Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Sophia Courses
Has anyone noticed any trends about how often and what time of year Sophia releases new courses? I really wish they had American Government and Spanish 1. Would make life easier.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • MadisonSylura
(10-22-2020, 04:07 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Has anyone noticed any trends about how often and what time of year Sophia releases new courses? I really wish they had American Government and Spanish 1. Would make life easier.
I agree.  I even wrote to them.  They just sent me some generic email about keep checking back because they release new ones all the time which was no help at all.  I wish I knew too.  I know that the last new courses were released @ July 30th.
I understand it maybe cheaper/easier/faster to get everything in that monthly membership with Sophia. But since those two courses are already available on InstantCertCredit, I wouldn't even bother waiting, just get it done and you get to support this board. Each course would only cost you $20+15 proctor fee for American Government and also Spanish 1.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Dorothy44
(10-22-2020, 04:18 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I understand it maybe cheaper/easier/faster to get everything in that monthly membership with Sophia.  But since those two courses are already available on InstantCertCredit, I wouldn't even bother waiting, just get it done and you get to support this board.  Each course would only cost you $20+15 proctor fee for American Government and also Spanish 1.

Oh I'm not waiting. I am not sure if my school would accept credits from InstantCertCredit. That's the issue. I can't wait much longer. If they're not available on Sophia by the winter break - the week before Christmas - then I'm out of luck. I am willing to try ICC but I don't know if they'll transfer. I KNOW Sophia transfers and what UMPI accepts from Sophia.
Tell UMPI everything you wanted to ask about acceptance of ICC's courses. The main thing you want to let them know is that, both are ACE recommended for credit such as Study.com/StraighterLine, it's just that the courses at StriaghterLine are over $229/course for Spanish I and Spanish II...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(10-22-2020, 04:33 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Tell UMPI everything you wanted to ask about acceptance of ICC's courses.  The main thing you want to let them know is that, both are ACE recommended for credit such as Study.com/StraighterLine, it's just that the courses at StriaghterLine are over $229/course for Spanish I and Spanish II...

I was planning on asking next week once the new term starts. It's a little crazy this week. If they won't accept ICC, then I may take government at SL because I know they accept SL. I will take French or Spanish at UMPI. French was already offered and Spanish is supposed to come online this next term. ICC doesn't have an oral component which is very attractive to me. They do offer government, but if I don't have to write a 10+ page paper, I'd rather not. It's not my favorite subject so I know I will procrastinate.
Just to let you know the CLEP for American Government is very easy especially if you already took American History, and it would be free through Modern States. The Spanish CLEP I had a friend try. She had taken a lot of Spanish, and she passed it, but it was very difficult. If you have had a lot of Spanish, it can be done, and it is free if the testing place is close to you.
(10-22-2020, 04:39 PM)Dorothy44 Wrote: Just to let  you know the CLEP for American Government is very easy especially if you already took American History, and it would be free through Modern States.  The Spanish CLEP I had a friend try.  She had taken a lot of Spanish, and she passed it, but it was very difficult.  If you have had a lot of Spanish, it can be done, and it is free if the testing place is close to you.

Oh I know about the government CLEP. CLEP centers have been closed here since mid March and aren't anticipated to reopen until at least January due to COVID. They're all located on college campuses an hour plus away. Those campuses are closed to the public. Some have even closed to students and they were sent home. It's been oodles of fun here! LOL
(10-22-2020, 09:07 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(10-22-2020, 04:39 PM)Dorothy44 Wrote: Just to let  you know the CLEP for American Government is very easy especially if you already took American History, and it would be free through Modern States.  The Spanish CLEP I had a friend try.  She had taken a lot of Spanish, and she passed it, but it was very difficult.  If you have had a lot of Spanish, it can be done, and it is free if the testing place is close to you.

Oh I know about the government CLEP. CLEP centers have been closed here since mid March and aren't anticipated to reopen until at least January due to COVID. They're all located on college campuses an hour plus away. Those campuses are closed to the public. Some have even closed to students and they were sent home. It's been oodles of fun here! LOL
Doesn't straighterline have American government?
Instantcert has an ACE recommended American government course. https://www.instantcert.com/credit_cours...Government
BABA, New England College, 2019

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 101 52,507 03-27-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: awildstudentappeared
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 388 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,772 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 281 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,805 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,880 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,410 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 6 547 03-03-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 3 607 03-01-2024, 09:13 PM
  Sophia - Managerial Accounting and Lifespan chentastic 36 3,975 02-28-2024, 09:41 AM
Last Post: vaticidalprophet