Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help picking a degree for YourPace.
Hi, European international student here and i wanna get a degree with UMPI's YourPace program. Ultimately i'd like to use the degree so i can show it to immigration, because i want to move to a country outside of Europe and immigration services & employers obviously wanna see a degree. My only real "passion" i've had is law enforcement, so the obvious choice would be criminal justice, but as my plan is to move overseas, i obviously can't just join the police force or anything related to it over there, because i, at the minimum, would have to gain citizenship after 5 years of living there.

So yeah, my question really is, my personal interests aside, what in people's experience is the most "useful" degree on YourPace for someone just hoping to get a decent paying job in the future, potentially in another country? I'm motivated and willing to learn, so that's not a problem. Who knows it could spark a new passion in me. Already working on getting the general ed's done with Sophia.
@SLHos, Welcome to the board, that's a good introduction post with some info, but it's missing the more important details from both the addendum and template, without that, we don't have an overall picture of your scenario. Each person has different interests and work at different paces, the Your Pace program is geared for adults or professionals who have some experience in a field and want a degree that interest them. The cheap, easy, fast option would be in subjects that interest you, you decide, but the best at the moment would be the BABA with a concentration as it's a Business Administration degree, I favor that over a BLS which is Liberal Studies. Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
@bjcheung77 Thanks for replying, i'll fill out the form below, sorry about that.

Your Location: The Netherlands --> Looking to move to Japan (i mentioned the degree is only to get through immigration, but it's also to help me find a job here in my home country before i attempt to find a job there and move)
Your Age: 22
What kind of degree do you want?: Open for suggestions. I'm not really sure what i want.
Current Regional Accredited Credits: /

DegreeForum University Total Credits: /

Google University Total Credits: /

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits: These are things like Study, Sophia, InstantCert InstantCredit, CLEP, Straighterline, Davar etc

Sophia Credits: Currently working on completing the general education requirements by following the wiki, so this number will change as i continue. Same goes for Study.com. I've got nothing else except for some general education subjects.
Study.com Credits:

Currently working as a security guard for concerts & other events, and i might be adding a 2nd part time job in healthcare to it soon.

-

Budget: I can pay as much as need be. I'm in a lucky position where i currently do not pay any rent, housing, etc and i can spend all my money on my self.
Commitments: Currently just one part time job as mentioned above. Really flexible, i pick when i work myself.
Dedicated time to study: I stay awake for quite long, and have lots of time. I could theoretically seen spend my entire night on it
Timeline: I'd like to finish as quick as possible.
Tuition assistance/reimbursement: /
(01-17-2024, 08:19 PM)SLHos Wrote: @bjcheung77 Thanks for replying, i'll fill out the form below, sorry about that.

Your Location: The Netherlands --> Looking to move to Japan (i mentioned the degree is only to get through immigration, but it's also to help me find a job here in my home country before i attempt to find a job there and move)
Your Age: 22
What kind of degree do you want?: Open for suggestions. I'm not really sure what i want.
Current Regional Accredited Credits: /

DegreeForum University Total Credits: /

Google University Total Credits: /

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits: These are things like Study, Sophia, InstantCert InstantCredit, CLEP, Straighterline, Davar etc

Sophia Credits: Currently working on completing the general education requirements by following the wiki, so this number will change as i continue. Same goes for Study.com. I've got nothing else except for some general education subjects.
Study.com Credits:

Currently working as a security guard for concerts & other events, and i might be adding a 2nd part time job in healthcare to it soon.

-

Budget: I can pay as much as need be. I'm in a lucky position where i currently do not pay any rent, housing, etc and i can spend all my money on my self.
Commitments: Currently just one part time job as mentioned above. Really flexible, i pick when i work myself.
Dedicated time to study: I stay awake for quite long, and have lots of time. I could theoretically seen spend my entire night on it
Timeline: I'd like to finish as quick as possible.
Tuition assistance/reimbursement: /
As someone who lived in Japan for a temporary assignment, please reconsider living there long term. I also hope you are fluent in Japanese. Even those who are fluent find themselves isolated in Japan's insular and sometimes xenophobic culture. Work culture is another mountain of an issue littered with nuances that are hard to discern. Being a permanent "other" got old after a while.

If you aren't fluent in Japanese (even with fluency, it's hard) , no company in Japan is going to sponsor a work visa unless you have a VERY specific set of skills, which are not likely found after getting a 2-month degree at UMPI and being 22 years old.

Good luck, it's not like an anime (met many awkward "English" teachers there who thought it would be one).
[-] The following 2 users Like Duneranger's post:
  • kai1120, ss20ts
Focus on the degree, immigration should be after you've spent a few months (at least 6 months) in countries you want to reside in. Some people want to leave a country after a few months, I recall a couple members (hubby/wife) who lived in Japan for at least a year or two, they decided to come back to the US as they're from the Pacific North West (Seattle area).
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • kai1120
(01-18-2024, 02:32 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Focus on the degree, immigration should be after you've spent a few months (at least 6 months) in countries you want to reside in.  Some people want to leave a country after a few months, I recall a couple members (hubby/wife) who lived in Japan for at least a year or two, they decided to come back to the US as they're from the Pacific North West (Seattle area).

I am from Seattle too!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI Degree Completion Help SantaMaria 15 1,422 4 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  28 years later, I have my degree! Junco 16 1,227 05-10-2024, 07:08 PM
  Does UMPI YourPace accept Credly Transcripts? SophiaPrincess 5 272 05-09-2024, 06:24 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  UMPI Degree — transfer + planning advice! jammy 3 201 05-07-2024, 04:09 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Degree Planning Help (Template Complete) cstoops17 6 224 05-06-2024, 05:54 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  2024 Summer Sessions -- What is YOURPace? ashkir 8 592 05-03-2024, 08:21 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  UMPI YourPace BLS w/ Management Minor Reference Plan valentvne 8 626 04-29-2024, 10:22 AM
  Undergraduate Degree Liberal Studies w/ a Minor in Psychology molov 4 289 04-21-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  minimum age for UMPI students YourPace EducationSeeker 6 381 04-20-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: EducationSeeker
  need advice on YourPace BBA Project Mgmt and Info Systems EducationSeeker 4 262 04-19-2024, 06:22 PM