Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need some academic advice ~ TESC ~
I'm really struggling with making a decision on a degree to pursue. I know this is a strange place to post this but I have talked with current students, my past professors, family and friends, internet searches into the long hours of the night..... and still am not sure which degree to pursue. My background is associate of science degree in medical field (ultrasound). But I really want a change. This particular job is very strenuous especially after many years of scanning and the fact that Americans are getting bigger and bigger and its my shoulder and arm that absorbs the pain of this.

My main question is.... with this economy which bachelors degree do you think is most valuable from TESC at this time? I have always been interested in business, numbers, paperwork, organizational type work. I had temporarily decided on Accounting but I'm still not 100% sure. AND WITH THE CHANGES at TESC coming up..I need to make a decision soon to enroll.... The change has really put a cramp on me since I thought I had more time to figure it out. I look at the lists of degrees on the website but I'm not sure what kind of jobs you get with those particular degrees.

Any advice or websites you could recommend would be greatly appreciated! The clock is ticking!
Started Dec 2012 ~ BSBA Human Resource and Org Management TESC

YAY!!!! OCT 24th = DONE!!!!!!

Straighterline Courses: American History I 83%, American History II 79% Accounting I 81%, Accounting II 83%, Macro 77 %, Micro 84%,World Religions 83%, Business Law 74%, Business Ethics 78%, Organizational Behavior 78%, Intro to business 85%, Business Communications 86%
Clep: Principles of management 64, Intro to marketing 53,
DSST: Bus in Society 442 / Principles of Supervison 453 / Money and Banking 55
Penn Foster: HR management 96%, Compensation Management 88%, Emp Benefits 89%, training concepts 96%, Strategic Management 90%, Principles of Finance 82%
ALEKS: Intro To Statistics 72%, Pre-Calc 70%
TESC : Org Theory DONE~ 89%
TEEX Cybersecurity for everyone ~ Business Elective ~ 85%
Can219 Wrote:I'm really struggling with making a decision on a degree to pursue. I know this is a strange place to post this but I have talked with current students, my past professors, family and friends, internet searches into the long hours of the night..... and still am not sure which degree to pursue. My background is associate of science degree in medical field (ultrasound). But I really want a change. This particular job is very strenuous especially after many years of scanning and the fact that Americans are getting bigger and bigger and its my shoulder and arm that absorbs the pain of this.

My main question is.... with this economy which bachelors degree do you think is most valuable from TESC at this time? I have always been interested in business, numbers, paperwork, organizational type work. I had temporarily decided on Accounting but I'm still not 100% sure. AND WITH THE CHANGES at TESC coming up..I need to make a decision soon to enroll.... The change has really put a cramp on me since I thought I had more time to figure it out. I look at the lists of degrees on the website but I'm not sure what kind of jobs you get with those particular degrees.

Any advice or websites you could recommend would be greatly appreciated! The clock is ticking!

Grab What Color is Your Parachute from your local library- excellent. Also, don't let "analysis paralysis" set in. Meaning, you might be over-thinking it. Sometimes, when you think too hard, you over-look the obvious best decision. Is your siggy right? Are you 84/122 of the way through the accounting track? If so, why stop now? Finally, I don't know a lot about it, but Health Care Information Technology is booming- that might be a good bridge between your background and where you'd like to go.
Yes the 84/122 is correct but majority of this is from my associate degree that transferred in. Thanks so much for the book recommendation. I will try to find it. Health care information technology.....let me go look that up! It would be a good bridge..... Thanks for your input Cookderosa!

Straighterline Courses: American History I 83%, American History II 79% Accounting I 81%, Accounting II 83%, Macro 77 %, Micro 84%,World Religions 83%, Business Law 74%, Business Ethics 78%, Organizational Behavior 78%, Intro to business 85%, Business Communications 86%
Penn Foster: HR management 96%, Compensation Management 88%, Emp Benefits 89%, training concepts 96%, Strategic Management 90%, Principles of Finance 82%
Oh I remember now... I did look up healthcare information technology before but the pay wasn't that great. Sad

You're very much like how I was and am as far as pursuing the accounting degree. In the beginning, I had NO clue what kind of degree I wanted. The reason I chose Accounting is the same reason that brings me back when my mind wants to ask if it was really worth it. It's versatile. Having an Accounting degree opens up sooo many doors and is a strong foundation. You can work in business, you can start a business, you can do taxes, audit, you can go into financial venues like an adviser, you can work with forensic accounting, you can also always teach, etc. etc. etc. What's best, is behind all of these doors, there's ladders you can climb and continue to go higher and improve. Not to mention, people and organizations are always in need of an accountant. Being interested in business, numbers, paperwork, organizational type work, there's many different facets of accounting/financial related jobs that you'd be able to acquire and thrive in.
Not that there aren't other good degrees out there, there are, you can't go "wrong" with accounting. And if you put it in that perspective, the only place to go is up and forward. Big Grin

That's my 2 cents. (: Best of luck on making a decision... I know it can be difficult.
Can219 Wrote:I'm really struggling with making a decision on a degree to pursue. I know this is a strange place to post this but I have talked with current students, my past professors, family and friends, internet searches into the long hours of the night..... and still am not sure which degree to pursue. My background is associate of science degree in medical field (ultrasound). But I really want a change. This particular job is very strenuous especially after many years of scanning and the fact that Americans are getting bigger and bigger and its my shoulder and arm that absorbs the pain of this.

Does your degree HAVE to be from TESC? Charter Oak just recently launched a Health Information Management degree.

You'll also find that Charter Oak is much cheaper than TESC.

Good luck!!
I third the suggestion that finishing the Accounting degree is not a horrible path. Accounting degrees, like Business, are extremely flexible and allow you to work in virtually any field. Every business deals with and handles numbers, and every employer needs someone that knows how to "read" them, and generate reliable reports. Virtually every management position posting I've seen includes a Bachelor in Accounting as one of the acceptable degree qualifiers, regardless of the field. And because virtually any field is open to you, the pay scale is wide open as well.
BSBA, HR / Organizational Mgmt - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
- TESC Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration
- Arnold Fletcher Award

AAS, Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
AS, Business Administration - Thomas Edison State College, March 2012
Thanks Mrs. B and Publius. I think all those reasons you mentioned are why I chose Accounting in the first place. Mainly for the the flexibility and opportunity no matter where we decide to settle down. I guess I'm afraid of getting half way through and deciding it's not for me and then switching programs which will mess me up with the new gen reqs. I'm taking some straighterline classes now so I will get into the accounting classes soon.... But unfortunatley not soon enough to make a "decison". Thanks again for your feedback.

Honestly, nothing is a sure bet anymore. If you want to have some sort of leverage in the job market, avoid the soft majors like English and Psychology. A business degree or computer science degree is best to choose...if you dont know exactly what you want. From friends, I've heard accounting isn't as desirable anymore..and those that make their CPA are overworked and underpaid for their expertise.
Years ago an accounting professor told me that accounting had the highest mortality rate. "Eek!," I thought. "Folks commit suicide over this major." Of course, he meant that many started, but few finished. Loops77 may be right, but I wonder. I can't help but think that there will always be a need for accountants. Even when businesses go out of business, it's the accountants who are the last to leave the room, and turn out the lights.

Cookderosa, as usual, has made a valid point. Do no let analysis paralysis stop you from doing anything. Don't wait a lifetime hoping to meet Mr. Right, but be happy with Mr. Right Now. If it turns out that accounting isn't for you, it won't be the worst thing in the world. It's not unusual for a person to have more than one career in a lifetime.

Also, don't stress about the changes at TESC. While some of the information in the forum may no longer be relevant, lots of other opportunities may arise. Embrace it.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,939 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Intro + Degree advice, looking at TESU for multiple degrees, BSBA + BSAST coloradocale 14 4,116 08-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Last Post: coloradocale
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,590 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  TESU Degree plan - advice needed please Tripletmom 9 2,105 06-28-2018, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Tripletmom
  Help! Advice needed! TESU enrollment expiring. Lewis.Yim 15 4,370 05-18-2018, 09:22 AM
Last Post: sheptr
  Looking for advice about finishing my degree needdegree123 20 2,950 05-12-2018, 09:38 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Newbie seeking advice please AJ127 4 1,670 05-02-2018, 09:23 AM
Last Post: AJ127
  Canadian Looking for Degree Advice Dr. Canuck 14 3,044 04-19-2018, 07:01 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Advice on TESU degree plan Tripletmom 1 1,050 04-02-2018, 11:45 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  General question about TESU academic evaluation fork 3 1,289 03-24-2018, 05:43 PM
Last Post: Ideas