Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My confusing journey to picking a grad school
(03-08-2018, 09:06 AM)rlw74 Wrote: No, I wasn't suggesting you need two masters degree. I thought you were suggesting you needed those just to get into a field. The MBA confused me as it has very little to do with education. One masters + a PhD should be more than sufficient. Heck, all you need is one masters to teach at some colleges. A lot of PhDs get their masters and teach while pursuing their PhD.

Well the Masters I'm planning to get, the M.Ed in ID is not going to be sufficient for teaching. Whereas the MBA alone would be, I would have lots of grad credits in Business and could teach business. However, even though it's faster, it's a detour from my goals so I'm not going to do that.

I feel like I might just get a cheap PhD that's not related to my goals. Or, I've been thinking, and maybe I will spend more on the PhD that aligns with my goals best.

Personally, I don't feel I could earn that much with just a Masters since I'm kind of stuck with only freelancing from home (and maybe adjuncting at CCs which does not pay that well, I could not handle more than 1 class per term, maybe 2). Not even sure I can earn that much if I spend lots on the best PhD, etc.

I've become even more interested in an MPH, no matter what concentration, but I think I've probably visited every RA and NA school that offers an MPH. I even decided that I'd pay more for an RA program as long as it was faster and otherwise good, but I'm about to give up on searching for them. There's an NA program which is tempting since it has successful alumni, but I'm feeling like I'm going to go for an MPH from a UK school in the end.

I still plan on doing the M.Ed in ID first because it's RA, cheap, quick, and I feel the subject matter is interesting and relevant to my future. It feels like I'm not giving up anything by doing this.

I know it seems somewhat crazy to have multiple Masters degrees, but I really want one that's RA, and then the foreign MPH. I feel it makes so much sense to get this RA one and then MPH that's somewhat cheaper/faster (still probably 12 months minumum and around $15K, maybe more).

When you combine their time and cost, I'm still paying less and going faster than most Masters degrees. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get through the next few years of my life without getting 2 Masters degrees in some way, and I think these are going to be the ones. I don't think it's crazy at all. What is crazy is I'm interested in doing yet another degree before the PhD, but I probably won't, so that I can get going on the PhD.

I'm worried that the PhD programs won't let me finish if I move abroad as planned, but I'll figure out some program that lets me finish.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 876 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,452 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  American Institute of Law - My Journey AnonJD2027 14 1,913 03-19-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: JazzMac
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,841 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 15,340 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  Northwestern California University School of Law - My Journey GoodYellowDogs 47 14,277 02-14-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: MFG
  School of Business and Trade evaluation bjcheung77 12 1,244 01-11-2024, 10:36 PM
Last Post: adrian052
  Article bashes Harvard Extension ALM Grad smartdegree 50 8,270 12-25-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  European Grad Studies Abroad: Cost of Living vs Low Tuition Fees bjcheung77 7 1,406 12-23-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Medical School, AMCAS, Prerequisites, Pass or fail, online college, etc... CanICode 22 3,348 10-18-2023, 08:38 AM
Last Post: CanICode