Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry
(02-20-2022, 11:52 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(02-20-2022, 11:26 AM)staceyelle Wrote: I think this is what I am going to do.  It has been over 30 years since I've taken a math class, and even then, I had horrible math anxiety.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how easy Sophia makes math, compared to a standard math class. Smile

Just not having hours of homework after every class was an improvement! Having a step by step video that you can watch over and over and pause was tremendously helpful. I wished Anthony was one of the options for Intro to Stats. I really liked his methodology for covering the material. I watched a few of the other options and didn't connect with them like I did with him. It was interesting to see how each instructor was so different.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • , rachel83az
(02-20-2022, 11:52 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(02-20-2022, 11:26 AM)staceyelle Wrote: I think this is what I am going to do.  It has been over 30 years since I've taken a math class, and even then, I had horrible math anxiety.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how easy Sophia makes math, compared to a standard math class. Smile

YAY!
Finished Degrees and Certificates: 
AAS, Board of Governors---Pierpont Community & Technical College, 12/23
Certificate, Community Health Worker---Berkeley City College, 12/23

Upcoming: 
Certificate, Certified Tutor---Berkeley City College
Certificate, Library Technician---Long Beach City College

Considering:
Regents BA---Fairmont State University

Sophia.org is a great option, if you need or want another non-proctored self pace math/stats introductory course, the CSM Learn course is just $39 ($35 if you use the newsletter).
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • , Pikachu
CSM Learn works as a math course for Excelsior and TESU, but only as electives for COSC and UMPI.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  •
(01-30-2022, 12:18 AM)path_seeker Wrote:
(01-29-2022, 06:16 PM)echo64 Wrote: A lot of people aren't good at math and may need to work up until they can handle college algebra. I count myself in that group and glad to see Sophia adding a class like this.

Yes, I completed Intro to Applied Math, and College Math for the same reason. Not considering their transferability, they gave a solid refresher to College Algebra, making it easier to cruise through Algebra. Worst case is not getting a credit, best case is transferring as general electives, but nothing to lose.

Considering a career change, looking to take College Algebra and Probability/Stats for graded credit.  So I'm currently taking Contemporary Math at my local CC as a refresher (it's been a good while since I've taken a math course).

I did take Stats at Study.com in 2018, but before that I took Beginning Algebra, Intermediate Algebra and College Algebra through ALEKS in 2011.

So far, I'm doing very well - but this course is much easier than I expected, and I'm not sure College Algebra will be as much of a breeze.  OH, and it's ALEKS-based!  So you do the initial knowledge check, then work your way through the pie (although you can't choose your pie pieces unfortunately).  4 end-of-module tests and a midterm done, just the final exam left.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • , neutrino
(01-26-2022, 10:58 PM)rachel83az Wrote: At TESU, the College Math CLEP comes in as MAT-102 General Math I and MAT-103 General Math II. Since Sophia is only 3 credits, I would guess it'll come in as MAT-102 if it's accepted. Chemistry will probably be either CHE-101 or CHE-104 without lab.

is there a way to get the lab separately somewhere so we can use this course in our degree?
(02-25-2022, 05:57 PM)Blckbuster Wrote:
(01-26-2022, 10:58 PM)rachel83az Wrote: At TESU, the College Math CLEP comes in as MAT-102 General Math I and MAT-103 General Math II. Since Sophia is only 3 credits, I would guess it'll come in as MAT-102 if it's accepted. Chemistry will probably be either CHE-101 or CHE-104 without lab.

is there a way to get the lab separately somewhere so we can use this course in our degree?

For TESU, I think you could use SL: https://www.straighterline.com/chem101le...-html.html Not sure about other schools. But, once you count the cost of their physical lab kit being shipped to you, Chemistry 111L at SDC (which has a virtual lab) is probably cheaper and easier to deal with.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210

Which school are you going to?  Because you don't need a lab science at most.  TESU doesn't require a lab science.  UMPI requires that your lab and science course be from the same school/provider.  So it depends on where you're going as to whether this will be a viable option or not.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • ss20ts
(02-26-2022, 02:46 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

Which school are you going to?  Because you don't need a lab science at most.  TESU doesn't require a lab science.  UMPI requires that your lab and science course be from the same school/provider.  So it depends on where you're going as to whether this will be a viable option or not.
I am working on a degree from TESU,  for the BS in Information Technology my academic advisor gave me a list that included this as one of the requirements:

B: Chem/Phys II 4SH (Not started)
Chemistry II or Physics II - w/Lab

*must earn grades of C or better

For TESU Chemistry and Physics course options, go to

CHE-122 General Chemistry II with Lab

PHY-116 Physics II with Lab 

When I asked her about it, she led me to think I needed sciences with a lab.
(02-27-2022, 07:08 PM)Blckbuster Wrote:
(02-26-2022, 02:46 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Which school are you going to?  Because you don't need a lab science at most.  TESU doesn't require a lab science.  UMPI requires that your lab and science course be from the same school/provider.  So it depends on where you're going as to whether this will be a viable option or not.
I am working on a degree from TESU,  for the BS in Information Technology my academic advisor gave me a list that included this as one of the requirements:

B: Chem/Phys II 4SH (Not started)
Chemistry II or Physics II - w/Lab

*must earn grades of C or better

For TESU Chemistry and Physics course options, go to

CHE-122 General Chemistry II with Lab

PHY-116 Physics II with Lab 

When I asked her about it, she led me to think I needed sciences with a lab.

I haven't seen anyone else on this forum go for TESU's IT degree, but that particular degree does require two lab sciences.
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it possible to submit a blank page to Sophia histourism 12 393 53 minutes ago
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 6 870 Yesterday, 03:22 PM
Last Post: hsufeng
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 118 61,894 Yesterday, 12:48 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia Human Biology lab tdat314 1 104 04-22-2024, 06:31 PM
  Can sophia credit transfer to two different schools? GoBroncos95 11 488 04-18-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,426 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Does Sophia track what sites you've visited? Chickenfat2024 10 738 04-13-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 992 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia.org while attending UMPI your pace - history major Atwygon 4 255 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 981 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab