Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New ACE-Recommended Study.com Courses
topdog98 Wrote:One problem with the equivalency charts for COSC is that they will list equivalencies that may be misleading. For instance, Study.com BUS 107: Organization Behavior shows COSC MGT 315, but COSC does not actually give upper level credit for this course since it is not reviewed as such by ACE. So you do get credit for the course and it satisfies the OB requirement, but you will not get upper level credit. I really wish COSC would clarify this on their equivalency charts.

This makes me start to rethink my COSC plan, is this the same for TESU? The transfer page for TESU I was able to find (http://study.com/directory/school/Thomas_Edison_State_University.html) shows course like Business 106: Human Resource Management being given credit for TESU course # MAN-331: Human Resources Management, to give one example.

I thought study.com would be such a good one-stop option for many of my required BSBA UL options, but if the schools (COSC) are giving credit for UL equivalent courses at LL rates (per ACE) it is going to be difficult to figure out and keep track of what I have earned or need for UL requirements.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

allvia Wrote:This makes me start to rethink my COSC plan, is this the same for TESU? The transfer page for TESU I was able to find (http://study.com/directory/school/Thomas_Edison_State_University.html) shows course like Business 106: Human Resource Management being given credit for TESU course # MAN-331: Human Resources Management, to give one example.

I thought study.com would be such a good one-stop option for many of my required BSBA UL options, but if the schools (COSC) are giving credit for UL equivalent courses at LL rates (per ACE) it is going to be difficult to figure out and keep track of what I have earned or need for UL requirements.

COSC is still a good option for the BSBA. It has some advantages over TESU, such as the acceptance of FEMA credits. However, definitely one big advantage of TESU over COSC is that TESU will often give upper level credit for courses which are not really upper level. So it is harder to find upper level credits at COSC.

Both schools are both good options and easily doable for the BSBA. You will just have to weigh the pros and cons of each.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.
allvia Wrote:is this the same for TESU?

It's not the same for TESU. If it shows as coming in with a 300/400 course code, then they consider it UL regardless of what ACE evaluates it as.

As said above, COSC may have other advantages, so you just do what works best for you. TESU used to be considerably cheaper, but now COSC is almost as cheap.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Zachcleigh Wrote:I saw study.com as an excellent tool, but wasn't planning on using it. By the time I had found out about it I had already used clep for most of the things I needed.
Now that accounting 1&2 have been added... I think study.com will be getting my business over clep.

There is no CLEP for Managerial Accounting (Accounting II). So you would have to use something else for it anyway.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
jsd Wrote:It's not the same for TESU. If it shows as coming in with a 300/400 course code, then they consider it UL regardless of what ACE evaluates it as.

As said above, COSC may have other advantages, so you just do what works best for you. TESU used to be considerably cheaper, but now COSC is almost as cheap.

I think there are still some benefits over TESU's BSBA over COSC's besides price: 1) You can test out of the capstone (Strategic Management); 2) You only need 12cr of UL coursework in the AOS at TESU, vs. 30cr UL throughout the degree at COSC.

Those 2 things alone make it a no-brainer in my opinion, but it really depends on what courses you're bringing into the degree already.

For other degrees, the cost is very similar, and they both require a Capstone, so there's less of a difference (although COSC still requires more UL courses).
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
ndelcollo Wrote:l8989v, Can I ask you which History of Vietnam War you completed through study.com? I am currently doing the History 108 History of the Vietnam War but I also see on the TESU transfer chart that 308 Causes and Effects of the Vietnam War is accepted. Both are transferred in as HIS-351 A History of the Vietnam War. I assume you did the 108 because that's what your sig line says but they both transfer as that course name so I was just wondering. I am worried that one will be accepted and the other is a typo. Seems weird that a 108 and 308 course would both be transferred as the same.

I took the 108, before the 308 was even a course. They would indeed duplicate at TESU, so if you're smart, just take 108 because it has less videos. I think they give it the same equivalency because at TESU they only have one Vietnam course, so both of them will be that. But maybe someone can back me up in that.
Goal: BA/BS in Psychology

Credit Sources
Straighterline
Aleks
Study.com
Kaplan
I hope that ACE approved study.com to offer 3cr for their business comm course. What's the point of 1cr?
l8989v Wrote:I took the 108, before the 308 was even a course. They would indeed duplicate at TESU, so if you're smart, just take 108 because it has less videos. I think they give it the same equivalency because at TESU they only have one Vietnam course, so both of them will be that. But maybe someone can back me up in that.

No, TESU gave them the same course number because they thought that there was too much overlap to give them separate course numbers - although I don't think they actually checked very well to be quite honest. I think they're pretty lazy over there.

The 2 Civil War courses were given 2 different course numbers, so for whatever reason it was determined that they're different enough. Not sure why the Vietnam courses aren't different, nor are the 2 Org Behavior courses.

TESU doesn't only base course numbers on what they themselves offer - no college can really do that, since no college offers EVERY course available in the US. They just bring a course in, determine if it's a duplicate of what they already have (then they can use the current course number) or else determine a new course number in their system.
Does anybody know what the course equivalence for these new courses are going to be at TESU? Or does anybody know who exactly I can email to find out? Thanks in advance!
omnk522 Wrote:Does anybody know what the course equivalence for these new courses are going to be at TESU? Or does anybody know who exactly I can email to find out? Thanks in advance!

An earlier post in this thread says that it will be a few weeks. Study.com will post it on their website. Someone here will most likely post it when it happens.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com charged me another month without my consent Livia_Drusila 7 201 2 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,449 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 998 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 8 712 04-08-2024, 11:32 AM
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 40,517 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,639 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 469,425 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 765 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,919 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 374 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM