Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multiple Degrees, Higher Pay?
So, I’m in the process of getting my very first degree. BACS @ TESU. 

I’m thinking of maybe tacking on another major, or minor? Or should I just try to do the BSBA CIS? 

What would make the most sense for someone who doesn’t really know what exactly they want to do in tech, but needs to be making 6 figures for sure. (single mom, triplet toddlers, living in nyc). 

For those of you with multiple degrees, was it worth it? Are you getting paid more because you have so many? 

Since I live in NYC it’s actually not that hard to find a 6 figure job, but to live very comfortably it needs to be $200k+ and preferably not a ton of work, and work from home (I know, I know LOL). 

Obviously I won’t make even close to that right away but will having multiple degrees get me there faster? 

Also, tech is so broad so it’s hard to figure out exactly what I’d like to do, but I just know I don’t want to do coding.

Any recommendations of what positions I should look into? 

If you could go back and do it over again, what would you have done differently?
I don't think you'll get higher pay for 2 bachelor's degrees - but 2 degrees would open up more possibilities for you.

I don't think you'll make anywhere close to $200k with either of those degrees though - tech is getting rid of people left and right, and I can't think of many places where they'll place that much of an emphasis on a business degree to pay that much, not for someone with no experience.

With either, I think you're looking at 5 years before you're making anywhere close to that.

I'd probably try to specialize more. How about a degree in Data Science? Or Cybersecurity?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • ss20ts
(03-20-2023, 09:40 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I don't think you'll get higher pay for 2 bachelor's degrees - but 2 degrees would open up more possibilities for you.

I don't think you'll make anywhere close to $200k with either of those degrees though - tech is getting rid of people left and right, and I can't think of many places where they'll place that much of an emphasis on a business degree to pay that much, not for someone with no experience.

With either, I think you're looking at 5 years before you're making anywhere close to that.

I'd probably try to specialize more. How about a degree in Data Science?  Or Cybersecurity?

Yes, you’re right. It would definitely take at least 5 years to get to that salary for sure. I was just trying to see if I could speed things up with multiple degrees, but I guess not.

Hmmm I was thinking of maybe just getting some certifications in cybersecurity or project management etc instead of a whole new degree. But maybe that’s the way to go!
I'd suggest not doing anything that will slow the process down. Time spent working is much better than delaying for more education. You can always come back for certs, or take on a master's later... Unless you're too busy making money.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • ss20ts
Do one degree and work. Later on keep studying if you want. Anywhere you will want to see experience. It is also true that multiple degrees will help you widen possibilities, but in general people prioritize edu + exp. One exception to all that is if a semester can get you a second degree, timewise efficient or you get paid for studying in some kind of program.
Dang, if it's that easy to make $200k in NYC, maybe I need to move. With my husband and I both working full time, we don't come anywhere near that. Even with YEARS of experience.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
(03-21-2023, 09:38 AM)Vle045 Wrote: Dang, if it's that easy to make $200k in NYC, maybe I need to move.  With my husband and I both working full time, we don't come anywhere near that.  Even with YEARS of experience.

Where do you live? When your rent alone is $3k a month, $100k a year salary is barely making it out here. It’s wild!
Yes I agree that two bachelor degrees may open up more opportunities for you but will not command any more salary.
(03-21-2023, 09:41 AM)techmama Wrote:
(03-21-2023, 09:38 AM)Vle045 Wrote: Dang, if it's that easy to make $200k in NYC, maybe I need to move.  With my husband and I both working full time, we don't come anywhere near that.  Even with YEARS of experience.

Where do you live? When your rent alone is $3k a month, $100k a year salary is barely making it out here. It’s wild!

I have lived in Pennsylvania and Ohio.   The salary and cost of living have been about the same in both states.  We live in a very nice house in a quiet neighborhood and our mortgage is probably about half that.  Can you move out of that high cost area?
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
If you like tech but not code, I'd say probably cyber security. Tons of paperwork. I don't know anything about penetration testing, but my guess is you're using software to do scans and it is nothing overly complicated. It is possible to get to 6 figures by being motivated and managing cyber security, but it will take some years of experience. Honestly some aspects of cyber security are just training old folks in your org not to fall for phishing and you can make six figures just doing that in some places. Writing code is the fastest path to six figures, but you have to be good at it and if you don't enjoy it you won't be good at it. I'd avoid data science because it is a lot of code PLUS statistics (but if you love stats, you might be able to make it work).

Get the most relevant degree. If there is enough overlap to easily get a double major, go for it if you want, but avoid it if it will slow you down or sap motivation. My guess is you probably don't need a CS degree if you go the cyber route and you might be happier doing less code and computer architecture for the bachelors. That said, CS is probably the most flexible.
Working Toward: ME-EM, CU Boulder (Coursera)
Completed: TESU - BA Computer Science, 2023; TESU - AAS Applied Electronic Studies, 2012; K-State -BS Political Science, 2016

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,410 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  TESU multiple degrees / residency question Sean1234 12 1,211 11-03-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Multiple Degrees Policy natshar 24 1,490 08-28-2023, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Pursuing multiple TESU degrees; residency/RA requirements? bruh 8 738 06-11-2023, 03:04 AM
  Is it possible to start multiple terms? davidtpb 3 528 12-11-2022, 02:48 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Are some BSBA areas of study now being awarded as BS degrees? TopHatWombat 7 846 12-06-2022, 05:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU BSBA CIS + BACS Dual Degrees scottlefoll 10 1,796 08-19-2022, 03:50 PM
Last Post: scottlefoll
  Federal Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund II scholarships (HEERFS II) LevelUP 47 6,182 06-08-2022, 01:54 AM
Last Post: jch
  TESU multiple degrees policy rachel83az 23 2,992 02-08-2022, 06:21 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Graduation Application for multiple degrees? elenlushk 4 1,046 12-12-2021, 10:32 PM