Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help with ASNSM Math AOS options for TESU
Need help with ASNSM Math degree plan from TESU for my younger brother. The degree plan shows that he will need 16 credits of Math 200L & up. He currently has:
Calculus - 6 cr (Study.com)
Geometry - 3 cr (Study.com)
Statistics - 3 cr (Aleks)
This leaves 4 credits to find somewhere. Straighterline has Calculus II, but does anyone know if it duplicates the Study.com 6 credit course? If this course would work for him, that leaves a whopping 1 cr to find. Any suggestions?
Completed: 
TESU BA Social Sciences, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited)
WGU MBA in Healthcare Management (ACBSP Accredited)
In Progress: Creighton University PharmD

Has an evaluation been done? If 6 credits are given for the Study.com course, then the credits are likely for Calculus I and II. If edX ever offers its differential equations courses again, then those will work.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I wonder if advising would approve Saylor Business Statistics (OPM-351) in the concentration? Never hurts to ask...

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
Shmoop has Finite Math & Geometry, Geometry is UL (per ACE) there so it might be a different course number than Study.com (which is LL MAT-260).

I would check with TESU to see how those come in (and let us know what they say!).

SecularCourses.com (Coopersmith) also has College Geometry (UL) that's supposed to come in as MAT-361.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Take Calc 1 and maybe Calc 2 from SL instead of study.com and put it on the ACE transcript as an ACP course rather than SL course. ACP is recommended as 4 credits instead of 3. You can take the CLEP Calc exam and that will give you 4 credits. Finite math is 100 level so it won't count. Geometry should be 200 level or higher, but they could downgrade it to 100 level at any time so get all of this preapproved. I don't think Boston University will ever offer the edX diff eq courses again. You can't take calc 1 and calc 2 from two different sources and expect it to count twice.

You may have to take a math course from community college or online via APU. Discrete math, calc 3, calc 4, and linear algebra would be the easiest choices.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
sanantone Wrote:Has an evaluation been done? If 6 credits are given for the Study.com course, then the credits are likely for Calculus I and II. If edX ever offers its differential equations courses again, then those will work.

No, he has not applied to TESU yet. But Study.com's equivalency chart shows: MAT-231 : Calculus I 6 cr
Completed: 
TESU BA Social Sciences, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited)
WGU MBA in Healthcare Management (ACBSP Accredited)
In Progress: Creighton University PharmD

Flying-Ace Wrote:No, he has not applied to TESU yet. But Study.com's equivalency chart shows: MAT-231 : Calculus I 6 cr

Wow. Let's see what happens with this and get it preapproved by TESU. Then take Calc 2 at SL (and ACE credit via ACP for 4 CR - never ever send the free SL transcript, only send the ACE transcript even though it costs money) and you'll end up with Calc 1 + Calc 2 yielding 10 credits. And I thought I made out like a bandit by getting 8 credits for SL Calc 1 and Calc 2 via ACP.
Dumb question, but is the calculus final for I and II at SL multiple choice or numerically-answered?
We are all on the same side here, trying to better our lives....so let's get along and help each other out. 

Learn a trade. Gain technical skills. Make money, then use this money to get a degree...if you have the desire. 

Flying-Ace Wrote:No, he has not applied to TESU yet. But Study.com's equivalency chart shows: MAT-231 : Calculus I 6 cr

They may not have in written correctly, or be limited to putting in a single course as an equivalency. I would be willing to bet that you'll get 3cr for Calc I and 3cr for Calc II.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
From the topic list on the study.com course, I would lean towards it being a super sized version of calc 1 rather than a mini version of both calc 1 and calc 2. I think the posted equivalency is probably not a mistake, but get it approved by TESU beforehand for 6 credits of calc 1. Since you need to be enrolled to get advising services, the TECEP for Applied Liberal Arts Math can be passed without any studying for someone who is prepared for Calc 1.

The SL calc exams are multiple choice, which is just dreadful for a math class since you'll get over 25% of the points on material you don't know. This means you should shave off all the points earned with random guessing to estimate your actual mastery of the material. If you barely pass, you may find the more advanced math courses to be extremely difficult.

If you don't know the answer to a question, you have a 25% chance of getting it right anyway. There are a few true/false as well, which will boost your guessing chances to 50%. On top of that, it is open book via SL site, open notes, and open graphical calculator.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 12 653 3 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Credit Transfer Evaluation colonelcamp 7 156 3 hours ago
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 20 2,573 04-23-2024, 02:44 PM
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 620 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 546 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 279 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,329 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 254 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 409 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  ASNSM in Computer Science and TEEX Cybersecurity? Shorn27 2 438 03-18-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: rachel83az