Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My degree plan for TESU BA in CS; thoughts/recs?
I'm halfway through my 15cr term at TESU! ~6 weeks left... the end is in sight.

Main question for this post: I've wanted to take the final exam for the CIS-1070 e-Pack for a long time now (especially after having learned that it was arguably the easiest e-Pack/TECEP), but I got second thoughts recently after finding out that certain others found that they barely passed, even with studying. I got a 72% on the practice final exam. I need a 60% to pass. Should I take a little more time to get familiar with the Microsoft Office apps? I feel like that'd be the highest-yield place to learn at this time since I'm already very familiar with Google Workspace. I just extrapolated what I knew from that and did pretty alright.

Here's a detailed look at how I did too, if that helps:
  • Claim 1 // Utilize basic functions of a desktop-based operating system. (12 questions) 83%
  • Claim 2 // Perform basic skills using word processing software. (17 questions) 71%
  • Claim 3 // Perform basic skills using presentation software. (16 questions) 81%
  • Claim 4 // Perform basic skills using spreadsheet software. (15 questions) 53%
  • Claim 5 // Explain how computers are used in the business environment. (3 questions) 100%
  • Claim 6 // Distinguish between system software and user software. (5 questions) 100%
  • Claim 7 // Describe communication networks. (9 questions) 56%
  • Claim 8 // Summarize the functions of database management systems. (8 questions) 38%
  • Claim 9 // Explain system and program development. (3 questions) 67%
  • Claim 10 // Examine security, privacy, and ethical concerns in IT. (4 questions) 100%
  • Claim 11 // List the hardware components of a computer. (5 questions) 80%
  • Claim 12 // Summarize the functions of various peripheral devices. (3 questions) 100%
  • Overall assessment result 72%

Side question for this post: It's been tough at times throughout this term because I'm not too sure how thorough I should be in my writings for the Cornerstone, the Capstone, and Software Engineering (SWE). At times, it feels like I'm doing the bare minimum since I'm skipping most (if not, all) of the module readings, not revising for quality, etc. On the other hand though, particularly with the Capstone and SWE, sometimes I really do desire making something actually substantive, so I take a lot of time to read things/listen to videos re: whatever I'm talking about.

One poster I saw here even said they finished SWE in 20 hours; what?! So awesome. I don't know if that's in the cards for me, but if it isn't, that's totally alright. If it is possible though and I'm just spending too much time on the reading/writing, then I should learn where I can tone it down a bit.
Currently going for ...
— TESU BA in Computer Science (expected June 2024)
— TESU ASNSM in Mathematics (expected June 2024)
— TESU Certificate in Computer Information Systems (expected June 2024)

Completed ...
— N/A (except for K-12 :p)
— The majority of my academic plan, which can be found here
Let's ...
— flipping go!!! (last updated 04/13/2023)
(12-06-2023, 11:24 AM)bruh Wrote: Main question for this post: I've wanted to take the final exam for the CIS-1070 e-Pack for a long time now (especially after having learned that it was arguably the easiest e-Pack/TECEP), but I got second thoughts recently after finding out that certain others found that they barely passed, even with studying. I got a 72% on the practice final exam. I need a 60% to pass.

I had thought you needed a 70% to pass?

(12-06-2023, 11:24 AM)bruh Wrote: Side question for this post: It's been tough at times throughout this term because I'm not too sure how thorough I should be in my writings for the Cornerstone, the Capstone, and Software Engineering (SWE). At times, it feels like I'm doing the bare minimum since I'm skipping most (if not, all) of the module readings, not revising for quality, etc. On the other hand though, particularly with the Capstone and SWE, sometimes I really do desire making something actually substantive, so I take a lot of time to read things/listen to videos re: whatever I'm talking about.

One poster I saw here even said they finished SWE in 20 hours; what?! So awesome. I don't know if that's in the cards for me, but if it isn't, that's totally alright. If it is possible though and I'm just spending too much time on the reading/writing, then I should learn where I can tone it down a bit.

I wouldn't worry about reading the SWE book. The assignments don't reference the book much.

With citations, I write about 500 words per hour. They aren't too picky about citations until you do the capstone. Ask the professor if you are unsure if a professor wants "scholarly" citations.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • bruh
(12-06-2023, 06:50 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(12-06-2023, 11:24 AM)bruh Wrote: I got a 72% on the practice final exam. I need a 60% to pass.

I had thought you needed a 70% to pass?

(12-06-2023, 11:24 AM)bruh Wrote: Side question for this post: It's been tough at times throughout this term because I'm not too sure how thorough I should be in my writings for the Cornerstone, the Capstone, and Software Engineering (SWE). At times, it feels like I'm doing the bare minimum since I'm skipping most (if not, all) of the module readings, not revising for quality, etc. On the other hand though, particularly with the Capstone and SWE, sometimes I really do desire making something actually substantive, so I take a lot of time to read things/listen to videos re: whatever I'm talking about.

I wouldn't worry about reading the SWE book. The assignments don't reference the book much.

With citations, I write about 500 words per hour. They aren't too picky about citations until you do the capstone. Ask the professor if you are unsure if a professor wants "scholarly" citations.

The description for the TECEP says that it's 70%, but the e-Pack syllabus provided in Moodle says 60%. I sent an email to double check too though, so I'll post an update when I get a reply. Maybe tutorials on YouTube could be a good way to improve my knowledge before taking the final?

That sounds good too, I've similarly found that I don't actually need the SWE book. Thanks for the heads-up re: citations too.
Currently going for ...

Completed ...
Let's ...
Just a note is to take advice, reviews, etc with a grain of salt as YMMV when there are so many various variables at play. Even if someone can do the SWE class in 20 hours, not everyone may get it done that quickly. You should decide on what the flat rate classes you want are, such as the cap/cornerstone and 3 easy classes or e-packs.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • bruh
Bro... I'm on my second-to-last week of my 15cr term of TESU... This capstone has been a doozy. For those in the future reading this in the hope of doing this class someday too, you absolutely have to follow the advice of others saying to write something like a page per day for your final essay/argument/elaboration of what your problem statement puts forward. I sorta took that advice as in writing a page per day about whatever assignment it is. The real challenge though is about two-thirds into the semester and the assignment comes up wherein you have to elaborate on your arguments and the various parts and layers thereof. Start early and write a page per day from like the moment you identify the structure of whatever you're writing about; that's pretty solid advice indeed. I didn't do that, and I put everything else off for the past 3 weeks trying to catch up. I basically have to finish 4 weeks of assignments in 9 days. The finish line is so close though. Heed this cautionary tale.  Sleepy
Currently going for ...

Completed ...
Let's ...
In addition to that, for those who are really tight with deadlines and need an extension, you absolutely should do that for the Capstone course, the other flat rate classes you're taking shouldn't require the extension... I would highly recommend people who are at least 50% or more complete with the capstone to email their professor and get the extension, this can potentially help you get a better grade in the end.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • bruh

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 3 62 1 hour ago
Last Post: davewill
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 591 Yesterday, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 34 2,164 Yesterday, 05:21 AM
Last Post: ASenna
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 1,902 Yesterday, 12:31 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SNHU BS Data Analytics course plan, advice? sole13 8 206 04-17-2024, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sole13
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 198 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,145 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  LUO or TESU for BSBA kimberlyagapril 5 186 04-16-2024, 01:06 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 4 523 04-16-2024, 07:20 AM
Last Post: Mems88
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 43 4,300 04-15-2024, 09:45 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77