Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Help with Deciding on an Online Accounting Masters Program
chiqui163 Wrote:dfrecore, do you have any suggestion on what rankings I should search. I do see all 3 schools in different online rankings for online Acconting programs.

Not a clue - I'm not much into rankings, because I'm more of a believer in going where you can afford rather than what a school is ranked. But I'm sure I'm not the norm. Your best bet is to talk to accountants to see what's important. There are also a few on this forum who may have some knowledge.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Of the 3, I'd choose UConn without question. $25k/yr isn't that bad and you'll get a degree from a state flagship with 100% name recognition.
CPA (WA), CFA Level III Candidate

Currently pursuing: ALM, Data Science - Harvard University, Cambridge, MA (12/48, on hold for CFA/life commitments)
MBA, Finance/Accounting - Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2015
BSBA, General Management - Thomas Edison State College, Trenton, NJ, 2012

Yanji Wrote:Of the 3, I'd choose UConn without question. $25k/yr isn't that bad and you'll get a degree from a state flagship with 100% name recognition.

Thanks Yanji. That is what I was thinking too. The only thing is that it is not in my home state. I'm in New Jersey. Not terribly far from Connecticut. Do you have an idea how a degree from another state would be viewed by local employers? Rider University is in my state but it's more expensive. I'm wondering if a school like Uconn would have local connections in NJ as far as job prospects or if schools only have connections in their home state.
chiqui163 Wrote:Thanks Yanji. That is what I was thinking too. The only thing is that it is not in my home state. I'm in New Jersey. Not terribly far from Connecticut. Do you have an idea how a degree from another state would be viewed by local employers? Rider University is in my state but it's more expensive. I'm wondering if a school like Uconn would have local connections in NJ as far as job prospects or if schools only have connections in their home state.
UConn could probably connect you to a current student/alumnus in NJ who could give you his/her opinion, but in my experience with graduate business programs, their networks and connections tend to be regional, if not national, except for the smallest schools. CT is practically next door to NJ, so I'd imagine that they'd have a good network there. If it was UConn vs Rutgers, I'd go with Rutgers, but Rider is a pretty small school and I think UConn's network would at least be competitive to theirs in NJ.

Currently pursuing: ALM, Data Science - Harvard University, Cambridge, MA (12/48, on hold for CFA/life commitments)

Yanji Wrote:UConn could probably connect you to a current student/alumnus in NJ who could give you his/her opinion, but in my experience with graduate business programs, their networks and connections tend to be regional, if not national, except for the smallest schools. CT is practically next door to NJ, so I'd imagine that they'd have a good network there. If it was UConn vs Rutgers, I'd go with Rutgers, but Rider is a pretty small school and I think UConn's network would at least be competitive to theirs in NJ.

It's a coincidence that you say that. I was looking up Rutgers on the AACSB accreditation website and they are listed as accredited for their Business program in general, but not their Accounting program. That is a little surprising to me. I know that Rutgers has a very good reputation though. The other 3 schools, UConn, Rider University, and Stetson University all have dual accreditation for their Business and Accounting programs. That probably doesn't mean much, but I found that a little surprising.
Yanji, I could of swore there was another post from you that I read yesterday. You must have taken it down. I want to thank you for clearing up the MSA and MBA in Accounting issue. I will most likely get the MSA in Accounting (or MACC) then try to pass the CPA exam. Just a quick question, what do you think would be the best route to pursue after the MSA and CPA if I am interested in Corporate Accounting (I'd prefer to work for one company) in order to have good educational credentials for a position like assistant controller, controller, and CFO?
One thing, you can't actually become a CPA unless you work in public accounting. I would plan on putting in some time as a CPA especially if you can get in at a big firm. My wife is a CPA and she always tells me that if you don't work for a large firm you just don't get the training and breadth of experience to be a well rounded senior accountant. You also end up meeting people in lots of different companies.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
chiqui163 Wrote:Yanji, I could of swore there was another post from you that I read yesterday. You must have taken it down. I want to thank you for clearing up the MSA and MBA in Accounting issue. I will most likely get the MSA in Accounting (or MACC) then try to pass the CPA exam. Just a quick question, what do you think would be the best route to pursue after the MSA and CPA if I am interested in Corporate Accounting (I'd prefer to work for one company) in order to have good educational credentials for a position like assistant controller, controller, and CFO?
I think that post was in another thread. The MSA won't mean much after you get the CPA other than maybe for networking purposes. I think getting an MBA in finance or management is probably the best way to get into senior management in accounting/finance. I know it's sort of clichà advice these days, but at the controller level you're probably going to be competing with a lot of MBAs and you might as well join the club just so that you don't fall behind. If CFO is your ultimate goal, an MBA could help you get a stint in FP&A, Treasury, or consulting to give you some breadth of experience.
davewill Wrote:One thing, you can't actually become a CPA unless you work in public accounting. I would plan on putting in some time as a CPA especially if you can get in at a big firm. My wife is a CPA and she always tells me that if you don't work for a large firm you just don't get the training and breadth of experience to be a well rounded senior accountant. You also end up meeting people in lots of different companies.
This depends on the state. Some states require experience in public accounting, others simply require experience supervised by a CPA and others only require experience signed off by a CPA. Of course, working in public accounting is good experience regardless.

davewill Wrote:I would plan on putting in some time as a CPA especially if you can get in at a big firm. You also end up meeting people in lots of different companies.

I agree with this. I worked in accounting and knew lots of new CPA's my age (early 20's) who had just graduated and went to work for one of the Big 6 (at that time). Every single one of them eventually went to work for a company that they had audited for several years, and were wooed away with very nice compensation packages. Not exaggerating when I say every single one of them.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
DBRENNAN118 Wrote:I'm interested how you do with the application/acceptance process, due to the testing out of many classes. I am in a similar position, but look to go the MBA route. No one has really come back to this forum and told us if/how they were accepted by a top AACSB school with a TESU bachelors via testing out. Please keep us posted.

I have posted on this already, accepted to and attending American University Kogod School of Business. TESC BSBA, 2014
Also, there have been others to post, Yanji above attended Indiana University, a top 50 program.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 300 Yesterday, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  Czech 100% online MBA and DBA for 3k/5k David1477 7 308 03-25-2024, 08:34 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 3 273 03-23-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Wnt2BLPC
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 494 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 266 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  A very big thank you to this group. I have completed my Masters in IT from PUG NewatTESU 31 4,098 03-14-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 23 14,321 03-03-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 2,974 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean
  Master's in Security Management CBE Online Jeff7 8 496 02-27-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  ENEB MASTERS Accreditation, Questions Sara143 10 1,627 02-20-2024, 02:33 PM