Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My WGU Experience - BSci-NOS
Depending on what college within WGU you go to (College of IT, College of Business, etc) they use either ProctorU or Examity for remote proctoring.

It is self-paced. i've completed classes in a day as the shortest, maybe three months for longest.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • ChilliDawg
(04-05-2018, 11:54 AM)jsd Wrote: Depending on what college within WGU you go to (College of IT, College of Business, etc) they use either ProctorU or Examity for remote proctoring.

It is self-paced. i've completed classes in a day as the shortest, maybe three months for longest.

Thank you for the info.  They sound more and more appealing.
Western Governor's University
MSCSIA - Completed 2020.  Program completed in 8 months.
Cybersecurity Scholarship Recipient
B.A.L.S 2019 
ASNSM - Computer Science - 2018 
Pierpont College
Board of Governor's AAS, AOE Information Systems - 2017

(04-05-2018, 11:37 AM)ChilliDawg Wrote: I am considering WGU, myself for possibly Masters.

Could you folks tell me how they do testing.  Who do they Proctor through?

Are they really self-paced?

Thanks

I've done all the IT Objective Assessments through Examity.  But I hear other departments may use others.  It's as self-paced as you want.  Some people take a week to get through some classes other a month or two.  It depends on your level of understanding of the material and the effort you put in.  Shortest class for me was a few hours (Critical Thinking and Logic)  Longest to date English Composition 1 took me a week and a half.  For the performance objectives, it's called TaskStream, you submit your paper or presentation into the class queue and an evaluator eventually gets to it.  Shortest I've seen is #36 in the queue correct same day, longest #292 3 days back with eval.
[-] The following 1 user Likes justdavey's post:
  • ChilliDawg
Spreadsheets and Principles of Management done.
My SM has opened up CCNA:Security, the uCertify testing seems rather... lacking. I don't know how to explain it better, just seems easier than other Cisco tests i've done in the past. Will try out the Boson one and report back.

What's left after CCNA:Sec:
Technical Communication
IT Capstone
[-] The following 2 users Like justdavey's post:
  • ajs1976a, quigongene
It's been a few weeks. Latest update: C768 Technical Communication done! Used the course instructors alot for this one. Had them go over my submissions before handing them in to the evaluators and spoke over the phone. The IT comms group is quick to reply and also have alot of availability to go over things over the phone. Especially for task 1, the audience eval and changes to presentations threw me for a loop for the different parameters they want to touch on.

Keys to success:
Welcome e-mail for class and tips doc.
The cohort video Joe Barnhart created in the C768 tips doc.
Submit to course instructor before taskstream, I usually got an answer back within 2-3 hours. They'll point out any glaring deficiencies quickly and save you heartache in having to wait 2+ days in taskstream for a resubmission for something silly

Slogging through the material in test questions in CCNA: Security... I wish I was doing R&S instead.. there's so much stuff touched upon in this - crazy.

Only 2 classes left, the capstone and the CCNA: Security. Capstone seems pretty straight forward. Many templates and documents to help out + the archive to view what other projects have been created by previous students. I'm hoping to finish by mid may if all goes well.
  • quigongene, Sapientes
Good luck!! Side note....passed the CISA, so 3 less classes I'll need to take.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 1 user Likes quigongene's post:
  • justdavey
Thanks for the tips about this class. Good luck with your remaining classes!
(04-21-2018, 09:55 AM)quigongene Wrote: Good luck!!  Side note....passed the CISA, so 3 less classes I'll need to take.

Hurrah!  So good to save all that time and concentrate on the stuff you can't transfer in.
[-] The following 1 user Likes justdavey's post:
  • quigongene
Another few weeks slower progress but worth it in the end.

Got through IT Capstone task 1 pretty easily after ID'ing a subject and getting approved. Many people suggest to use the same from Tech Comm. I did something else, but the requirements are similar.
Task 2 was the proposal, 20+ pages later, many videos and the jwawa reddit thread was the best for this. Also met with the course instructor as it was kicked back for the methodology section. Needed more details on the actual methdology.. ie explain all the different steps at a high level of the framework itself not just the tasks you intend.
Task 3 was alot of repetition of task 2 but in the past tense. Sent to CIs to check, no issues, submitted to taskstream on Thursday morning
Finished CCNA: Security, passed on Friday morning... what a relief.. so many concepts.
Got TaskStream correction at 7:50 AM Saturday morning and ... I PASSED! All done! Will see next week what the next steps are but is a bit anticlimactic. No more classes, no more green to blue.. So satisfying.
  • jsd, quigongene
Congrats on CCNA Sec!! That was the only course I had a setback in. Great work!
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WGU announced a new Master of Science in Learning Experience Design and Education GizmoJack 24 4,251 09-08-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  WGU with little relevant experience? breadloaf 6 1,368 01-28-2023, 09:06 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
Big Grin WGU MBA Experience? Toastmaster 2 4,279 08-23-2020, 03:12 PM
Last Post: Toastmaster
  Documenting My Son's WGU Experience rowan555 53 15,449 09-18-2017, 01:46 PM
Last Post: Thorne
  My BS in 1.5 years - my experience with CLEP/DSST/SL/WGU jessikalauren 12 8,906 08-10-2017, 12:15 PM
Last Post: jessikalauren
  Western governors' University - WGU - competency based? Experience or opinions? GoodYellowDogs 12 2,005 05-07-2012, 09:10 PM
Last Post: dcan