Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Berkeley Dropping The GRE
(10-03-2021, 04:56 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(10-03-2021, 09:25 AM)Old Guy Wrote: The whole point has nothing to do with academics.  The GRE provides a reasonably blind comparison of student ability when they come from dissimilar backgrounds.  The point of getting rid of the GRE is to allow schools to discriminate and be less obvious.  They don't want to be sued like Harvard for punting Asian students.  Universities used to discriminate to keep down the number of Jewish students.  Bob Dylan was wrong when he said, "The Times they are a changin."  The targets change but the idiots in charge of the asylum simply want to retain the ability to discriminate.  Did I say that?

I guess one could argue that this has always been about protecting seats for non-Jewish White students, but Ivy Plus schools are already doing this by favoring legacy applicants, athletes (most of which are not Black at Ivy Plus schools), children of employees, and children of wealthy donors. Harvard won their case, by the way. If the Ivy Plus schools were to admit students based on merit, alone, the majority of seats that would open up for Asian students would come from White applicants who would have been admitted otherwise. This can be seen in the University of California system where Asian students are far overrepresented based on their percentage of the general population because the UC system is more based on merit. White students are grossly underrepresented.
This change is not about preserving the proportion of white students. It is the exact opposite.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article...-year.html

Ivy league colleges are aiming at increasing the proportion of black and hispanic students, and mostly at the expense of white students. This in order to make these places more "diverse". 
As the article explains, white people in the US make up about 60% of the population, but are only 40% of present enrolment at Ivy league. Even when adjusting demographically for different age distributions, white students are significantly underrepresented.
Affirmative action is a real thing.
(10-04-2021, 01:52 AM)JannikT Wrote:
(10-03-2021, 09:25 AM)Old Guy Wrote: The whole point has nothing to do with academics.  The GRE provides a reasonably blind comparison of student ability when they come from dissimilar backgrounds.  The point of getting rid of the GRE is to allow schools to discriminate and be less obvious.  They don't want to be sued like Harvard for punting Asian students.  Universities used to discriminate to keep down the number of Jewish students.  Bob Dylan was wrong when he said, "The Times they are a changin."  The targets change but the idiots in charge of the asylum simply want to retain the ability to discriminate.  Did I say that?

I guess one could argue that this has always been about protecting seats for non-Jewish White students, but Ivy Plus schools are already doing this by favoring legacy applicants, athletes (most of which are not Black at Ivy Plus schools), children of employees, and children of wealthy donors. Harvard won their case, by the way. If the Ivy Plus schools were to admit students based on merit, alone, the majority of seats that would open up for Asian students would come from White applicants who would have been admitted otherwise. This can be seen in the University of California system where Asian students are far overrepresented based on their percentage of the general population because the UC system is more based on merit. White students are grossly underrepresented.
This change is not about preserving the proportion of white students. It is the exact opposite.

Ivy league colleges are aiming at increasing the proportion of black and hispanic students, and mostly at the expense of white students. This in order to make these places more "diverse". 
As the article explains, white people in the US make up about 60% of the population, but are only 40% of present enrolment at Ivy league. Even when adjusting demographically for different age distributions, white students are significantly underrepresented.

And, Black and Hispanic students are usually underrepresented while Asian students are generally overrepresented. Asians only make up 5.9% of the population, but since they're the "model minority," White applicants haven't complained about them like they did with Jewish students in the past (anti-Semitism). Jewish students beat out non-Jewish students on grades and test scores, and they're the reason why the Ivy Leagues started favoring legacy applicants, donors, and children of employees. White people only complain about Black people, Hispanics, and Jews, but the truth is that, if students were only admitted based on grades and test scores, even more White students would lose their seats to Asian applicants. This came out in the Harvard case. 

Next up, colleges will be looking for ways to admit more men since they're lagging behind in admissions. If Affirmative Action worked the way ya'll thought it did, I would have been admitted to a Harvard graduate program I applied to considering that my GRE scores were significantly higher than average for the field, regardless of color. But, GRE scores are not the only thing admissions teams look at, and me being Black with a high graduate GPA didn't gain me acceptance.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(10-04-2021, 09:07 AM)sanantone Wrote:

And, Black and Hispanic students are usually underrepresented while Asian students are generally overrepresented. Asians only make up 5.9% of the population, but since they're the "model minority," White applicants haven't complained about them like they did with Jewish students in the past (anti-Semitism). Jewish students beat out non-Jewish students on grades and test scores, and they're the reason why the Ivy Leagues started favoring legacy applicants, donors, and children of employees. White people only complain about Black people, Hispanics, and Jews, but the truth is that, if students were only admitted based on grades and test scores, even more White students would lose their seats to Asian applicants. This came out in the Harvard case. 

Next up, colleges will be looking for ways to admit more men since they're lagging behind in admissions. If Affirmative Action worked the way ya'll thought it did, I would have been admitted to a Harvard graduate program I applied to considering that my GRE scores were significantly higher than average for the field, regardless of color. But, GRE scores are not the only thing admissions teams look at, and me being Black with a high graduate GPA didn't gain me acceptance.

Harvard is of this year taking in 18% black students, which is some what above their share of 13,5% of the US population. So nothing suggests that african american students are underrepresented at Ivy league uni. Hispanics are underrepresented, as they are only 13,3% of the intake at Harvard, but 18,5% of the overall population. 
A very large portion of the white proportion at Ivy league universities are jewish. Even when accounting for their better test scores, they are still massively overrepresented at Ivy leagues, as they only compose around 2% of the population. 
Your claim that even more non-jewish white students would lose out to jewish and asian applicants is simply false. The proportion of non-jewish white students is significantly below 40%, they are already severely underrepresented, when taking into consideration that they comprise 60% of the overall US population. Not because they have low test scores, but because they are being deliberately selected against. 
As you state yourself, other factors are being considered then GRE scores. Being white and non-jewish, and possibly also male, is looked upon negatively.
(10-04-2021, 01:45 PM)JannikT Wrote:
(10-04-2021, 09:07 AM)sanantone Wrote:

Harvard is of this year taking in 18% black students, which is some what above their share of 13,5% of the US population. So nothing suggests that african american students are underrepresented at Ivy league uni. Hispanics are underrepresented, as they are only 13,3% of the intake at Harvard, but 18,5% of the overall population. 
A very large portion of the white proportion at Ivy league universities are jewish. Even when accounting for their better test scores, they are still massively overrepresented at Ivy leagues, as they only compose around 2% of the population. 
Your claim that even more non-jewish white students would lose out to jewish and asian applicants is simply false. The proportion of non-jewish white students is significantly below 40%, they are already severely underrepresented, when taking into consideration that they comprise 60% of the overall US population. Not because they have low test scores, but because they are being deliberately selected against. 
As you state yourself, other factors are being considered then GRE scores. Being white and non-jewish, and possibly also male, is looked upon negatively.

You're not understanding. There's a difference between the current college composition and the acceptance letters sent out this year for the class of 2025. The discrimination against Jewish applicants happened in the past, which led to the current policies of legacy, donor, and children of employee admits. If you read what was submitted during the Harvard case, you would know that there were White students who were given seats over more qualified Asian students. Just because this year's acceptance letters only consisted of 40% White applicants does not mean that seats were not given to White applicants over Asian applicants due to legacy, employee, donor, and athlete preferences. 

To reiterate, if Harvard only went off of test scores and GPA, even fewer White students would be admitted because those seats would go to Asian students. The demographics of the student body at Harvard would more resemble the student bodies at UCLA and Berkeley. The underrepresentation of White students does not mean that they are being discriminated against; it means that Asian students had better application packages. 

https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-colum...se-country

https://www.californialawreview.org/prin...ite-bonus/

As a Black woman with high GRE scores and a high graduate GPA, I was not accepted to a graduate program I applied to at Harvard. Being Black and female does not guarantee admission even though I have higher GRE scores than the majority of applicants.

There's a difference between acceptance letters and admissions statistics. Some students turn down admissions because they can't afford the school, or they decided that another school was a better choice.

These are the admission statistics for Princeton University's class of 2024. To be clear, this is different from the acceptance letter statistics you linked to from the Daily Mail, which isn't really the most reputable source to use, but I digress.

Asian American 25
Hispanic/Latino 9
African American 10
Multiracial (non-Hispanic) 7
American Indian <1
International Citizens 12

https://admission.princeton.edu/how-appl...statistics

These are the current demographics of Princeton's student body. As you can see, Black students are underrepresented.

https://inclusive.princeton.edu/about/demographics

Columbia University demographics. Once again, Black students are underrepresented.
https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/...diversity/

Cornell University demographics. Black students are underrepresented here.

https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/...diversity/

Yale University demographics. Black students are underrepresented.
https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/...rsity.html

University of Pennsylvania demographics. Yet again, Black students are underrepresented.
https://diversity.upenn.edu/diversity-at...nd-figures

The only Ivy League School at which Black students are overrepresented is Harvard. Black students make up 15.9% of the student body.

https://college.harvard.edu/admissions/a...statistics
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Berkeley Coursera MAS-Engineering Jonathan Whatley 8 988 09-07-2023, 12:26 PM
Last Post: ThatBankDude
  ABA recommends dropping LSAT requirements SweetSecret 4 607 05-07-2022, 09:15 AM
Last Post: newdegree
  UC Berkeley's Online MS in Data Science sanantone 6 2,760 07-08-2019, 05:02 PM
Last Post: bluebooger