Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Computer Science and Engineering Management PhDs at CapTech
Capitol Technology University has two new PhD programs: Engineering Management and Computer Science. As with their other doctoral programs, these are European-style doctorates that are dissertation-only. The credits are just broken down to fit the American system. You also have the option of publishing three articles in high-impact journals instead of completing a dissertation/thesis. 

Engineering Management (PhD) | Capitol Technology University | Capitol Technology University (captechu.edu)

Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Computer Science | Capitol Technology University (captechu.edu)

Something that I've noticed about CapTech is that they start a lot of experimental programs and appear to get rid of them when not enough students enroll, so you might want to hop on any program of interest as soon as possible. 
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 4 users Like sanantone's post:
  • Brody Turner, Ideas, jsd, lucillegyl
Not sure why you said they're dissertation only. They are 60 credits each. Each has 30 credits towards the dissertation or publications and 30 credits in courses in the core topic. You don't have to do a dissertation. You can submit 3 research articles to agreed upon journals.
(04-19-2022, 12:06 AM)ss20ts Wrote: Not sure why you said they're dissertation only. They are 60 credits each. Each has 30 credits towards the dissertation or publications and 30 credits in courses in the core topic. You don't have to do a dissertation. You can submit 3 research articles to agreed upon journals.

Because they are dissertation-only. You also have the option of publishing three research articles. However, there is no subject matter coursework. The entire program is dedicated to writing your dissertation or three publications. The program is broken down into 60 credits for accreditation and financial aid purposes because the U.S. higher education system is not designed around European-style doctorates. 

If you look at the curriculum and course descriptions for the programs, they're all the same. The core topic courses are not core topic courses. They're exploratory courses where students decide what they want to research.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(04-19-2022, 11:57 AM)sanantone Wrote: Because they are dissertation-only. You also have the option of publishing three research articles. However, there is no subject matter coursework. The entire program is dedicated to writing your dissertation or three publications. The program is broken down into 60 credits for accreditation and financial aid purposes because the U.S. higher education system is not designed around European-style doctorates. 

If you look at the curriculum and course descriptions for the programs, they're all the same. The core topic courses are not core topic courses. They're exploratory courses where students decide what they want to research.

No where does it say these are dissertation only. The courses don't all have the same description. It wouldn't make sense to have a 60 credit PhD program that's dissertation only. Yes, you'll be doing a great deal of research but it does not all look like it's for the dissertation.
Looking at the curriculum and course descriptions for the CompSci degree, seems pretty clear this is all just a continuous buildup of one's dissertation. It's structured and broken into courses, but it does indeed appear to be dissertation-only (or "European style").
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Doctor of Philosophy in Engineering Management
Strategies for Engineering Mgmt.
The student will undertake a robust and comprehensive analysis of the strategies for the growth and evolution of the Engineering Management field under the direction of their Chair/committee. A firm direction and draft of a methodology will be taking shape and direction. The topic will be reviewed to ensure the scope is not too broad. Prerequisite: EGM 820. (6)

Engineering Mgmt Future Demands
Under a Chair and committee, a student will further research the future demands in the Engineering Management field and how these influence specific research questions. Data collection and applications will be central to evaluating the needs of Engineering Management on the short, medium and long term. The literature review will be more specific in focus and direction at this stage. Prerequisite: EGM-810. (6)

Description definitely aren't the same.

The OP didn't post the Comp Sci degree.
The CompSci degree is the second link in the original post.

The first class you posted guides you through drafting your methodologies for your dissertation, and the second course builds out your dissertation literature review. Looks like what I said -- it's all just a continuous buildup of your dissertation.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • sanantone
(04-19-2022, 09:36 PM)jsd Wrote: The CompSci degree is the second link in the original post.

The first class you posted guides you through drafting your methodologies for your dissertation, and the second course builds out your dissertation literature review. Looks like what I said -- it's all just a continuous buildup of your dissertation.

I was looking at the first link. I see the CompSci doctorate is the bottom link. 

But it's not a ABD program. These are 6 credit classes. So there's way more happening here than just the dissertation.
All courses are courses that guide you through building your dissertation. This is exactly what a dissertation-only program would look like when you break it into credit bearing courses.

Btw, ABD means "all but dissertation," meaning a doctoral candidate who hasn't finished a dissertation.

Here's how the school describes their "European model" on the page for one of their aviation doctorates, which is split up into 10 6cr courses just like these two linked above are:

Quote:In this European-style doctoral program, there are no formal classes, assignments and -- most importantly for busy professionals -- no residencies. Your schedule is up to you and your committee. There is no rush to complete a dissertation. The program is divided into ten sections that mark your path to completion.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

[-] The following 3 users Like jsd's post:
  • carrythenothing, sanantone, ss20ts
I know from firsthand experience that these are dissertation-only programs. You can email the head of doctoral programs. No, these are not ABD programs, but most of them accept up to 42 transfer credits. ABD completion and dissertation-only are two different kinds of programs.

I am 1000% positive that these are European-style doctorates because I am in one of their programs. I literally took one of those "core topic" courses. All of the courses build up to the dissertation. There is no curriculum. I even knew this before I enrolled.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Comptency based Doctor of Science program Randomkud1234 5 287 04-20-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Middle Georgia State U Doctor of Science in Public Safety freeloader 15 1,417 04-09-2024, 02:18 PM
Last Post: newdegree
  New Mexico Tech PhD in Computer Science Jonathan Whatley 1 416 12-29-2023, 12:22 PM
  Middle Georgia State : Doctor of Science in IT durain 6 1,659 12-19-2023, 02:44 AM
  Spain Inter-University Doctoral Programme in Business & Management durain 3 800 11-14-2023, 03:49 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Mississippi State University online PhD in Computer Science ifomonay 22 5,343 10-16-2023, 10:18 AM
Last Post: jkenigson
  1-year Doctor of Health Science sanantone 1 923 08-20-2023, 02:52 AM
Last Post: datby98
  Doctorate/PhD in Software Engineering/CS? (US or EU) impasta 6 1,087 07-12-2023, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Harry101
  Doctor of Management (DM) - 42 Credits/TRACS - about $16K USD bjcheung77 8 2,166 06-15-2023, 11:27 PM
  33-Credit Doctor of Medical Science, PA Not Required sanantone 0 874 11-23-2022, 12:28 AM
Last Post: sanantone