Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My advisor keeps telling me that I have to take SOS-110 even as a 2nd degree student
After sending more transcripts from study.com, I've completed my evaluation, and I'm only 3 courses away from finishing my second degree in BACS. So I requested permission from my advisor to register for the capstone courses last week. However, I was surprised to learn that even though I have met the requirements to take the capstone for my BACS (over 100 credits), he told me that I only have 70 credits for my degree in psychology (Which doesn't even make any sense...) and I need to take SOS-110 in order to register for the capstone. At first, I thought it might have been a mistake, so I explained to my advisor that I already have a BS psychology degree from another institution and that SOS-110 should be waived. Unfortunately, he kept saying no, and I sensed that he thought I was an idiot...

Thankfully, I learned a lot from degreeforum, and I know that I was correct and my advisor was wrong. This morning, I received another email from the advisor confirming that I must take the SOS-110 to register for the capstone. After I repeatedly informed my advisor that I was pursuing a 2nd Bachelor's degree in BACS, not psychology, as I already have a degree in psychology from another university. Despite my efforts, my advisor did not seem to understand my situation. I decided to look for another advisor on my own, and I was lucky enough to find one I had contacted a few months ago. I explained everything to her, and she helped me register for the capstone in just seconds!

Well, I learned that if you feel like your advisor doesn't care about you or doesn't seem to understand your situation, it's worth looking for another advisor who can help you. Take whatever they say with a grain of salt...
In Progress
Georgia Tech OMSCS Cool
Completed
TESU BA Computer Science & ASNSM Mathematics
Conferred: 09/2023
Excelsior University BS Psychology 
Conferred: 02/2023

[-] The following 4 users Like frankc's post:
  • davewill, jsd, MrPanda, ss20ts
I can't help but get mad thinking about the people who take what they say at face value and end up paying for an extra course they don't need.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 4 users Like davewill's post:
  • frankc, jsd, rachel83az, ss20ts
That's weird! Reminded me of another post similar to yours and it was pretty recent too, I recall. Mind me asking who the first and second advisors were? I'm not here to blacklist anyone or anything remotely close to that, but having known who the 'bad apples' are and the 'good ones', it is good to keep a list of people to contact if ever needed. I have 3 that I usually go by at TESU and not in a particular order too, as my choices are pretty flexible on first, second, and third. https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid369544
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • MrPanda
(03-13-2023, 06:19 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: That's weird!  Reminded me of another post similar to yours and it was pretty recent too, I recall.  Mind me asking who the first and second advisors were? I'm not here to blacklist anyone or anything remotely close to that, but having known who the 'bad apples' are and the 'good ones', it is good to keep a list of people to contact if ever needed.  I have 3 that I usually go by at TESU and not in a particular order too, as my choices are pretty flexible on first, second, and third.  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid369544

Burton Peretti was the first one, and Joshua Hoftiezer was the second one.
In Progress
Georgia Tech OMSCS Cool
Completed

This experience reminds me exactly of what I went through during my undergrad. DF is by far more useful and I regularly refer people here as a result.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
[-] The following 1 user Likes SweetSecret's post:
  • frankc
TESU advisors are notorious for giving incorrect info. I'm not sure how that continues, but it's been this way for years and years (like the 13+ that I've been on this forum).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • frankc
How can TESU advisors be so clueless after all of these years? I don't know much about TESU, but I feel like I know more than they do about ACE courses which seems absolutely crazy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • frankc
(03-14-2023, 12:22 PM)ss20ts Wrote: How can TESU advisors be so clueless after all of these years? I don't know much about TESU, but I feel like I know more than they do about ACE courses which seems absolutely crazy.

Not knowing is one thing, they could do research and get back to you. It's the habit of shooting from the hip and giving bad info, even in the face of pushback from the student, that is unexcusable.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Quick question for the OP: were you ENROLLED as a "2ND DEGREE" student? Because that MAY have been the problem. When you are enrolled correctly, it shows that all GE including the Cornerstone, and all Free Electives, as WAIVED. So if you were just enrolled as a regular student getting a bachelor's degree, then it would show that you need the Cornerstone.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-14-2023, 12:48 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Quick question for the OP: were you ENROLLED as a "2ND DEGREE" student?  Because that MAY have been the problem.  When you are enrolled correctly, it shows that all GE including the Cornerstone, and all Free Electives, as WAIVED.  So if you were just enrolled as a regular student getting a bachelor's degree, then it would show that you need the Cornerstone.

Yes. After I sent in my transcript from my first degree last month, I actually contacted the registrar and the advisor, so they updated the evaluation to a second degree template, and it showed that all the requirements were waived except for the Area of Study (AOS). Well, I felt like the one who advised me that I must take the SOS-110 course may not have fully read my emails. I've mentioned in all my emails that I'm currently pursuing a second degree and have already obtained a degree in psychology from another university.
I believe that if any of you were asked whether I need to take SOS-110 with my existing degree from another institution, the answer would be a clear "no". It's confusing to me how this oversight happened.
In Progress
Georgia Tech OMSCS Cool
Completed

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 12 640 1 hour ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Where should I get my accounting degree? mt_1994 10 174 2 hours ago
  New link to Student Services? KsT 1 109 04-23-2024, 03:48 PM
Last Post: jch
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 618 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 544 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 406 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 384 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 343 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
  Double Degree How To kowenboy 3 303 02-29-2024, 01:05 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Tough Dual Concentration BS Degree Possible??? GameSlinger 7 663 02-28-2024, 04:31 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger