Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"New" TESC GPA policy starting July 2011
Don't know if this is new or has been mentioned before, but just ran across this. Starting in July it looks like all grades will be factored for GPA, including F.

Thomas Edison State College/ Request a GPA

Edit: FAQ: Thomas Edison State College/ New Policy on GPA Coming in 2011-2012 Academic Year
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
I think this is a good idea and makes the TESC GPA worth more. But then I do not plan to take anymore TESC courses so it won't affect me.:coolgleam:
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Just to add clarity so no one misinterprets this message....ALL only relates to TESC coursework, it does not include any credit earned by CR only (teceps, epacks,...). It also DOES NOT include grades transferred in or any NE credit earned by testing (dsst/clep/ece).

BTW, there is no reason to get an F grade, if you can't do the coursework you simply drop the course. Or if you are running late on assignments, get 50% done and apply for an extension. What the new policy will do is give the students who forget to drop, such as PLAs, an added incentive to submit their paperwork. I have been guilty of this myself when work got too busy or travelling. When someone else is picking up the tab, its easy to let these things slip. Anyway an I/IF is no big deal it does not affect GPA, I also have an incomplete course on my CC transcript and it did not affect my GPA.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
Thanks for the clarification -- apologies if my original statement caused any confusion. Yes, it is for TESC courses only.

However, it looks like IF does actually impact the GPA after all:

Quote:Final course grades of F, IF or W will appear on GPA transcrips for Thomas Edison State College graduate and undergraduate online or Guided Study courses that start on or after July 1, 2011.

But maybe I misunderstand how they calculate.

This affects me because I'm concerned about keeping my GPA as high as possible. I have to take 6 courses through TESC, and have been planning to take pre-cal and discrete math as two of them. But I'm concerned about having difficulty with them and tanking my GPA, so I may run pre-cal through ALEKS and take something else like business law that is at least interesting but "should be" easier.

CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems

UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

From my understanding, withdrawals and incompletes have always had weight on your GPA. They have taken my GPA down a lot, but thankfully none were transferred to TESC, so hopefully this is like a little bit of a fresh start for me and I can get all A's this last semester. I will probably only take 4 classes at TESC and I guess if I get all A's in them I should have a 4.0 GPA...and be able to put that on my resume, if I am correct!
I do agree on taking precalculus through ALEKS, I did.Big Grin Or you can use ALEKS while taking the course for graded credit. ALEKS is actually a tool used by many colleges for math lab.

On the GPA you are misunderstanding the concept.

I, IF, F and W's were conveniently not listed on transcripts before so anyone requesting a copy of your transcript (schools or employers) could not see how many times you dropped (W=if after the first week), did not drop in time (IF), or did not finish a course (I/IF). Again there is no reason to get an F when you can drop up to the last day of a course. Plus an F grade does not earn credit. These notations to your student record do not count towards your GPA. What they are used for is academic restrictions and financial aid restrictions. I actually have an I and Ws on my TESC transcript and they DO NOT affect my GPA. I also have an I and Ws on my CC transcript and they DO NOT affect my GPA.

Hopefully, Jennifer (Cookderosa) or Marianne will drop by and can add to this conversation from an academic perspective as they are both instructors.

College-Wide Policies - Thomas Edison State College - acalog ACMSâ„¢

Policy on Grade Point Average:
“An official Thomas Edison State College term and cumulative GPA will be calculated and posted on the official transcript for any student earning at least 1 semester credit of graded course work at the College.”

Only grades which reflect earned credits (A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D) will be used to calculate the official Thomas Edison State College GPA.”

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
dcan Wrote:Don't know if this is new or has been mentioned before, but just ran across this. Starting in July it looks like all grades will be factored for GPA, including F.

Thomas Edison State College/ Request a GPA

Edit: FAQ: Thomas Edison State College/ New Policy on GPA Coming in 2011-2012 Academic Year

Interesting. Thanks for sharing that!
[QUOTE=bricabrac]
Hopefully, Jennifer (Cookderosa) or Marianne will drop by and can add to this conversation from an academic perspective as they are both instructors.
>>

I think this is pretty standard. The school I work for certainly includes fail and withdrawal variations on your transcript. Remember, transfer grades are still not part of your GPA, so it's still only classes you take with them AND don't pass. I think for most TESC students this might be an issue, but I think with THIS group of IC members, not so much. This won't have any impact on tests, transfer, etc. so unless you are taking TESC classes AND failing them (or forgetting to drop) you won't even notice the change.
bricabrac Wrote:On the GPA you are misunderstanding the concept.

I, IF, F and W's were conveniently not listed on transcripts before so anyone requesting a copy of your transcript (schools or employers) could not see how many times you dropped (W=if after the first week), did not drop in time (IF), or did not finish a course (I/IF). Again there is no reason to get an F when you can drop up to the last day of a course. Plus an F grade does not earn credit. These notations to your student record do not count towards your GPA. What they are used for is academic restrictions and financial aid restrictions. I actually have an I and Ws on my TESC transcript and they DO NOT affect my GPA. I also have an I and Ws on my CC transcript and they DO NOT affect my GPA.

Thanks for the clarification. So, just to be sure I understand, I could take a course through TESC, go all the way through to the end, drop before the last day, receive an I/IF, and it would not affect the GPA that would be reported when I apply to a grad school? That's my concern.

I really don't expect to fail any courses at all. I just want to be sure I understand the policy. Thanks!

cookderosa Wrote:I think this is pretty standard. The school I work for certainly includes fail and withdrawal variations on your transcript. Remember, transfer grades are still not part of your GPA, so it's still only classes you take with them AND don't pass. I think for most TESC students this might be an issue, but I think with THIS group of IC members, not so much. This won't have any impact on tests, transfer, etc. so unless you are taking TESC classes AND failing them (or forgetting to drop) you won't even notice the change.

Thanks for your feedback Jennifer! Ok, so I am viewing it correctly and do not see the change as an issue.

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  July 2018 current fees at the Big 3 dfrecore 70 12,661 09-06-2018, 08:59 PM
Last Post: KawJa
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,590 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  Enrolled in the Business Capstone course for the July Term. Anybody else? camjenks 25 4,904 07-16-2018, 02:18 PM
Last Post: keokat
  Age waiver denied from TESU. Policy changed Jan. 1, 2018 stampbuyme 61 11,480 05-31-2018, 08:05 PM
Last Post: a2jc4life
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,419 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,161 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Just starting I need help tobyisking 19 3,341 01-07-2018, 10:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Newbie looking for a roadmap for TESC associate degree in computer science nevsage 6 3,958 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ajs1976 TESC BSBA accountability thread ajs1976 41 10,297 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UExcel Business Information Systems TESC Equivalency laughter 4 1,744 11-09-2017, 11:47 PM
Last Post: jsh1138