Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help finding a graduate program that will take really old TV Production Credits
Your Location: Los Angeles, CA
Your Age: 39
What kind of degree do you want?: Master's Degree in whatever will take these credits
Current Regional Accredited Credits:

Boston University College of Communication (2005/2006):
Course    Title                                   Number of Credits Grade

COM FT573  BUTV                                                                                   2    P

COM FT701  Telecommunication Industry                                                   4    C+

COM FT707  Video Production I                                                                 4    A-

COM FT727  Producing I                                                                           4    B+

COM FT728  Interactive/Broadband TV                                                       4    B+

COM FT504  Video Post Production                                                             4   B-

COM FT712  TV Seminar                                                                           4    A-

COM FT716  Video Production II                                                                4    A

COM FT552E Creative Life in Television                                                       4    B+

COM FT566E International Course - The Business of Hollywood                   
                                                                                                              4     A-

COM FT566E International Course – Careers in Hollywood for Film and Television 
                                                                                                               4    A

COM FT825  Thesis Project                                                                         4    I

COM FT953E Internship I                                                                            2   B+
COM FT954E Internship II                                            2   B+

I have a master's degree in Accountancy from California State University, Los Angeles (2012/2013):

Course    Title                                              Number of Credits Grade

ACCT 521A  Tax of Corporations & Partnerships                                                            4 B
ACCT 524A  Accounting Information Systems                                                               4 A
ACCT 523   Seminar: Public Accounting                                                                       4 A
ACCT 526   Seminar: Financial Accounting Theory                                                        4 A
ACCT 595   Case Studies in Accounting                                                                       4 A-
ACCT 524B  Auditing                                                                                                 4 A-
ACCT 554   Special Topics in Accounting: Leadership & Professional Skills                       4 A
ACCT 586   Seminar: Tax Research and Practice                                                          4 B+
BUS 597    Graduate Research                                                                                   4 A
ACCT 527   Governmental & Institutional Accounting                                                   4 B-
ACCT 535   Forensic Accounting                                                                                4 A
CIS 504    Management Information Systems                                                              4 A

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits:
I should be done with Google IT Support Certificate by the end of this week

Any certifications or military experience?

Certified Public Accountant
Enrolled Agent

Budget: Ideally $5k, but I'll have to be flexible.
Commitments: Full time job and two small kids
Dedicated Time to study: 10 hours a week (conservative estimate)
Timeline: It would be nice to do it in less than six months
Tuition Assistance: None. I do not want to take out any more loans. My job does not provide tuition assistance. 

I moved to Los Angeles when I started the internship program through BU. I never finished my thesis. 
I can't go back to Boston University because the credits expired after seven years. 
I don't know if there is a hybrid media/business degree out there that isn't an MBA.
If there are any ways to test out of classes, I am down for it. 
I don't want it to be completely paper assignments. 

I don't actually know if there is a program put there that would take so many transfer credits. I'm still paying off the student loans and I kind of feel like it was a waste to not have the completed piece of paper.

Thank you for your help!

Apologies for the crazy formatting.
From what I've seen, it appears that most schools will not grant transfer credits for courses that applied to a conferred degree. Some will not take transfer credits that were earned prior to the conferral of the last degree regardless of whether they were used for the last degree. Since this subject has a technology component, your courses are likely out of date, which means there's a greater chance that graduate schools will have an age limit for them.

I can't think of anything that fits your criteria: non-MBA, accepts a lot of graduate transfer credits, accepts very old credits, has a program where TV production credits can fit, under $5k, and less than 6 months.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Unfortunately, there isn't really a degree that would accept this many credits. I think Amberton's Professional Development is the most likely, potentially accepting 12 credits: https://www.amberton.edu/programs-and-co...tails.html I'm not sure they'd accept those credits for this degree, though. (I think so, because Communication is listed as a valid subject.) And it would cost $7k-8k, depending on textbooks required. https://www.amberton.edu/choosing-ambert...index.html

Since you already have a Master's degree, why not look to getting a Doctorate instead? Some of them require more grad credits than you get with a standard Master's degree, so your credits wouldn't go to waste! It would cost a bit more than $5k, though it would probably have more value than a random generic Master's degree would.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(08-18-2022, 02:48 PM)sanantone Wrote: From what I've seen, it appears that most schools will not grant transfer credits for courses that applied to a conferred degree. Some will not take transfer credits that were earned prior to the conferral of the last degree regardless of whether they were used for the last degree. Since this subject has a technology component, your courses are likely out of date, which means there's a greater chance that graduate schools will have an age limit for them.

I can't think of anything that fits your criteria: non-MBA, accepts a lot of graduate transfer credits, accepts very old credits, has a program where TV production credits can fit, under $5k, and less than 6 months.
Yeah I might need to be more flexible about the price. I guess the ideal situation would be $5k. I'll edit the post to reflect that.
Most programs will also only accept a B or higher toward the degree. With that said, I don't know of any programs accepting credits that old (transfer or not).
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
Duplicate (see below)
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(08-18-2022, 02:52 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Unfortunately, there isn't really a degree that would accept this many credits. I think Amberton's Professional Development is the most likely, potentially accepting 12 credits: https://www.amberton.edu/programs-and-co...tails.html I'm not sure they'd accept those credits for this degree, though. (I think so, because Communication is listed as a valid subject.) And it would cost $7k-8k, depending on textbooks required. https://www.amberton.edu/choosing-ambert...index.html

Since you already have a Master's degree, why not look to getting a Doctorate instead? Some of them require more grad credits than you get with a standard Master's degree, so your credits wouldn't go to waste! It would cost a bit more than $5k, though it would probably have more value than a random generic Master's degree would.

Amberton only accepts 3 credit courses so these wouldn't be accepted. They're also pretty old so that may be an issue for any school. I can't think of any school that would accept this number of transfer credits especially this old and in this subject. The OP wants test for grad school instead of papers and that just doesn't exist.
(08-18-2022, 02:52 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Unfortunately, there isn't really a degree that would accept this many credits. I think Amberton's Professional Development is the most likely, potentially accepting 12 credits: https://www.amberton.edu/programs-and-co...tails.html I'm not sure they'd accept those credits for this degree, though. (I think so, because Communication is listed as a valid subject.) And it would cost $7k-8k, depending on textbooks required. https://www.amberton.edu/choosing-ambert...index.html

Amberton will only accept 3 credit courses for transfer (capping at 12 credits/4 courses).  All the course listed by the OP are 2 or 4 credit courses.

Amberton will only accept 3 credit courses for transfer (capping at 12 credits/4 courses).  All the course listed by the OP are 2 or 4 credit courses.

I know it is tough to leave credits not applied to a degree, but since you already have a master's degree the money would best be used to pay off the student loan debt rather than getting another (and most likely) generic degree.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Just curious what BU said, was it firm, short and simple such as - You're out 7 years, you can't get back in, ever.  You're just the "Thesis Project" away from the Masters at BU correct?  I would ask again and go up the chain to see what can be done, if you can do anything else to "make up for 7 years" such as taking an extra bridging course to keep "current" or something along those lines.

If all else fails and you haven't found a solution to your situation, you can always add the ENEB Masters Communication, raycathode did that program, you can search for his thread to get more details.  If you're feeling like getting a double ENEB MBA/Masters, that would be another option as these are self paced.  Review the wiki on my signature, I did 3 of them in about 7.5 months...

Here's the main thread and also the post to the pricing for either one or both programs: ENEB Master Thread
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(08-18-2022, 04:19 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Just curious what BU said, was it firm, short and simple such as - You're out 7 years, you can't get back in, ever.  You're just the "Thesis Project" away from the Masters at BU correct?  I would ask again and go up the chain to see what can be done, if you can do anything else to "make up for 7 years" such as taking an extra bridging course to keep "current" or something along those lines.

If all else fails and you haven't found a solution to your situation, you can always add the ENEB Masters Communication, raycathode did that program, you can search for his thread to get more details.  If you're feeling like getting a double ENEB MBA/Masters, that would be another option as these are self paced.  Review the wiki on my signature, I did 3 of them in about 7.5 months...

Here's the main thread and also the post to the pricing for either one or both programs: ENEB Master Thread
You know, I didn't even think about reaching out. I don't even think that Dean is there anymore. I'll give it a shot.  Thanks.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graduate TAMUC>UMPI graduatemore 7 514 03-21-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Metropolia for quick bachelor's degree to get in a master's program klicer 5 288 03-21-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: klicer
  UMPI BABA Project Management with Zero Starting Credits ChickenEnjoyer 37 1,933 03-18-2024, 03:54 AM
  Racking up Sophia Credits - What's Next? Ljanelle 5 289 03-17-2024, 02:11 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  UMPI BABA Management & Leadership Degree Plan, potentially transferring ~50 Credits chrsghs 17 786 03-14-2024, 06:05 PM
  I finished my degree but still need 26 credits to graduate??? jesssem 8 569 02-26-2024, 12:04 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Good amount of credits, what to do next? khon 2 333 01-23-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: Ghostwill
  Need Help On How To Get Credit for ACE/NCCRS Credits eyrobinson 4 394 01-19-2024, 01:36 PM
Last Post: eyrobinson
  Associate degree in CJ: easiest path with no prior credits? CM1999 2 238 01-11-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  A lot of credits trying to get a quick degree! Aehsahs 3 564 01-04-2024, 05:31 PM