Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New York May Offer Free Tuition Soon
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/edu...9d89f40cca
That's great!

I didn't know this. "Tennessee, Oregon and Minnesota have free community-college programs, with Tennessee’s model lauded as a viable path for reducing higher-education costs."

It's called the Excelsior Scholarship and it is only for students without a Bachelor degree already who meet the family or independent income cap; and the student will need to complete 30 credits a year and earn a 2.0 or better GPA; and then work in NYS for the equivalent number of years they took loans out, otherwise it will convert into a student loan to be paid back.
But still not a bad deal for those that qualify! Just wish there was something similar for those that already took out loans and are paying them back who reside and work in NYS already!
(06-17-2018, 05:48 PM)miah Wrote: It's called the Excelsior Scholarship and it is only for students without a Bachelor degree already who meet the family or independent income cap; and the student will need to complete 30 credits a year and earn a 2.0 or better GPA; and then work in NYS for the equivalent number of years they took loans out, otherwise it will convert into a student loan to be paid back.
But still not a bad deal for those that qualify! Just wish there was something similar for those that already took out loans and are paying them back who reside and work in NYS already!

Millennials got screwed. At least there is Public Service Loan Forgiveness.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • jsd
(06-17-2018, 05:56 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(06-17-2018, 05:48 PM)miah Wrote: It's called the Excelsior Scholarship and it is only for students without a Bachelor degree already who meet the family or independent income cap; and the student will need to complete 30 credits a year and earn a 2.0 or better GPA; and then work in NYS for the equivalent number of years they took loans out, otherwise it will convert into a student loan to be paid back.

Millennials got screwed. At least there is Public Service Loan Forgiveness.

I just looked at https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans.../questions and it seems like there are lots of things that can exclude students from that one too. Sad

Student loans should not be higher interest than auto or mortgages (IMHO) ... it's just not fair.... it used to be that attending college and higher education could help raise you up out of poverty and debt.... not so sure that is as true now for the masses that use the traditional route of achieving higher education degrees...
(06-17-2018, 06:09 PM)miah Wrote: Student loans should not be higher interest than auto or mortgages (IMHO) ... it's just not fair.... it used to be that attending college and higher education could help raise you up out of poverty and debt.... not so sure that is as true now for the masses that use the traditional route of achieving higher education degrees...

I know plenty of kids paying their way through school, or who have grants and scholarships.  You do NOT have to take out tens of thousands of dollars of student loans to get through school!  If you can't afford it, you can choose less expensive schools, choose to work for a year or two instead of going to school, find jobs where they will pay for tuition, etc.  People who go to schools they can't afford and then take out tons of student loans to pay for it...well, that was just not smart.  I'm not talking about $10k in student loans, I'm talking $50-$150k.  That's just dumb.

And yes, when I was 18, and got accepted to Stanford, I thought it might be a great idea to take out loans to go, and my mom said ABSOLUTELY NOT!  Thank heavens someone in my life was smarter than I was right then, because I was an 18 year old moron.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • ConqueringCollege
(06-17-2018, 08:03 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(06-17-2018, 06:09 PM)miah Wrote: Student loans should not be higher interest than auto or mortgages (IMHO) ... it's just not fair.... it used to be that attending college and higher education could help raise you up out of poverty and debt.... not so sure that is as true now for the masses that use the traditional route of achieving higher education degrees...

I know plenty of kids paying their way through school, or who have grants and scholarships.  You do NOT have to take out tens of thousands of dollars of student loans to get through school!  If you can't afford it, you can choose less expensive schools, choose to work for a year or two instead of going to school, find jobs where they will pay for tuition, etc.  People who go to schools they can't afford and then take out tons of student loans to pay for it...well, that was just not smart.  I'm not talking about $10k in student loans, I'm talking $50-$150k.  That's just dumb.

And yes, when I was 18, and got accepted to Stanford, I thought it might be a great idea to take out loans to go, and my mom said ABSOLUTELY NOT!  Thank heavens someone in my life was smarter than I was right then, because I was an 18 year old moron.

Did you wait for your financial aid package? I avoided applying to good schools because I thought I couldn't afford them. It turns out that I probably would have gotten scholarships and grants directly from the school to cover most of the tuition.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

I used to think that as well, but sometimes you don't have a choice to stay local if you want to get a degree such as Veterinary Technology or some other similar majors that are not available at every school, like business and psychology or education degrees are.

My nephews went to NYS SUNY schools and still graduated in debt! It is can cost $25,000 a year to attend STATE PUBLIC SCHOOLS in NYS by the time you add together tuition and fees and room and board and books!

Maybe other states are less expensive for instate students, but the cost of room and board is more than the cost of tuition and fees so you can't use that blanket statement for all students!

A 4 year degree will cost at least $100,000 in NYS at SUNY colleges. These are state colleges and universities, not private colleges!
(06-17-2018, 08:41 PM)miah Wrote:

I used to think that as well, but sometimes you don't have a choice to stay local if you want to get a degree such as Veterinary Technology or some other similar majors that are not available at every school, like business and psychology or education degrees are.

My nephews went to NYS SUNY schools and still graduated in debt! It is can cost $25,000 a year to attend STATE PUBLIC SCHOOLS in NYS by the time you add together tuition and fees and room and board and books!

Maybe other states are less expensive for instate students, but the cost of room and board is more than the cost of tuition and fees so you can't use that blanket statement for all students!

A 4 year degree will cost at least $100,000 in NYS at SUNY colleges. These are state colleges and universities, not private colleges!

Don't most 4-year colleges offer business, psychology, and education? Those are the most popular majors in the country.

I would bet $1 million that most SUNY students take out nowhere near $100k in loans. I don't think people realize how difficult it is for dependent students to find that much loan money.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(06-17-2018, 08:24 PM)sanantone Wrote:

Did you wait for your financial aid package? I avoided applying to good schools because I thought I couldn't afford them. It turns out that I probably would have gotten scholarships and grants directly from the school to cover most of the tuition.

They applied to state schools not private colleges. It still costs $100K to get a 4 year degree at SUNY colleges if you live on campus and maybe slightly less if you live off campus. 

Both of these young adults will be paying off loans for decades. The one will probably be better off than the other as one went for Engineering while the other ended up finishing up a degree in psychology. He prefers F2F courses over taking tests. 

The engineering student got some scholarships but still has a large student loan debt. The other one didn't get scholarships as far as I know.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New York Governor Kathy Hochul admits that the $355 million Trump verdict was a sham LevelUP 11 1,232 02-23-2024, 09:46 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
Video Uncle Tom Movie Now Free on YouTube LevelUP 5 1,239 07-22-2022, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Free Pair of Prescription Glasses! Add-ons available... bjcheung77 7 1,231 05-12-2022, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  How to Get The Best Job Offer Kal Di 2 599 01-28-2022, 08:59 AM
Last Post: vetvso
  PDF Converter by Readdle (Free for ios - ipad/iphone) bjcheung77 0 700 01-10-2022, 02:02 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  FREE editing and video production software bjcheung77 11 3,401 11-20-2021, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Eneys
  Amazon Prime: FREE Battlefield 1 Origin Key! Expires Aug. 4, 2021 bjcheung77 5 1,262 08-03-2021, 04:19 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  [Google Play] "Human" Documentary Movie FREE *Rental* bjcheung77 0 661 07-19-2021, 07:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  [Microsoft Store] Free PDF Manager - Merge, Split, Trim bjcheung77 5 1,527 07-07-2021, 08:59 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  FREE - Amazon.com - Python and OpenGL (Kindle Edition) bjcheung77 1 804 07-06-2021, 10:01 AM
Last Post: bluebooger