Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New member in search of help
Hello all,

I have been reading around these threads for a while and have used the resources in Instantcert.com to successfully test out of a few subjects. I am currently active duty military and I am trying to complete my degree solely for the purpose of earning a commission and becoming an Officer. For this purpose I truly have no preference on what degree path I choose nor where I get it from so long as it's fast. I have access to testing facilities nearby and would prefer to use primarily CLEP, DSST, ECE etc to test out, not Straighter Line or anything like that. What I am asking for is a little help as far as a spreadsheet or template would go if anyone knows of one that relies mostly on testing. I know there are a few threads related to this but they almost all have the use of Straighter Line on them. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I just happen to have what you're looking for!

Here is a BSBA in General Management and a BALS, both from TESU.

The caveat is that you need to take 7 TECEP exams, as well as the Capstone, to get your residency waiver fee to $0!  Both degrees utilize CLEP & DSST as your only source other than the TECEP/TESU Online course you need to take.  You are free to take any TECEP's that you want, so you just need to ask some questions before you decide (like do you want the 7 easiest?  Or some with UL credit?  Or however you want to utilize them).

Total cost for either degree is $1976!!!

Good luck, and thank you for your service!

Attached Files
.xlsx   TESU BSBA GenMan - CLEP & DSST.xlsx (Size: 37.75 KB / Downloads: 20)
.xlsx   TESU 2016 BALS - CLEP & DSST.xlsx (Size: 40.31 KB / Downloads: 20)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • ajs1976a, Life Long Learning
Thank you so much for the quick and helpful response! I was actually already looking at TESU, they are giving me 37 credit for my Joint Services Transcript for either of those degrees l so I think that is who I will go with. As far as the TECEPs, I guess I would like both answers, which are easiest and which would be the most well utilized in your opinion? Also, what is it like taking one? I understand from what I have read that they are monitored through your Webcam? In your opinion is this easier than a CLEP or DSST? Thanks again!
I would say they are comparable in difficulty to CLEP/DSST in general. Each TECEP has a syllabus page with a general description, some sample questions, suggested textbooks and sometimes a suggested online course to use for study. You register for the TECEP as if it was a course, then within the term you registered in, schedule the test with ProctorU when you're ready to take it. When test time comes you will log into ProctorU. One of their proctors will verify your identity and inspect your test taking space using your webcam, unlock the test, then monitor your screen and webcam while you're taking the exam online. It's actually easier than it sounds. You do need a decent internet connection. You can run a test of your PC and your connection on the ProctorU website.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • ajs1976a
Some TECEP's are easy, some are hard - depends on a lot of variables. First, some of them have required Essays. If you're good at writing essays, then you'll love them. If not, you won't.

I can tell you from experience which are easy (for me):
- Applied Liberal Arts Math (below the level of Algebra I, including 6th grade level math like percentages - but won't fulfill your math requirement for the BSBA)
- Technical Writing (requires writing throughout the test, but not a ton)
- Computer Concepts & Applications

I thought Public Relations was hard (even though it was all multiple choice, and I read the textbook)

If you want to stick to DSST/CLEP's, then you will have to take Business in Society and Managerial Accounting, since those aren't offered through CLEP/DSST.

As for taking TECEP's, I don't mind having a web-based proctor - and I certainly don't mind not having to drive to a testing center (which for me is 45 minutes away). I also like being able to take tests when it's convenient (mostly at night after everyone goes to bed and it's nice and quiet). But certainly, if I had free CLEP/DSST's available, I would take that over just about anything else.

If you post your JST, I can help you determine where all your credits will fall. The bad thing about the BSBA is that there is not a lot of flexibility in it, and your JST credits may fall off (unless you've actually done an eval at TESU and they've told you where they fit).
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Just gotta give a shout out to MVP's-- dfrecore and davewill! I don't think we (newbies) could/would be able to efficiently proceed with our degree 'hunt' without such helpful information. We appreciate you very much!

Reece4128 -- Welcome! You've come to the perfect place to help you on your journey.
“Crazy people don't know they're crazy. I know I'm crazy, therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy?” 

― Captain Jack Sparrow
My Next Goal: Pondering Masters Program ??
Completed:  145+ Credits. Joined this forum October 2017 w/ 6 B&M Credits. Earned 117cr in 10 mo.! Graduated Sept 2019 TESU BSBA GM & ASNSM-CS
*SL 54 Cr *Shmoop 30 Cr +/- *Aleks 6 *Study.com 30+*TEEX 11 *CPCU 2 *B&M 6 
In Process:  Pondering  Big Grin
These are the TECEPs I have taken:

Eng Comp I - easy. If you have done any college level writing this should be easy credits.

Tech Writing - easy. If you have done any college level writing this should be easy credits.

Marriage and Family - medium. Basic SOC class, but I had to do more studying to get the terminology and definitions. The exam has been revised since I took it and the new version includes more essays.

Strategic Management - harder. Advanced business. Now that it no longer counts as the capstone, i'm not sure why someone would take it.

Networking - easy for me. I work in the field and have taken a number Networking certification exams. If you have CompTIA Network+ level knowledge this should be comparable.

Computer Concepts - easy for me. I work in the field.

Liberal Math - easy. If you have taken College Algebra or higher this should be easy. Spend a couple hours of review and then take it.

Managerial Accounting - hard. I hate the subject. Struggle through this one. I had Study.com as a backup, but ended made it through.

For TECEPs find the exam guide and the recommended text book. It doesn't have to be the most recent version. If the exam guide references a free online resources, do some research to find what actual textbook to use. You will know you have the right one when the section headings map up with the chapter titles. Use the table of contents and the index and focus on the pieces mentioned in the exam guide. Search for advice from people who have passed the exam previously. For example comments like know your lists and ignore the case studies for the Strategic Management exam saved me a lot of time.
TESU - BSBA: CIS - Dec '17

TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics COSC Cornerstone, Software Engineering Straighterline Business Ethics

Next:
  Related classes at local CC and various Cybersecurity certifications.

Old username:  ajs1976
(01-02-2018, 07:42 PM)ajs1976a Wrote: Strategic Management - harder.  Advanced business.  Now that it no longer counts as the capstone, i'm not sure why someone would take it.  
It no longer exists as a TECEP.
Someone asked that I post my JST, I am having problems downloading it onto my phone but in the meantime I have this from the TESU Military Veteran Portal from when I uploaded it to there and it (unofficially) applied my credits toward the BALS. It makes sense but I am a little confused about a few things, mainly how the TECEPS fit in based on the CLEP and DSST I chose. Here is what I came up with:
CLEP
College Composition
Analyzing and Interpretating Literature
American Literature
English Literature
Natural Sciences
Humanities
Social Sciences and History
Introductory Sociology
College Mathematics
American Government

DSST
Management Information Systems
Organizational Behavior
Ethics in America

And then I guess the rest TECEP although things just don't line up real well

Attached Files
.pdf   Show Degree Map _ MVP.pdf (Size: 87.06 KB / Downloads: 6)
(01-02-2018, 12:55 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I just happen to have what you're looking for!

Here is a BSBA in General Management and a BALS, both from TESU.

The caveat is that you need to take 7 TECEP exams, as well as the Capstone, to get your residency waiver fee to $0!  [...[
Total cost for either degree is $1976!!!

Is that a kind of loophole? Normally, TESU will be about $3000. If I take 7 TECEP exams, will that bring the cost down to $1976? Or $1976 plus the cost of the 7 TECEP exams?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member! squirrely181 8 2,088 08-17-2018, 06:16 PM
Last Post: Jimmy999
  New Member need assistance with TESU degree plan BA ckndinner 3 1,698 08-12-2018, 09:11 PM
Last Post: prolific_change
  New Member need assistance with TESU degree plan BA in Lib Studies PBenitez 14 3,522 08-11-2018, 02:21 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  New Member - Need Assistance With TESU Psychology Plan joshyjosh 7 2,231 08-05-2018, 10:01 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New TESU Transfer Credit Search Tool pandas4eva 4 969 05-03-2017, 04:16 PM
Last Post: jsd
  In search of guidance, Bachelors for military FutureGrad 11 2,211 10-04-2016, 08:50 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  New member, Excelsior student need help choosing exams. Long, very long. Mini Trail 9 2,233 05-01-2015, 08:44 PM
Last Post: Mini Trail
  COSC General Education Outcome search publius2k4 0 547 11-11-2013, 05:17 PM
Last Post: publius2k4
  FEMA at COSC? (couldn't locate recent answer in search) SKMDC 3 831 06-25-2013, 05:31 PM
Last Post: SKMDC
  TESC Website no longer has search ability jam123 7 911 02-15-2012, 12:45 AM
Last Post: dcan