Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multiple Courses in One Month - Straighterline - How?
I'd like to take a handful of Straighterline courses in one month so that I only have to pay the $99 monthly fee once. How should I approach this? Let's say I plan to take three courses (Psychology, Intro to Religion, and Environmental Science) in the same month. Should I knock them out one at a time?

What happens if I take a final the day before I'm due for another monthly fee? Do I cancel right after I take the test (assuming that Straighterline will save my grades & make them accessible to ACE)?

Thanks for any "how-to's" you guys can offer!
Oh! And, how does the proctoring work? Do I have to schedule ahead of time? Or, is it pretty flexible? Can I take the final whenever I'm ready - day or night? Thanks again!
Silly_Me Wrote:Oh! And, how does the proctoring work? Do I have to schedule ahead of time? Or, is it pretty flexible? Can I take the final whenever I'm ready - day or night? Thanks again!

For Straighterline, no it's not very flexible. You need to schedule 72 hours in advance or you can pay $5 to "take it now", although one time I checked the price and it was $8 for that option. They use the same proctoring service as the TECEPS, but different than Study.com.
Silly_Me Wrote:I'd like to take a handful of Straighterline courses in one month so that I only have to pay the $99 monthly fee once. How should I approach this? Let's say I plan to take three courses (Psychology, Intro to Religion, and Environmental Science) in the same month. Should I knock them out one at a time?

What happens if I take a final the day before I'm due for another monthly fee? Do I cancel right after I take the test (assuming that Straighterline will save my grades & make them accessible to ACE)?

Thanks for any "how-to's" you guys can offer!

I canceled my account when I still had about a week left and they said I still had access to everything, including courses. So if you really only want one month, I would "cancel" it after paying for your courses so it doesn't automatically recharge you or just make sure you have a reminder for the day you need to cancel. Unless I misunderstood the wording, you should be able to work through your courses and take the finals even after canceling for the next month. I am not very experienced with SL though, so someone who is should confirm my info for you. I do know for a fact you always have access to your dashboard and transcripts even long after canceling.
I did 10 courses in about/under 2 weeks. I paid 5$ to take most tests as soon as I could (usually within 5 -8 hrs). If you take it within an few hours, it costs more.
You can take it day or night. (I took one at 1:30 am once. HA!)
I took one exam the day before my month ran out and they still added it in to my ACE.
I did like many here have suggested- I went ahead and put a cancel subscription in after the first week to not renew at end of month. Then I knew it wouldn't renew and I had a deadline to finish everything.
It's a great source to knock out a lot of subjects we already know. :coolgleam:
BALS.SS COMPLETED (122 credits in 6 1/2 months)
CAPSTONE (95%)
CLEP: A & I Lit (63), English Comp Modular (74)
TECEP: Computer Concepts
DSST: English Comp 2 (417)
STRAIGHTERLINE: Medical Terminology, Religions, Western Civ I, Western Civ II, American Govt, Nutrition, Anthropology, Sociology, Environmental Science, Communications
STUDY.COM: Personal Finance, Vietnam War, Social Psychology, Research Methods in Psychology, Abnormal Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Classroom Management, Differentiated Instruction, Special Education History & Law, Foundations of Education, Early Childhood Education
SHMOOP: The Bible As Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, U.S. History 1, U.S. History 2, Modern European History, World Geography, Film Studies, Human Sexuality
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Pre-Calculus
FREE COURSES: CybSec for Everyone, CybSec Business Professionals, Insurance Inst. Ethics, NFA: Fire Service Supervision, Community Safety Educators, Sophia: Developing Effective Teams
A nice way to avoid getting the $5 or $8 upcharge is to schedule all of your exams a week out from purchase. Most likely, you will not be ready then but should have a feel on when you might and now you can 'reschedule' the exam for any day or time at no charge. If you get any issues online just call ProctorU directly and they will gladly dial it in for you. Used this technique several times and it added up to a nice time and financial saver. Straighterline was easily my favorite on how can I create a savings game:

Coupons, Max Out Months With Courses, ProctorU Testing, Course Transfer...My daughter is now the master and continues to brag on how she's 'saving me so much money'!!!! Smile
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
Many people on the forum have taken at least 5 or more a month, this is to "offset" the price of the membership.
Find the courses you require (need, not want), note which ones have a proctored final and which ones don't.
(Take them in batches to maximize material learned and overlapping, IE: Accounting 101, Accounting 102)
Again, bundle them so you learn about the same things all at once (IE, all gen ed courses or all business)

My recommendation is the following: Purchase a month membership with one course and a coupon.
Purchase two more courses with a coupon and continue purchasing another two with a third coupon.
You will save $150 and practically get the first, third and fifth course at $9 each. Cancel the subscription.
Note: You will NOT be able to use the same coupons over, and 1 coupon per purchase allowed.

When scheduling exams, I would "finish the course" and schedule it 3 days in advance.
Complete about one course in 5 days, or faster if you would like to take more courses.
If you need to renew the membership, get another month and a course, use a coupon (repeat the steps as earlier)
Each coupon you use should be $50 off, don't settle for the $20 off/course, some require 2 courses.

If you really need courses and have them done fast, SL is "faster" than Study.com, but some Study.com courses are "easier".
See here for all the coupons available to use: http://www.degreeforum.net/saylor-org-st...-code.html
See Thread: http://www.degreeforum.net/saylor-org-st...548-a.html
See Thread: http://www.degreeforum.net/saylor-org-st...1-via.html
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
bjcheung77 Wrote:Many people on the forum have taken at least 5 or more a month, this is to "offset" the price of the membership.

Yep, I only took 4 courses because that was all I needed. My last 4 study.com courses are already paid for or else I would have considered some of those courses as well. I had plenty of time left in the month to finish more courses. The good thing about only doing 4 courses is that I was able to use a coupon for each so I paid just $9 for each of the courses I did and never needed to spend the full $59. I will gladly take 12 credits for $135!!
So, what happens if I purchase 5 courses in a month & feel overwhelmed? Can I cancel my subscription, take a couple months off, and then go back to the purchased courses when I'm ready again? Or, is it "use it or lose it?"
Silly_Me Wrote:So, what happens if I purchase 5 courses in a month & feel overwhelmed? Can I cancel my subscription, take a couple months off, and then go back to the purchased courses when I'm ready again? Or, is it "use it or lose it?"

You purchase them as you go. Membership plus first course (with a coupon). Finish it and then get second course (with coupon). Finish it and get third (with coupon). Sometimes, buy two courses at once to use certain coupons. Then you can cancel for weeks or months. Then repeat where you buy membership and new first course.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com charged me another month without my consent Livia_Drusila 6 155 1 hour ago
Last Post: jch
  Offer for StraighterLine Course hsufeng 0 76 Yesterday, 03:59 PM
Last Post: hsufeng
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,434 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 991 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 8 708 04-08-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 4 531 03-29-2024, 01:19 AM
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 185 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 469,298 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,903 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 344 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya