Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New COSC policy for ACE and NCCRS providers
They may as well shut the doors. If you have to take 30 residency credits, it completely defeats the whole mission of that college. I'm extremely disappointed by this.
(05-09-2020, 07:48 PM)raycathode Wrote: They may as well shut the doors. If you have to take 30 residency credits, it completely defeats the whole mission of that college. I'm extremely disappointed by this.

It isn't 30 residency credits. It just 30 credits have to be from an RA college any RA college not COSC. But since 6 at COSC is required you can take 24 credits somewhere else (cheaper) and transfer them in. So you can still transfer in 114 credits which makes COSC still one of only three schools that allow this.
So, what makes the Big 3 the Big 3 is the ability to transfer in 114 (113) credits from ACE/NCCRS, RA schools, etc. It is not WHERE the credits come from. COSC still meets this standard.

For someone that wants to do an entire degree through ACE, then you'd have to do TESU or EC. But for someone who has credits already, COSC will be easy enough to continue with.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 3 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • allvia, davewill, natshar
(05-09-2020, 07:53 PM)natshar Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 07:48 PM)raycathode Wrote: They may as well shut the doors. If you have to take 30 residency credits, it completely defeats the whole mission of that college. I'm extremely disappointed by this.

It isn't 30 residency credits. It just 30 credits have to be from an RA college any RA college not COSC. But since 6 at COSC is required you can take 24 credits somewhere else (cheaper) and transfer them in. So you can still transfer in 114 credits which makes COSC still one of only three schools that allow this.

I disagree. I feel this completely eliminates the purpose of this school. 

There are other schools that will accept 90 ACE credits and you can just do the final work there. I see no reason to do 90 ACE credits, then go get 24 credits elsewhere then transfer them to COSC.....You might as well just transfer them and finish the degree where you are getting the other 24 from.
[-] The following 1 user Likes All Seas's post:
  • schlocker
(05-09-2020, 08:29 PM)All Seas Wrote:

There are other schools that will accept 90 ACE credits and you can just do the final work there. I see no reason to do 90 ACE credits, then go get 24 credits elsewhere then transfer them to COSC.....You might as well just transfer them and finish the degree where you are getting the other 24 from.

First, you can disagree, but that doesn't make you right.  Second, I'm not sure where the "purpose of this school" is written, and how they've eliminated that.  Who gets to decide what the purpose is, you?  On this forum, the Big 3 all allow 95% transfer credits.  That's it.  There was never a rule about what kind of credits, except that ACE/NCCRS was accepted.

Regarding the 24cr of RA, your are assuming that the school you'd get the 24cr from will accept ACE, and many don't.  It also assumes that the 24cr is coming from a 4yr school that offers bachelor's degrees, which isn't the case at all.  My daughter is going to our local CC next fall, and it's completely free.  She could easily do 24cr (or more likely 60cr) for free, then do ACE (which our CC does not accept) and then transfer everything to COSC and be fine.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • natshar
(05-09-2020, 08:29 PM)All Seas Wrote:

I don't think it "completely eliminates the purpose of the school."  A lot of people on this forum have a bunch of college credits from years ago and then combine them with ACE credit to get a degree. Meaning if they already have the graded RA and so they could get their degree in less than a year from COSC which likely wouldn't be possible at other schools. If you already the RA credit done, then a bachelor for under 6k at COSC is still possible. COSC is meant to be a degree completion program and for that purpose, it still works. I don't think when Charter Oak (or any of the big 3) were founded they were meant for people to do the whole degree via ACE/NCCRS/tests without taking an actual class. There founded for adults with existing credits to finish their degree, the test out was just a loophole people discovered along the way.

Also, you could get the 24 RA from a cheap CC that doesn't offer a bachelor's degree. And if you used Pell grant or other aid those RA credits could be free (think NMJC or similar). You couldn't finish the 24 credits from the school because they don't offer a bachelor's degree. CCs are a cheap place for RA credit, and many people on this fourm come in with CC before they even find this place. But even so as I posted in another post if you did all 24 at NMJC and got no aid the cost of COSC bachelors would still about the same or less money than TESU. 

Yes some schools do accept 90 ACE outside the big 3, but not many. Even a lot of the schools on the big 3 partner page limit alt credit to 30 - 60. And if you go Brick and Morter most schools require 60 credits from a 4 year Uni (and 2 CC doesn't count) at least this what I personally saw from looking at a bunch of schools. And even if a school does accept 90 ACE they don't have near the articulation agreements and knowledge of how ACE works so it might not be as easy transfer. And unless you are going to a school focused on adult degree completion or major in liberal studies, likely the major will be filled with specific courses that will be hard to find with alt credit. I think the best school to transfer 90 alt credits to would be the University of Phoneix or some other school with a terrible reputation or super expensive. I don't know of any other RA Public Universities (outside the big 3 and WGU) that allow 90 credits alt credit. Maybe there are out there, but I just can't think of any.

I always thought what made the big 3 the big 3 was that you could transfer in almost all the credits used to be 120 now 114. At least that's what I've assumed since 2012 when I found out about this.

(05-09-2020, 08:23 PM)dfrecore Wrote: So, what makes the Big 3 the Big 3 is the ability to transfer in 114 (113) credits from ACE/NCCRS, RA schools, etc.  It is not WHERE the credits come from.  COSC still meets this standard.

For someone that wants to do an entire degree through ACE, then you'd have to do TESU or EC.  But for someone who has credits already, COSC will be easy enough to continue with.

Yes I 100% agree. The big 3 are still the big 3 not the big 2. Yes COSC is not as desirable for those starting from scratch but thats pretty much it. But it still remains as one of only 3 Universities that allow 114 transfer.
(05-09-2020, 08:50 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Regarding the 24cr of RA, your are assuming that the school you'd get the 24cr from will accept ACE, and many don't. 

If I was from the uh land of the free I would be taking advantage of the Instate tuition for all UMPI is offering......I believe someone else stated they took 90 ACE credits happily. Now personally I would rather pay a few extra grand to go the U of Maine than COSC.
(05-09-2020, 10:43 PM)ARhead Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 08:50 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Regarding the 24cr of RA, your are assuming that the school you'd get the 24cr from will accept ACE, and many don't. 

If I was from the uh land of the free I would be taking advantage of the Instate tuition for all UMPI is offering......Someone else stated they took 90 ACE credits happily. Now personally I would rather pay a few extra grand to go the U of Maine than COSC.

I don't think they accept 90 ACE. I think was like 30 or something. They accept 90 credits but I don't think it was 90 ACE.

EDIT: They only accept 30 ACE or alt credit. But accept unlimited transfer credit (meaning RA). That being said you still must do 30 at UMPI. I didn't link the thread of the UMPI website, but its there.
(05-09-2020, 10:47 PM)natshar Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 10:43 PM)ARhead Wrote:

If I was from the uh land of the free I would be taking advantage of the Instate tuition for all UMPI is offering......Someone else stated they took 90 ACE credits happily. Now personally I would rather pay a few extra grand to go the U of Maine than COSC.

I don't think they accept 90 ACE. I think was like 30 or something. They accept 90 credits but I don't think it was 90 ACE.
They accept 30 ACE and 60 credits from other University or college.  So you can combine Associate degree with ACE and finish with them 30 credits ending up with Bachelor from UMPI for small investment if you try to finish it in 1 or 2 terms. Which is great . Also they dont limit you to 30 credits. You can finish as much courses as you can in term. So you can even get 2 degrees in 1 term if you are capable to cover all requirements for related degrees. Its great option in current situation with COSC
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cofffeee's post:
  • ARhead
At least based on the wording on their site UMPI seemingly is not like these other institutions that may or may not take ACE based on which side of the bed they woke up on or whatever. They say they abide by ACE recommendation. So there's some headache gone.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC Credit Registry Won't Accept Credly siege101 16 3,028 02-24-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should COSC Lose Stand Alone Category Here? SophiaPrincess 23 2,890 01-21-2024, 07:12 PM
  Business and Managment BA COSC alt credit option ice.paint 6 792 11-24-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: withrown
  COSC New GE Requirements Emmalina 20 2,430 08-30-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC DEI requirements SkMama 11 1,112 08-20-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC requiremnt for lab course and new Sophia Labs Kab 14 1,353 06-29-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Accepting few SDC credits scottlefoll 54 6,833 06-22-2023, 07:42 PM
  Do you have to write a lot of papers at COSC? MichaelD 10 2,273 08-06-2022, 11:17 AM
  COSC Drops Liberal Studies Concentration Tedium 6 1,926 03-15-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC President and Provost on Accountability in Higher Education SteveFoerster 9 1,677 02-28-2022, 08:33 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso