHD in texas too.

I'm pretty sure that Sanantone is already living in Texas (Austin), so this is just a move across the state for her. Smile

The weather is the worst part of living in Texas. There are only a couple of months out of the year when it's pleasant. It's extremely hot for 6 months, and we do get cold in the winter. It's not like Hawaii or parts of California where there are many days in the 70s and 80s, but I'm acclimated to the heat. 

(03-29-2019, 08:03 PM)alab21 Wrote:
(03-29-2019, 12:13 PM)sanantone Wrote: I received a firm offer from the IRS. Because of my master's degree, I qualified for GS-9. There's automatic promotion to GS-11 in one year as long as your performance isn't terrible, but you'd probably be fired by that point. I didn't want to move, but Austin doesn't seem to be hiring until August, and I'm not going to turn down a job offer for the slim chance I'll be selected for Austin. The good part is that locality pay is a few thousand higher in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Surprisingly, Houston has the highest locality pay in Texas, but you have to deal with hurricanes and oil refinery air.

Congrats!! I’ve lived in the DFW area for 30 years. We like it here! I like Austin too though, so I do understand your preference. It has a very progressive, eclectic feel to it. I think you’ll like it here once you get settled though.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net

I like the people in Austin, but I don't like the inadequate highway system. Traffic is horrible, and the solution has been to trap us with more toll roads since there's no room to expand IH-35. We don't even have a loop, and our main highways only have three lanes throughout most of the city. No one wants to spend money for a real rail system, so we're just stuck. 

I'm originally from San Antonio, but I didn't apply there. I never want to move back to San Antonio, and I never want to move to El Paso. The rest of the big cities in Texas are fine. There's really not a huge cultural difference between the big cities with the exception of El Paso. San Antonio just lacks opportunities outside of the military and healthcare, and the men there are mostly broke, uneducated, and have multiple baby mamas. The violent crime rate has shot up, and there are multiple Bexar County Sheriff's deputies being arrested almost every week. It's really going downhill.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(03-29-2019, 08:30 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: It is 100% smart to take the Dallas job to get in first and pass the probationary period ASAP.  After you are a permanent employee then start looking to move back to Austin within the whole Federal (OPM) system if that is what you want.

I tried to convince a young, former coworker to apply to the IRS while they're on this hiring surge because she wants to eventually become a special agent with a federal law enforcement agency. She said, "I don't think I'd like working for the IRS." Her current job as a counselor is probably not going to help her get into the FBI. It's all about getting the competitive advantage from being a federal employee. Plus, she would be desirable for positions that focus on white collar crime. I read from a current IRS employee that the revenue officer position is being reclassified as a civil law enforcement position, which would help anyone trying to get into an 1811 position later on.  

I also tried to talk a current coworker into applying because she's already working with taxes. She said, "Federal employees get furloughed." Well, you'd get paid a lot more with the IRS, so save up and be prepared for a vacation. You can lead a horse to water...
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • Ideas
Congrats and good luck on the move. It's kind of strange that they consider DFW a more expensive market than Austin (hence more pay) - Austin seems on the expensive side to me (their median housing price is quite a bit more than Dallas).

I agree that the IRS is a great move towards the FBI. People are silly - they don't look at their dream job as a series of stepping stones, which is a mistake. Any time you have the opportunity to advanced towards your ultimate goal, you should take it!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • sanantone
(03-30-2019, 06:47 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Congrats and good luck on the move.  It's kind of strange that they consider DFW a more expensive market than Austin (hence more pay) - Austin seems on the expensive side to me (their median housing price is quite a bit more than Dallas).

I agree that the IRS is a great move towards the FBI.  People are silly - they don't look at their dream job as a series of stepping stones, which is a mistake.  Any time you have the opportunity to advanced towards your ultimate goal, you should take it!

Thanks. 

I read an article that said that Millennials don't want to work for the IRS. I'm an older Millennial, and she's a younger one. Really, I think she's Gen Z, but she insists that she's a Millennial. But, anyway, it's kind of crazy how someone wouldn't want a higher-paying, stable, professional job with the federal government that comes with preference for other federal government jobs.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
  • Life Long Learning
Congratulations!!!
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
[-] The following 1 user Likes ShotoJuku's post:
  • sanantone
(03-31-2019, 03:04 AM)ShotoJuku Wrote: Congratulations!!!

Thank you.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
  • ShotoJuku
Congratulations!!
(04-03-2019, 09:04 AM)cookderosa Wrote: Congratulations!!

Thank you.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Congratulations! I hope everything works out great for you.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looming Food Shortages Is the Next ‘Slow-Moving Disaster’ to Hit World LevelUP 8 1,589 03-28-2022, 11:17 AM
Last Post: uncapentin
  Colleges moving online because of virus natshar 11 1,833 03-14-2020, 02:59 AM
Last Post: alab21
  Article: Moving From 5% to 85% Completion Rates for Online Courses PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 1 1,144 06-12-2019, 01:32 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  OT: We are moving! cookderosa 10 1,589 05-08-2012, 09:47 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  I am Really moving this time. Lindagerr 9 1,436 08-28-2011, 12:18 PM
Last Post: alleycat