Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need 5 traditional credit hours, recommendations?
(04-06-2022, 04:16 PM)rachel83az Wrote: ONU is still the best RA option as far as cost & ease goes.

Do you have any room to transfer in any non-RA credits? Saylor has Technical Writing, and it appears that APUS accepts it as ENGL220: https://www.apu.apus.edu/transfer-credit...coursework Saylor isn't the easiest, but each exam is only $5.
Hello Rachel, 
Sadly, I don’t have any room for non traditional credits. May be I should just buckle down and try to finish the ONU class.
There are some TECEP and UExcel exams that would work, but not sure if they're considered RA or "alt-credit":

UExcel
COMx215: Interpersonal Communication

TECEP
COM-209: Public Speaking
ENG-201: Technical Writing
ENG-202: Technical Communication
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
https://www.apu.apus.edu/transfer-credit/ted.html

COMx 215 (specifically the COMx prefix) should transfer in as COMM285

COM-209 should transfer in as COMM 200
ENG-201 should transfer in as ENGL220
ENG-202 doesn't have an APUS equivalent
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
You might want to email academic advising and see if either TECEPs or UEXCELs will work, if they don't then take the courses at ONU. If they do, then you can quickly decide on your options - Course vs Exam. Good luck, you've got this, have fun either way!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(04-06-2022, 07:53 PM)dfrecore Wrote: There are some TECEP and UExcel exams that would work, but not sure if they're considered RA or "alt-credit":

UExcel
COMx215: Interpersonal Communication

TECEP
COM-209: Public Speaking
ENG-201: Technical Writing
ENG-202: Technical Communication

Hello,
Thank you for this information. I will reach out to APUS this morning.  It seems like TECEP and UEXCEL would be so much faster. But, like you said, they might come in as alt-credit. I will find out.
Thank you again,
Jared

(04-07-2022, 12:11 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: You might want to email academic advising and see if either TECEPs or UEXCELs will work, if they don't then take the courses at ONU.  If they do, then you can quickly decide on your options - Course vs Exam.  Good luck, you've got this, have fun either way!

Hello,
Thank you for this advice. I will reach out to APUS this morning and see if they can tell me how TECEP and UEXCEL will transfer.
I appreciate your help.
Respectfully,
Jared

(04-06-2022, 08:47 PM)carrythenothing Wrote: https://www.apu.apus.edu/transfer-credit/ted.html

COMx 215 (specifically the COMx prefix) should transfer in as COMM285

COM-209 should transfer in as COMM 200
ENG-201 should transfer in as ENGL220
ENG-202 doesn't have an APUS equivalent

Hello,
Thank you for your response. I appreciate your help. I will find out what APUS will accept.
Thank you again,
Jared
Hello,
I just received an e-mail reply from APUS and I just spoke to them on the phone as well. After speaking with them, it sounds like anything from excelsior transfers in as non-traditional credit. Therefore, it does work for me. However, APUS advised that several of the TECEP options would work in my situation. They advised that following TECEP would work for my grad plan:
English Composition II (ENC-102-TE)

Public Speaking (COM-209-TE)

[/url][url=https://www2.tesu.edu/tecep.php?CourseCode=COM-209]Technical Communication (ENG-202-TE)

I guess I will look into these options. Given these options, if any of you have opinions, or advice, I am grateful for your help.

Thank you,
Huero
(04-07-2022, 01:08 PM)huero Wrote: Hello,
I just received an e-mail reply from APUS and I just spoke to them on the phone as well. After speaking with them, it sounds like anything from excelsior transfers in as non-traditional credit. Therefore, it does work for me. However, APUS advised that several of the TECEP options would work in my situation. They advised that following TECEP would work for my grad plan:

[/url][url=https://www2.tesu.edu/tecep.php?CourseCode=COM-209]Technical Communication (ENG-202-TE)

I guess I will look into these options. Given these options, if any of you have opinions, or advice, I am grateful for your help.

Thank you,
Huero

I took the English Comp II TECEP cold and passed.  It was easy.  But, I'd only do it if you're a proficient typist, as there is a lot to type.

If you look at the other 2, they explain what you have to do, and both require pre-test work.  So, I'm thinking the test itself is fairly easy, and you just do the other work beforehand and submit it during the exam.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(04-07-2022, 04:07 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(04-07-2022, 01:08 PM)huero Wrote: Hello,

Thank you,
Huero

I took the English Comp II TECEP cold and passed.  It was easy.  But, I'd only do it if you're a proficient typist, as there is a lot to type.

If you look at the other 2, they explain what you have to do, and both require pre-test work.  So, I'm thinking the test itself is fairly easy, and you just do the other work beforehand and submit it during the exam.
May be I will look at English comp II.  I can type okay, not great.  How long is the research paper? There have been a couple people  express that it wasn’t terribly hard.  I can’t decide if I should try that test or just go back to the ONU. 

At any rate, I was surprised that APUS would only transfer excelsior credits as non-traditional.  I thought excelsior was RA. 

Thanks again for all the help. 
Jared
(04-07-2022, 07:00 PM)huero Wrote: At any rate, I was surprised that APUS would only transfer excelsior credits as non-traditional.  I thought excelsior was RA. 

Courses taken at EC are RA.  But how a school will bring in UExcel exam credit is totally up to the school.  I could see the argument for either way.
Hello,
After speaking to APUS last week, I sent an email to clarify why they didnt except excelsior credits as traditional. They replied this morning. In part, they said:

"We can confirm that you can take your final course either with BYU, Excelsior College or Thomas Edison State University. These schools are considered traditional. If you have a course in mind and would like to send it to us to be reviewed before you register, you may do so as well."

So, it looks like I could take a uexcel, tecep, or another class from BYU ect. Additionally, I thought about taking a straighter-line english course to obtain the missing gen-ed credit. Obviously, since I have already maxed out the non-traditional transfer credits, this route would delete a 3 hour credit from my general electives. Rachel had a great idea to take GEO121 at ONU. I could take this course to replace the missing elective with the 3 hour RA credit from ONU, if I go this route. Frankly, at this point, I am just looking for the easiest and fastest way to get the missing gen ed. I like the straighterline idea because its self paced and I may be able to get through it quickly. In addition, Rachel's suggestion for GEO121 looks good because ONU shows that it only takes 54 hours to complete.

Have any of your guys done these options? If so, I would love to hear which one you think is the easiest.

I appreciate all of you who have offered your help and expertise. I had never even heard of Straighterline, Uexcel, Tecep, or anything else until I stumbled into this site. It has been a life-saver.
Thank you again,
Jared

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tired of being bad at math and looking to enroll in online math classes for credit xor 9 613 02-26-2024, 12:32 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Need Help On How To Get Credit for ACE/NCCRS Credits eyrobinson 4 432 01-19-2024, 01:36 PM
Last Post: eyrobinson
Wink Fast RA Credit Options User7364 9 857 01-04-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Recommendations Needed for an online Artificial Intelligence certification or degree xspect 11 1,063 12-01-2023, 01:23 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Mature student seeks help with college credit/bypassing courses. Psychology oriented. Cyath 27 2,458 11-12-2023, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Getting into a traditional PHD program after degree hacking? deuil 7 1,044 11-04-2023, 11:58 AM
  Non-Traditional Law school route. AlvinG 32 3,656 08-20-2023, 01:32 AM
Last Post: AlvinG
  Self Paced RA credit for English Literature? rlw74 4 749 06-11-2023, 02:07 AM
  TESU - credit questions kevinks 6 1,330 03-20-2023, 01:02 AM
Last Post: kevinks
  Need Credit Review/Advice for Pierpont BOG AAS Degree VP576 7 1,172 02-05-2023, 08:23 PM
Last Post: Insert Name