Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New from Harvard Extension School
(06-16-2019, 12:48 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: @Jonathan Whatley thanks for the advice. I am aware of her accomplishments and her contributions, which is why I find it strange she of everyone else would hold that position toward the school.

It's odd, which is why I said that, I can't see any good reason why she would make some statements about 'red scarlett' and 'ashamed of non traditional students' and other stuff that really has no merit and seems to me to be driven by emotion rather than reason.

Sanantone I'm sorry if I misrepresented your position, and say what I meant to say which is 'don't let personal emotion cloud your judgement'.Cause some of your statments are can come across aa a bitter opinion.

HES is Harvard it's says so everywhere.

@sanantone thanks for the like. It was your subconscious :-)

I am a strong advocate for non-traditional students; this is the reason why I hold a strong position against colleges and universities that go out of their way to brand their night/weekend and online students as being different as to not soil the reputation of the rest of the school. Many non-traditional students are capable of earning admission to these schools; they just need a more convenient format. In my opinion, if you prove that you can do the work, then you should earn the same degree as everyone else.

(06-16-2019, 12:51 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: And college isn't about getting jobs. Its about giving you an education. Landing the job is up to you.

@sanantone and according to your logic, you are the correct one on every devate tou have with me, am I wrong?

Since I dont make sense. Lol.

It's true that universities were not designed to be career training programs. So, the question becomes, "Am I really receiving a better education by spending two or more times as much as I would spend at another decent university?"
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • jsd
@sanantone I'm glad you said probably. Lol. I'm debt free (thanks Ramsey!) and founded a business that now makes enough so I can migrate to the life I wanted. Which is why I have no need to chase that 'job in America' anymore. I think I'm doing the HES.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(06-16-2019, 12:57 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: @sanantone I'm glad you said probably. Lol. I'm debt free (thanks Ramsey!) and founded a business that now makes enough so I can migrate to the life I wanted. Which is why I have no need to chase that 'job in America' anymore. I think I'm doing the HES.

That's good. Can you run your business from anywhere, or will you have someone to take over when you have to travel to Cambridge?
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
@sanantone since you apparently care about the rankings (you did say you go to higher ranked universities than I do). I would say yes, you would get a better education at a higher ranked school since they have better professors and facilities (according to the rankings you're so fond of).

And of course its also about reaching the self-actualization. Some people just want to say 'I went to Harvard'.

For me I just want a doctorate. I don't care if it's regional, national, international as long as it's accredited and in CS or IT.

Some people, like you would rather spend more to go to a better ranked school cause they would surely recieve a better education at one of the 'top 20 ranked' schools for the field of study than I would at the unranked nationally accredited Aspen with a DSc in CS or PhD in CS at Ateneo De Manila University.

It depends on your goals. I just want to formally publish my research.

@sanantone well thanks to this nice guy called Robert Kiyosaki I learned about the B and not being in the E or S class. I also learned that I was sitting on a gold mine as it turns out agriculture in the Caribbean is a low cost and lucrative business that yields high returns. He gave me the idea since he invests in avacado farms, and I was able to find something similar here.

I kept my day job as a cop cause I honestly like it (getting an award this year), though I may have ro resign next year due to migration. I have workers and a blood relative doing almost everything management wise. I would give more details but this is the internet. However thats the jist of it.

I thank God honestly for Dave Ramsey and Robert Kiyosaki, they changed my life.
GRADUATE

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(06-16-2019, 01:15 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: @sanantone since you apparently care about the rankings (you did say you go to higher ranked universities than I do). I would say yes, you would get a better education at a higher ranked school since they have better professors and facilities (according to the rankings you're so fond of).

And of course its also about reaching the self-actualization. Some people just want to say 'I went to Harvard'.

For me I just want a doctorate. I don't care if it's regional, national, international as long as it's accredited and in CS or IT.

Some people, like you would rather spend more to go to a better ranked school cause they would surely recieve a better education at one of the 'top 20 ranked' schools for the field of study than I would at the unranked nationally accredited Aspen with a DSc in CS or PhD in CS at Ateneo De Manila University.

It depends on your goals. I just want to formally publish my research.

That's not true. There aren't many options for online medical science and life science programs. University of Florida was one of the cheaper options. There were unranked schools that were more expensive.

When I chose to apply to Texas State University, its PhD program in criminal justice was fairly new and unranked. It wasn't ranked until around 2018 because the last ranking in criminology was done in 2009 when the program had just started. I looked at the CVs and bios of the professors to judge the quality of the program. The main reason why I opted to attend Txstate after being accepted was because they had the highest stipend out of every criminology/criminal justice program I researched. This allowed me to attend school full-time the second year and complete my coursework more quickly. Additionally, as a Texas public university, I could receive Texas grants. Grants are not easy to come by at the graduate level. Without the grants, the tuition for the PhD program was around $18,000. I haven't calculated the total amount I received in grants, but I'm sure they lowered the cost to below $15,000. Aspen University's DSc is just under $30k. 

I'm smarter than you think I am.  Big Grin
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
@sanantone I'm thinking of Aspen as its distance learning, the price is clear, requires no GRE and is realtively easy to get into. I can finish in 2 years without having to visit a campus and the curriculum interests me.

But right now Aspen is my backup plan according to how life goes, Ateno De Manilia is very cheap and I can go full time.

Oh of course you are very smart, I cant hold a candle to your intelligence. :-D

Btw If I had to attend Texas state as an internationa student. It would cost me much more than that.
GRADUATE

TESU (4 cr)

(06-16-2019, 01:15 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: I would say yes, you would get a better education at a higher ranked school since they have better professors and facilities (according to the rankings you're so fond of).

If you've ever been to look at different schools, and take courses at different levels, you will find that this is NOT the case in any way.  I've taken courses at CC's with a few excellent teachers, the rest were good.  I've taken courses at a good state school with 1 great professor, many average-to-good professors, and TERRIBLE grad students teaching courses that good professors should have taught.  I've taken courses at a good private school with excellent professors, and zero facilities (didn't need them anyway for business courses).

I've also recently been looking with my HS aged son for colleges, and an unranked tiny private school has a brand new science building with all the amenities, so I imagine it would be pretty cool to take courses there going forward.  I've seen aging buildings and facilities on older but beautiful campuses with ocean views.

There is NO WAY to be assured that the ranked school you are going to has better professors (or even professors at all) teaching your courses, nor can you be assured that the facilities will be better.  It really depends on many factors.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
@dfrecore Of course smaller colleges with small class sizes and individual attention is better and there are some gems there.

But theres a good chance if you're in a top 20 ranked school you have a higher chance of getting better facilities and instruction. Larger libraires and labs and what not.

Its not always the case, theres always exceptions, but pick a top 10 ranked school and you most likely wont be disappointed.

You also pay for the name and bragging rights. You can brag and say 'I went to a top 20 ranked school' or 'I went to Harvard or Oxford' or 'I went to a higher ranked school than you'. I experienced that first hand today..lol
GRADUATE

TESU (4 cr)

I knew a student body leader at HES who owned a business in the Caribbean. Her people largely ran it and it helped fund her studies on campus. Remember that HES doesn't grant student visas, though Harvard Summer School can and students can often meet HES residency requirements through one or more Summer School terms. There are a good number of students on campus at HES with origins outside the United States who entered the U.S. through other means, including work visas where their employment schedules and visa terms left room to study.
I am kind of ambivalent about the HES debate. I do know that the twenty graduate English credit hours that I finished there cost about $1250, which was cheaper than anywhere else that I could find.

I don't think that an online HES class is as good as an in-seat class at Harvard College. I think that being surrounded by amazing people on a daily basis is its own thing. However, I also think that people on this forum are amazing and we really do help each other out.

The really cool thing that HES is doing right now is pricing their courses at levels that working people can afford. The poetry classes, scholarships and affordable certificates are really great. I will shout Harvard Extension to the rooftops if the price is right.

BTW, the pricing thing is also at play with the changes at TESU and the Big Three. Those institutions would not be a viable concern if their degrees approached free in terms of cost. They need to pay people to transcript the courses, etc. The degrees also wouldn't mean much if it didn't take a little bit of effort to achieve them. I think that $5,000 for a degree is great and $20,000 or $30,000 for an HES degree is great. This is a great time to be a student.
[-] The following 2 users Like eriehiker's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley, studiousimp

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nitstharya - Grad School Top Up Recommendation nitstharya 1 181 04-10-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 33 7,300 04-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 1,038 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 16,079 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  Northwestern California University School of Law - My Journey GoodYellowDogs 47 14,770 02-14-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: MFG
  School of Business and Trade evaluation bjcheung77 12 1,319 01-11-2024, 10:36 PM
Last Post: adrian052
  Article bashes Harvard Extension ALM Grad smartdegree 50 8,492 12-25-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  Medical School, AMCAS, Prerequisites, Pass or fail, online college, etc... CanICode 22 3,645 10-18-2023, 08:38 AM
Last Post: CanICode
  Seeking a grad school OTmina 4 1,094 10-11-2023, 11:13 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Caribbean Immigration (Med School Discount! - Secrets - Shhh...) bjcheung77 19 4,652 09-29-2023, 10:14 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess