Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Help Deciding on TESC Degree Objective
Hi,

I am hoping some of you can advise me. I stumbled upon this forum when checking on renewing our InstantCert subscription, and I am SO glad I did. It has been SO helpful to read your posts!

My oldest dd is working toward her BA in English at TESC.

While our oldest has been taking CLEP & DSST, her sister, a year younger, has taken all the same ones (except one), so she has 65 credits.

Now the dilemma: Younger dd is not totally sure what she wants to major in. She thinks might want to get her degree in Natural Sciences & Mathematics or *possibly* Liberal Arts.
Drawback to Nat. Sci. & Math seems to be the lack of upper level science & math courses available without having to go to a brick and mortar college locally. Do you know of any distance upper level courses--particularly science?
Possible drawback to Liberal Arts: Is this degree too "general"?

Older dd is using a "coaching" program, which we have considered for our younger dd. However, for financial reasons (two TESC tuitions looming on the horizon), we were hoping to be able to "coach" our younger dd through ourselves.

Do any of you have recommendations for us?
So far, here are her credits:

CLEP:
American Lit.
An. & Interp. Lit.
Eng. Lit.
Humanities
Am. Gov't.
Hist. of US I
Hist. of US II
Human Growth & Dev.
Intro. to Ed. Psych.
Intro. Psych.
Intro. Sociology
Western Civ. I
Western Civ. II
Biology
Natural Sciences

DSST: Art of the W. World

Thanks in advance for your help!
Quote:we were hoping to be able to "coach" our younger dd through ourselves.

Piece of cake with help of this forum and it's members. A couple of people (at least) are doing the BA Natural Science/Math degree through TESC , (Lindagr and others)

That degree should be encouraged as it fills the entrance needs to a variety of Graduate degrees. I think there are also grants available SMART Student Aid on the Web

Within TESC the Global Environmental Studies 6 credit course, a handful of the CS courses, Gerentology etc... fill the bill. My son had an Intro to Oceanography course (100 level at a local CC) transfer into TESC as a 300 NS level course....so there are a few ways to earn those credits.

Stick around, you'll be surprised at the wealth of info here.
Excelsior - BS Business 2008
Son #1 TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems completed June 2010
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
I am ofcourse partial to science, but I would think it would give her a better base for getting into a lot of fields and graduate schools.

Now as for the upper level credits. You need to go to the TESC page that tells you what credits they give for different test, because they often give upper level for exams others don't. If you search the forum you will find some great post by Cookderosa about online science courses available from Ocean County College. Personnally I would suggest at least one in person Lab course at a local CC. I did my Chemistry and Organic Chemistry at my local CC.

If she does decide on science send me an E-mail at Lindager@hotmail.com (put TESC in subject) and I will send you a copy of my adademic eval. so you can use it for ideas.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Geezer & Lindagerr,

Thanks so much for your feedback and vote of confidence that we can construct her degree plan on our own.

Natural Science & Math is really her leaning over the Liberal Arts, anyway, so it is good to hear that others are accomplishing this.

Lindagerr, I'll email you. Thanks for your offer to share your plan!

One last question: I saw that someone asked this once before and didn't get any feedback, but does TESC allow degree minors? I assume not since I cannot find that they do in TESC's information online.

Thanks again!
bulletsoul Wrote:One last question: I saw that someone asked this once before and didn't get any feedback, but does TESC allow degree minors? I assume not since I cannot find that they do in TESC's information online.

Thanks again!
I don't think TESC has minors, but they can always elect to get a second degree ("double major"). Minors at most schools are usually 15cr, with a second degree being 30-45cr depending on the major. Realistically, your younger daughter could decide to major in Natural Sci/Math and go for Liberal Arts as well.

My personal opinion is that liberal arts as a major is too general and based on people's degree plans, it seems that most people lean towards one subject (be it history, art, social sciences). That is just my opinion though, so take it with a grain of salt! She also has the option to change majors if she finds she really enjoys a certain subject. =)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,205 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,859 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,345 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,675 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,871 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,778 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,011 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,965 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,326 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,687 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero