Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Bachelors in 6 Months...Options?
Just realized that I haven't updated this thread in 2 months!! :leaving:

What is it they say about the best laid plans of mice and men? hilarious

I had a wonderful job opportunity fall right into my lap, and I couldn't say no. Unfortunately, winding down my side gig is going to take another 6-8 weeks, which means I'm working a full time day job, and a part time night job right now.

That doesn't leave much time for school in the short term. Sad

On the plus side, this means I can finish without taking out any student loans, and I'm still moving forward - just much more slowly then I was before. I applied to COSC and sent everything in to them. They were, in all honesty, pretty generous with me as it pertains to applying coursework to the major, and a couple of LL/UL discrepancies that landed in my favor in each case.

I'm definitely NOT going to finish in 6 months now. But 12 months from when I started is still feasible, and I'm moving steadily toward that goal.

By the way...I haven't been able to get the Study.com 20% discount code to work for some reason. Can anyone out there confirm whether or not it's still active and usable?

P.S. - jsd - You were right about the TOR Psych History class. The book is horribly dry, and I'm already dreading taking the exam. And to that point - they have been completely unresponsive when I've tried to inquire about the viability of the class, and the ability to take the exam once I've finished the coursework. It's giving me cold feet about continuing any further with the class right now.
Bachelor of Arts: Psychology - TESU (pending conferral)
120/120 units complete

SPHR (Senior Professional in Human Resources)
Anticipated Completion Date: 3/31/2019

Master of Human Resource Management - CSU Global
Start Date: 7/1/2019
the questions for that exam came from obscure facts from the text. it wasn't so much about understanding the overall systems and theories as it was knowing specifics that really have no real world application (such as "who was the 3rd president of the APA?").

I passed it, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Check your PMs in a couple mins, i'm sending you a note.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Nodaclu Wrote:Brief update...

I hit a bit of a slow patch as I was wrapping up 2 jobs at the same time, so I thought I'd use the time to go ahead and apply to COSC, and see how my coursework would transfer.

It came out very similarly to how I envisioned it, with one plus (they substituted one of my non-lab science classes for a lab-based one, and forgave the lab, so it appears I won't have to complete it), and one minus (the Psychophysiology class I took at Fresno State wasn't slotted into COSC's Neuropsychology class as I'd anticipated. I'm appealing that one, as the course descriptions are incredibly close between the two schools.

---

PSY 450 - COSC
This course provides an overview of neuropsychological disorders and treatment including the history of the science, disorders associated with hemispheric specialization, motor control problems, deficits in attention, language, memory, generalized cognitive disorders, and our current understanding of the relationship between brain plasticity and recovery of function.

PSY 36 - Fresno State
An introduction to the role of the nervous system in psychological processes, including the basis of nerve conduction, the role of neurotransmitters, and basic neuroanatomy. The course also addresses the neurophysiology underlying sensory processes, motivation, emotion, sleep and dreaming, language, learning and memory, addiction, and mental disorders.

---

All in all, I can't complain about how they incorporated my mess of coursework into their degree program. Now to just finish it...

While I'm waiting for the Financial Aid side of things to catch up, I started with an inexpensive ALEKS class (Statistics, which ironically enough, is probably going to be my most difficult class to pass in this entire degree program). After the initial evaluation, I only had mastery of 29 out of 119 subject areas, so I have a ways to go to finish this one.

Hopefully all of the financials will be in place by the time I pass the exam.

I'm not sure I'll get this thing finished in 6 months, but my goal is to do as much as I can in that time frame, and be so close that, by the time I have to go back to work, I won't be any more than a couple of classes away from finishing.

I'll keep this thread updated as I progress.

Hi Nodaclu,
I downloaded your COSC psychology degree plan, and I am curious if all the study.com were equivalent to courses at COSC in the way you inputed them in your degree plan?

I am still trying to figure out between COSC and TESU and would really like to see how a current psychology degree plan would work out with them.

thank you!
dfrecore Wrote:This is a totally doable plan!

The easiest and fastest (and probably cheapest) will be the TESU BSBA in HR or General Management, mostly because you can test out of the Capstone (vs. having to take a 3-month Capstone through any other degree plan there). The main issue is going to be the Cornerstone, which will become a requirement at TESU starting on May 25, and I'm guessing you're going to have to take it. [/url]

Is this still applicable? Is operations management different?
We are all on the same side here, trying to better our lives....so let's get along and help each other out. 

Learn a trade. Gain technical skills. Make money, then use this money to get a degree...if you have the desire. 

No, operations management is the same regarding the capstone and cornerstone. However, there's no "standard" way to get your AOS credits for the Operations Management degree. I did it by getting a CPIM certification, and made a mini-guide post doing it that way, but you can cobble together courses and tests from Study.com and CSU Global to do it, probably.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
icampy Wrote:Is this still applicable? Is operations management different?

Ops Management is able to be done through test-out, but it will be more expensive by about $600 because you have to take some courses through CSU-Global CBE (at least 3 of them).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Wow...time sure flies.

In October 2016, my wife became seriously ill, and my life pretty much stopped. I had to quit my nice, new job to take care of her. School stopped, the side gig stopped. Everything in life pretty much ground to a halt for 7 months, as she needed nearly 24/7 care through mid-March.

Happily, she is now recovering, went back to work a few weeks ago, and can now drive herself to Doctor's appointments, which means I can tentatively begin pursuing "life" again. Smile

So here's where things currently sit:

I have 79 semester units completed. (See breakdown in my sig.)

My degree has been leaning toward Psychology (because it would be the quickest and cheapest option for me - especially if I was going to continue my work in Human Resources). After re-reading my threads, and looking at the degree plan I was working from, I think that finishing a degree in Psychology (or maybe Social Science) through COSC still makes the most sense (especially now that I've finished the 3 unit Cornerstone class at COSC).

But it also makes sense to me, to pursue a Master's Degree shortly thereafter. I'm getting older (I'm a 47 year old male who has never been in Management), and that graduate degree might make it a little harder for companies to discriminate based on age.

For now...I'm back to pursuing this degree. 41 units to go!

I'm no longer trying to do this in 6 months (obviously), but the fast and cheap parameters definitely still apply. I'll continue to update this post as I progress.

Thanks again to everyone for all of your thoughts, advice, opinions and encouragement. I *will* do this!

-Mike
Bachelor of Arts: Psychology - TESU (pending conferral)
120/120 units complete

SPHR (Senior Professional in Human Resources)
Anticipated Completion Date: 3/31/2019

Master of Human Resource Management - CSU Global
Start Date: 7/1/2019

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Georgetown Coursera Bachelors smartdegree 73 9,007 03-18-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: SilentWarrior
  15 Worst Bachelors - Student Loan Dept bjcheung77 9 823 12-31-2023, 02:45 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Tuition Payment Options lidel 0 289 11-09-2023, 08:51 AM
Last Post: lidel
  Second bachelors for my sister? IceSparkle 22 1,453 09-18-2023, 12:35 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  High School online from the UK | 9 months, A Levels equivalent in the US elcastor21 7 587 08-26-2023, 01:01 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  2023-2024 Pell Grant Max: $7395 (Options to use this) bjcheung77 8 1,334 07-31-2023, 10:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  When does six months for TADA start? natshar 2 607 03-06-2023, 06:32 AM
Last Post: xianbd
  BYU Pathway Worldwide - Ensign College (BYU-I Partnership Undergrad Options) bjcheung77 2 1,044 08-29-2022, 01:10 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Pathophysiology options? allvia 12 1,836 08-24-2022, 07:40 AM
Last Post: allvia
  Computing & IT - UK Bachelors Equivalent - £905.00 bjcheung77 15 3,248 05-28-2022, 09:34 PM
Last Post: nyvrem