Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEED WGU ADVICE - BSB-HR and transfer credits?
At my current school I planned on spending this summer flying through as many CLEPs & DSSTs as possible to offset the super expensive tuition I'm paying, I'm currently taking two exams every weekend.

Now I'm working on applying & transferring to WGU because I've read a lot in this forum about their CBE model and I love it. I'm programmed to keep plugging through these exams and transfer as many as possible to WGU, but now that I think about it, is this even necessary? It sounds like WGU is structured similar to the way I'm studying for exams, so is it even worth it to continue taking them? Or should I just work through them at WGU? It sounds like I can take the exams for WGU at home which is way better than having to take CLEPs & DSSTs (I have to drive 80+ miles to take them).

Please and thank you degreeforum friends! You have no idea how much I've learned from these forums already, I appreciate any feedback anyone feels like offering regarding WGU in general.
WGU - BS Business, HR - Completed September 2017
WGU - MS, Management & Leadership - Started February 2018
There are options besides CLEP/DSST. The popular ones are Study.com and Straighterline, because they are so quick and cheap. You do an online proctored test at home using a webcam. There is also ALEKS, TEEX, Davar who is having a good sale in June, and others. There are also a few Saylor exams which are ACE credit. With Saylor, you get 3 credits for $25 total, so under $9 per credit.

What credits do you still need?

My suggestion is to complete your general education requirements first and then apply to them. You can try and finish your BS-HR in 1 term.
In fact, if you look at your other post, rowan555's son is trying to complete that in one term for $3K, you just can't beat that! Good luck.
See your earlier thread for Rowan555's signature: http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...e-wgu.html
I recommend you to follow exactly how they did it, and/or replace courses in their list the CLEP/DSST courses you have passed. I've copy/pasted:

Rowan555's signature shows the following: Here Researching for my son, who has done the following:
Community College: Intro to Philosophy, Fundamentals of IT, English Comp 1
Saylor: Intro to Business, Principles of Marketing, Corporate Communication
Shmoop: US History 2 (WGU won't accept this)
ALEKS: Int. Algebra, College Algebra
Study.com: Personal Finance, Principles of Finance, HR Management, Global Business, Advanced Operations Management
Straighterline: US History 2, Environmental Science, US History, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, English Comp 2, Principles of Management, Business Law, Business Ethics, Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Accounting 1,Communication, Managerial Accounting, Statistics
Ed4Credit: Managing Information Systems
Sophia: Project Management
CURRENT - Enrolling 6/1 for HR Management at WGU - completion date 11/30/17

Read my signature contents and the wiki for more details - Create a spreadsheet to track your progress and for reference.
Your best bet is to supplement what you currently have with Straighterline and Study.com, those are the easiest/fastest.
See thread: http://www.degreeforum.net/saylor-org-st...1-via.html
http://www.degreeforum.net/saylor-org-st...548-a.html
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
jessikalauren Wrote:At my current school I planned on spending this summer flying through as many CLEPs & DSSTs as possible to offset the super expensive tuition I'm paying, I'm currently taking two exams every weekend.

Now I'm working on applying & transferring to WGU because I've read a lot in this forum about their CBE model and I love it. I'm programmed to keep plugging through these exams and transfer as many as possible to WGU, but now that I think about it, is this even necessary? It sounds like WGU is structured similar to the way I'm studying for exams, so is it even worth it to continue taking them? Or should I just work through them at WGU? It sounds like I can take the exams for WGU at home which is way better than having to take CLEPs & DSSTs (I have to drive 80+ miles to take them).

Please and thank you degreeforum friends! You have no idea how much I've learned from these forums already, I appreciate any feedback anyone feels like offering regarding WGU in general.

Not every WGU class is strictly exams, from what I've read. Some require additional work - projects and/or papers. So, before jumping into it, I would make sure that the model is exactly what you're thinking. And I would also try to figure out what courses you can bring in, and create a spreadsheet showing the price for everything. You have to weigh the options between taking more courses/exams before enrolling, and what you think you can get through your courses quickly at WGU, which is what you want to do. A good example is English Comp I & II. You don't want to spend your time at WGU taking these courses when you can test out of them with the CLEP/DSST's or take SL/Study.com to take them, freeing up your time at WGU for courses that are harder to find cheaply. You want to plan it out so that your 1 to 2 terms at WGU are spent moving through as few courses as quickly as possible.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I would check the Straighterline course transfer guide on their site and go from there. My son completed about 45 credits at SL and was able to get a $200 tuition discount at WGU, then he earned a $2,000 scholarship due to taking courses via SL. I highly recommend knocking out everything you can before enrolling - some courses that you can complete very easily and quickly via SL are apparently beasts at WGU - particularly their Intro to Business course, which shocked me, as well as the first science requirement and a few others. Note - SL does not include Environmental Science in the course transfer list, but it DOES transfer in for Integrated Natural Sciences. And it's a very easy class.
Here Researching for my son, who has done the following:
Saylor: Intro to Business, Principles of  Marketing, Corporate Communication
Study.com: Personal Finance, Principles of Finance, HR Management, Global Business, Advanced Operations Management
Straighterline: US History 2, Environmental Science, US History, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, English Comp 2, Principles of Management, Business Law, Business Ethics, Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Accounting 1,Communication, Managerial Accounting, Statistics
WGU: Bachelors in HR Management 

Second son is currently attending Penn Foster for his high school diploma, then on to Ashworth for An Associates in Criminal Justice
[-] The following 1 user Likes rowan555's post:
  • daelaria
rowan555 Wrote:I would check the Straighterline course transfer guide on their site and go from there. My son completed about 45 credits at SL and was able to get a $200 tuition discount at WGU, then he earned a $2,000 scholarship due to taking courses via SL. I highly recommend knocking out everything you can before enrolling - some courses that you can complete very easily and quickly via SL are apparently beasts at WGU - particularly their Intro to Business course, which shocked me, as well as the first science requirement and a few others. Note - SL does not include Environmental Science in the course transfer list, but it DOES transfer in for Integrated Natural Sciences. And it's a very easy class.

This is exactly what I needed, thank you! I'm spending the time and effort (and money) already on these CLEP/DSST exams and it's working really well for me, so I'm wondering if I should keep doing that because it's a better option than WGU. WGU is also self-paced so I'm trying to compare apples with apples here.

I have not explored Straighterline yet because the school I'm at now doesn't accept them, and CLEP/DSST was working just fine for me. Maybe I should revisit since I'm transferring to WGU? I went through a free five-day trial with Study.com and really liked the videos I watched, does WGU issue credit for these or are they just a good study resource?
jessikalauren Wrote:This is exactly what I needed, thank you! I'm spending the time and effort (and money) already on these CLEP/DSST exams and it's working really well for me, so I'm wondering if I should keep doing that because it's a better option than WGU. WGU is also self-paced so I'm trying to compare apples with apples here.

I have not explored Straighterline yet because the school I'm at now doesn't accept them, and CLEP/DSST was working just fine for me. Maybe I should revisit since I'm transferring to WGU? I went through a free five-day trial with Study.com and really liked the videos I watched, does WGU issue credit for these or are they just a good study resource?

WGU will take CLEP/DSST exams, as well as Study.com courses. The only issue is that they haven't posted exactly what they will take from Study.com like they have on SL's website yet. They look to be in the process, but it's just not as clear what the Study.com courses will clear for requirements.

If you post all of your credits here, we can help make a spreadsheet for the WGU degree, so you can then weigh the costs of continuing to take exams/courses vs. enrolling at WGU. And we can tell you what will transfer over.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
jessikalauren Wrote:This is exactly what I needed, thank you! I'm spending the time and effort (and money) already on these CLEP/DSST exams and it's working really well for me, so I'm wondering if I should keep doing that because it's a better option than WGU. WGU is also self-paced so I'm trying to compare apples with apples here.

You can check my signature line for courses WGU accepted from Study.com for my son. He also was going to take Project Management with them, which I confirmed WGU accepts, but he ended up taking it via Sophia because it didn't require a paper. The only thing I can tell you for sure not to do is to take Principles of Management at Study.com - SL's transfers in as 4 credits per WGU requirements, and it's the only one they accept. Also, Advanced Operations Management at Study.com transfers in as Business Statistics - so if you take Business Stats elsewhere or at SL, don't take that one at Study because it's the same course as far as WGU is concerned (although the courses are actually quite different).

Second son is currently attending Penn Foster for his high school diploma, then on to Ashworth for An Associates in Criminal Justice
rowan555 Wrote:You can check my signature line for courses WGU accepted from Study.com for my son. He also was going to take Project Management with them, which I confirmed WGU accepts, but he ended up taking it via Sophia because it didn't require a paper. The only thing I can tell you for sure not to do is to take Principles of Management at Study.com - SL's transfers in as 4 credits per WGU requirements, and it's the only one they accept. Also, Advanced Operations Management at Study.com transfers in as Business Statistics - so if you take Business Stats elsewhere or at SL, don't take that one at Study because it's the same course as far as WGU is concerned (although the courses are actually quite different).

You and I will be close friends because I'm pursuing the same degree (BSB-HR), thank you for your insight!
jessikalauren Wrote:You and I will be close friends because I'm pursuing the same degree (BSB-HR), thank you for your insight!

I'll have to figure out a way to connect you with my son so you guys can cheer each other on. He's not on this forum. He's working on Employment Law right now, trying to get through as much of it as possible prior to his start date.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question regarding transfer credit courses jobojoe285 6 337 03-28-2024, 12:35 AM
Last Post: jobojoe285
  75% of credits oram3189 5 689 02-15-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  New transfer credit for Master degree - WGU Imbanewbie 16 2,264 01-20-2024, 04:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Expired CompTIA Certs for Transfer siersema 4 670 01-15-2024, 04:50 PM
Last Post: raekwon
  Computer Science 305: Operating Systems Transfer to WGU alesalsa10 4 750 10-19-2023, 02:20 PM
Last Post: alesalsa10
  Course Options - Need Advice SCM101 2 466 10-18-2023, 11:32 AM
Last Post: SCM101
  How do I know what classes I have completed and can transfer? tazz 17 2,983 10-06-2023, 05:02 PM
Last Post: tazz
  CLEP and CompTIA credits for BS in CS students? nomaduser 4 583 10-03-2023, 04:02 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  How do transfer (sophia.org/ACE) credits look on a WGU transcript for grad school? dan087 4 1,055 09-25-2023, 05:01 AM
Last Post: dan087
  Need Overall Advice Alim83 9 993 06-19-2023, 03:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77