Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My classes don't add up... TESC ..... Someone help explain it to me?
US History is not humanities, but social science. With one test, CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, you would have all of your general education requirements complete under the current catalog. Why not enroll by 7/1 versus potentially having to take more classes or tests to fulfill the new general education requirements?
BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics, 2013 - TESC - Arnold Fletcher Award
AAS in Applied Computer Studies, 2013 - TESC
116 B&M Credits
32 FEMA Credits
9 ALEKS Credits - Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Trigonometry
9 Straighterline Credits - Business Communication, Microeconomics, English Composition II
6 TESC Credits - Global Environmental Change
3 DSST Credits - Environment and Humanity
I guess I get confused because on the SL website it's under humanities BUT this the email from TESC how it will fall under my plan...
And because I have an associate of science degree in medical field I have alot of the ethics classes done. The thread on here that talks about the new requirements and lists the classes that should satisfy them. Nobody will know for sure until it really happens but I'm going to try to stay with "safer classes" from this point till July and use college learner support to guide me! But I have my hands full with classes I know I'm going to need....Macro/Micro Acct 1 and 2....... Should be busy for awhile...(approx 25 credits to go hopefully won't take long) Any other feedback?

Candy,

No, History courses classify as Social Science based courses. In your case, this Straighterline course will transfer to the general education elective area, as indicated on your evaluation.

Should you have more questions, please contact our office again. Thank you.

Patricia Certo, MBA
Academic Program Advisor
Started Dec 2012 ~ BSBA Human Resource and Org Management TESC

YAY!!!! OCT 24th = DONE!!!!!!

Straighterline Courses: American History I 83%, American History II 79% Accounting I 81%, Accounting II 83%, Macro 77 %, Micro 84%,World Religions 83%, Business Law 74%, Business Ethics 78%, Organizational Behavior 78%, Intro to business 85%, Business Communications 86%
Clep: Principles of management 64, Intro to marketing 53,
DSST: Bus in Society 442 / Principles of Supervison 453 / Money and Banking 55
Penn Foster: HR management 96%, Compensation Management 88%, Emp Benefits 89%, training concepts 96%, Strategic Management 90%, Principles of Finance 82%
ALEKS: Intro To Statistics 72%, Pre-Calc 70%
TESC : Org Theory DONE~ 89%
TEEX Cybersecurity for everyone ~ Business Elective ~ 85%
I'm waiting because I just don't want that pressure. I would like to have a majority of the outside classes completed before enrolling. By then I will have a better understanding what Accounting is like and If I really want to complete my degree in it. If I start accounting by enrolling now and find out later I don't like it and change my major I will then be subject to the new guidelines anyways......

Straighterline Courses: American History I 83%, American History II 79% Accounting I 81%, Accounting II 83%, Macro 77 %, Micro 84%,World Religions 83%, Business Law 74%, Business Ethics 78%, Organizational Behavior 78%, Intro to business 85%, Business Communications 86%
Penn Foster: HR management 96%, Compensation Management 88%, Emp Benefits 89%, training concepts 96%, Strategic Management 90%, Principles of Finance 82%
Based upon your posted evaluation, you need far more than the 36 credits listed in the summary at the top.

I see the following courses or credits outstanding:
Business Communication - (3.00)
(TBD Humanities Electives) - (7.00)
Macroeconomics - (3.00)
Microeconomics - (3.00)
Statistics - (3.00)
(TBD General Ed Electives) - (7.6)
Prin of Finl Acctg - (3.00)
Prin of Mgr Acctg - (3.00)
Business Law - (3.00)
CIS - (0.32)
Prin of Finance - (3.00)
Prin of Mgmt - (3.00)
Intro Mkting - (3.00)
Business in Society - (3.00)
Strategic Mgmt - (3.00)
Intermediate Acctg I - (3.00)
Intermediate Acctg II - (3.00)
(Acctg Electives) - (12.00)
(Business Electives) - (9.00)

You have credit overages in the following courses that, if you can make a valid argument, can be entered as an exception to transfer that overage to another area (usually appropriate electives):
Intro to Psych - 0.35
Human Growth & Dev - 0.35
College Algebra - 0.35
Nat/Sci Spec Studies - 1.00

See if you can get them to apply that 1.00 in Nat/Sci Spec Studies, College Algebra 0.35, and Human Growth & Dev 0.35 to your General Ed Electives, to reduce your needed requirement in Gen Ed Eles to just six credits. That'll spare you a test to study and pay.

After that, I would suggest focusing on Financial Accounting and Managerial Accounting before anything else. In a few posts, you've mentioned an uncertainty of whether accounting is the right field for you, and you really should get that question answered before pressing forward much further. If you do want or need to make a change, better to do it early in the degree planning process, than later when you may end up with more unused credits due to mismatched requirements. If you decide accounting is the field for you, it's just a matter then of piecing together a degree plan and I'd stick with the Business Core and Accounting Core requirements until TESC makes a clear list of how the new changes to Gen Ed requirements, to again avoid wasted time, effort, and credits.

Just my $0.02.
BSBA, HR / Organizational Mgmt - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
- TESC Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration
- Arnold Fletcher Award

AAS, Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
AS, Business Administration - Thomas Edison State College, March 2012
Thanks Mrs B. FINALLY someone who agrees with me..... why does the summary say 36 but when you count it up....its way more?? Doesn't make sense.... I agree with sticking with business/acct core so I don't do more than I have too.... But you mentioned taking (Financial Accounting and Managerial Accounting) I am doing SL now and I was going to do Acct 1 and Acct 2 with them hoping to get a feel for it and decide its for me. Do you think that is a safe thing to do or are you suggesting (Financial Accounting and Managerial Accounting) would be a better choice to do first. Thanks for your feedback...

Can219 Wrote:I am doing SL now and I was going to do Acct 1 and Acct 2 with them hoping to get a feel for it and decide its for me. Do you think that is a safe thing to do or are you suggesting (Financial Accounting and Managerial Accounting) would be a better choice to do first. Thanks for your feedback...

Their count is acknowledging your total credits, which is why the numbers are off. There are a lot of unused credits included, though. Once you enroll and get your evaluation fully planned out, it'll correct itself. Until then, you'll need to read down through the eval and see where classes are missing or incomplete.

As for the recommended sequence of courses, that'll differ depending on who you're asking. My personal preference, as someone who also jumped majors a few times (I was Pre-Med when I first got out of high school, then Accounting when I first went back in 2004, then Bus. Admin when I finally got motivated to do it or die), focusing on those core courses first in your specific major will give you a good feel for the work involved, and tell you whether you need to stick with it or branch out. Others may recommend focusing on Gen Ed since they'll be needed for any major. I say answer your question of whether Accounting is the right choice first, because if you decide it's not, you can then swap to Gen Eds while deciding what is next so you do not do what I did. I filled in most of my Gen Eds first and saved Acctg for last. When I realized I'd lose my mind doing that day in and day out, I did not have much left to take and decided, "I'll just take a month or two off while I get myself sorted out." That month or two turned in to seven more years of putting the process off. As many of us can attest, if you put it off at all, life has a funny way of filling that time with other things, and it's hard to get back to it once you stop. Starting with Accounting and leaving Gen Eds gives you somewhere else to go to study while you make your decisions just in case you're not into the Accounting work so you can keep plowing away at it, just in case.
- TESC Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration
- Arnold Fletcher Award

AAS, Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
Mrs B...

Your so right...do the accounting first! Thanks for that advice.... The only other degree I would be interested in is HR/Org Managment. I see you finished your degree in that. Are you happy with that degree? Are you working in that field? Do you like it? Any advice regarding that field? Are you done with school now or are you continuing? Sorry for all the questions.

Can219 Wrote:Mrs B...

Your so right...do the accounting first! Thanks for that advice.... The only other degree I would be interested in is HR/Org Managment. I see you finished your degree in that. Are you happy with that degree? Are you working in that field? Do you like it? Any advice regarding that field? Are you done with school now or are you continuing? Sorry for all the questions.

I was very happy with the degree, though be aware that the BSBA-HROM is a BSBA. My actual diploma only says it is in Business Administration...which I prefer, since it is more versatile that way. The transcript indicates the specialization. I imagine most of the BSBA-** degrees are that way.

I somewhat work in the field. I'm an Office Manager (of just one other, heh) and do a bit of everything, from accounting to sales to admin support to HR to...basically anything requiring a piece of paper for the manufacturing facility to support the floor managers and facility manager. HR is part of my job, but just a small part, but still have to know enough to keep us our people happy and competitive, and keep the site out of DOL's crosshairs. That said, the BSBA-HROM from TESC was a good fit for me because it was not exclusively an HR degree; I was able to use Bus Eles to fill in my other needs for my job. If you wanted a job focusing exclusively in HR, I imagine you could make it work in the same way (taking more HR-related courses in Bus Ele) but the degree does not seem built for strict specialization. Another school or another degree I may not have spotted at TESC might be a better fit.

If you're asking whether or not I like the field... Heh, that's a tough question. I like the support role I have for the employer I work for, but it's a field where I can see that enjoyment would be situational depending on employer and your manager counterparts. Some managers can view HR as adversarial, and some HR people can make it adversial. It has to be viewed by both as a partnership, where ops managers make money and HR helps them not lose money. HR has to be mindful that too many well-meaning interruptions mean ops cannot focus on making money (i.e., getting me a paycheck), and ops managers have to be aware that training and the like ultimately helps their people be more productive. I've seen and heard people in roles similar to mine be miserable, so it's not a "grass is greener" situation. Also, most companies promote to HR from within, because it is the sort of job where familiarity with a company is ideal...so I could not say how difficult it might be to get a job as an external applicant. I'll admit to testing the waters a little here and there once my degree did come through just to see competitiveness, but I make an amount and have a benefits package that, in the current job market, would just be silly for me to walk away from even if I were outright miserable, which I'm not.

Someday, I plan to get an MBA (and have contemplated leaning more towards the Accounting side for that, or sticking general MBA and filling in electives with a bit more Acctg work)...but I went a little overboard with my schedule for the undergrad. It'll be a while, particularly since it would not lend anymore sellability to what I'm doing or need to do for my current career, and as I said, I'm happy where I'm at so have no major plans of making a move where it would do any good other than be a shiny checkmark on my bucket list.
- Arnold Fletcher Award

Mrs B. I took your advice and just sent an email asking about those overages! Thanks for the input. Is there a link to see your degree plan? Weighing out my options... Smile

Can219 Wrote:Mrs B. I took your advice and just sent an email asking about those overages! Thanks for the input. Is there a link to see your degree plan? Weighing out my options... Smile

It may not be of a lot of help, but you can find it linked here: http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...post132264

I had a lot of transfer credits from my Pre-med "what was I thinking?" straight out of high school college experience, so not a ton of CBE included except for a couple Gen Eds and general Business. You could use general BSBA degree plans to fill in the CBE options, though. Unfortunately for the HROM core, there are not a lot of CBE options. Excelsior ECEs are your best bet. I only used one, but I waited until late in the game to plan that section, so there may be others; don't repeat my mistake and wait to plan the core electives if you are investigating the BSBA-HROM route because options are limited and you'll need time to explore. One option I wished I had more time to investigate was some local CCs' HR courses. TESC was open to them, but I did not have enough time to take them without falling into a new enrollment period, which I was not willing to do. It's cheaper than a lot of the options you'd have in front of you, and there are more online choices...so long as you have the time to plan them into your timeline.

Don't get too off track from the Accounting degree, though, unless/until you're certain it's not for you. If you want an honest opinion, an Accounting degree is going to give you a lot more job options (and higher pay scale in the long run) than an HR degree, so long as you're comfortable with the material. Options are good, but it's YOUR future and your career, so please make the decision that's right for you and your situation.
- Arnold Fletcher Award

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,641 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  University of Potomac? anyone take classes there frank.f.franky 3 1,693 05-24-2018, 01:06 AM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Where do they Fall? Classes BSBRose21 1 1,109 05-21-2018, 08:52 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  COSC gen ed classes, from SL or credit by testing pluggingalong 10 2,617 05-14-2018, 02:00 PM
Last Post: randomatom
  Anyone take classes at DMACC upper-level, for under $200 online frank.f.franky 5 1,987 03-21-2018, 11:23 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,453 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,196 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Where are all the UL 'Natural Science' classes? scout2family 11 2,945 01-31-2018, 03:32 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Newbie looking for a roadmap for TESC associate degree in computer science nevsage 6 3,988 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ajs1976 TESC BSBA accountability thread ajs1976 41 10,348 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77