Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Tuition Until Hired - ConTech University Masters in CS/AI/Data
This is an interesting new university model based in Palo Alto.  Says they had 5,000 applicants with a 1% acceptance rate. 

This reminds me of the buy now pay later models offered by Bootcamps, but instead they offer Masters degrees in CS and AI/Data Science.  Their biggest challenge similar to Quantic, will be accreditation.  

https://www.marketwatch.com/press-releas...2022-01-13

https://contech.university/master-of-sci...-learning/
[-] The following 1 user Likes smartdegree's post:
  • thecontrarian
Keep in mind this intuition has no real U.S. accreditation so you are paying $20,000 essentially for a boot camp and calling it a master degree sounds really scammy.

As far as the 1% acceptance rate, I bet if you have a wallet and a pulse, they let you in.

Based in Palo Alto, yet they only offer online learning, ya right.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • MNomadic, thecontrarian
If there is an option for them to provide you an education and have their program accredited by DEAC or another accreditor, and charge you AFTER you graduate and get a job (maybe 1 year later after you get paid handsomely), then I say probably, I may sign up?! Some people are alright paying $18/$19 K for an accredited Masters, as it may get you a better job and cashflow in the future... unless that happens, I wouldn't sign up just yet...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • smartdegree, thecontrarian
...is it a con? It's got con in the name.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • thecontrarian
A more interesting question is why other for-profits haven't thought about offering the study now pay later tuition option. Wouldn't be surprised if this payment scheme is the dominant one in the future. And maybe it's the best win-win option for both the student and the school.
The Bootcamps are succeeding with it with 6 month programs, so I see no reason why this payment model can't be expanded to 1 year masters programs.
[-] The following 1 user Likes smartdegree's post:
  • thecontrarian
Others haven't done it because their students are able to take out student loans. Why put your own finances on the line when you can risk someone else's money instead?
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • Flelm, smartdegree, ss20ts
I find this interesting:

Quote:Notice to Prospective Degree Program Students This institution is provisionally approved by the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education to offer degree programs. To continue to offer this degree program, this institution must meet the following requirements: • Become institutionally accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the United States Department of Education, with the scope of the accreditation covering at least one degree program. • Achieve accreditation candidacy or pre-accreditation, as defined in regulations, by (date two years from date of provisional approval), and full accreditation by (date five years from date of provisional approval) If this institution stops pursuing accreditation, it must: • Stop all enrollment in its degree programs, and • Provide a teach-out to finish the educational program or provide a refund.

So there's at least a stated goal of becoming accredited. However, at the stated cost of $20,000, there are other, accredited, choices out there, although without the "pay later" thing.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
$20K for something without any type of accreditation is super sketchy to me. I mean there are many schools who offer an accredited masters degree for less. Yes you pay tuition up front but you also know the school is legitimate and will be there when you're ready to graduate.
(02-01-2022, 06:34 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Others haven't done it because their students are able to take out student loans. Why put your own finances on the line when you can risk someone else's money instead?

It could potentially be used as a marketing ploy to attract or "steal" students from competitors.  A lot of the for-profits have similar value propositions.  But a for-profit that offers a study now pay later scheme (depending on whether you get a job) might beat out a competing for-profit school that has no such option. 

Not only will this scheme potentially benefit a for-profit by increasing student enrollment, it also provides a safety mechanism for students, as the school now has an incentive to make sure its students get a good paying job after their studies.  As a result, everyone wins in this scenario.  It's just my opinion, but I tend to believe that a school that offers a study now pay later scheme is more trustworthy as they believe enough in their ability to get students a good job.  Win-win all the way for both the school and the student.
(02-01-2022, 07:21 PM)smartdegree Wrote:
(02-01-2022, 06:34 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Others haven't done it because their students are able to take out student loans. Why put your own finances on the line when you can risk someone else's money instead?

It could potentially be used as a marketing ploy to attract or "steal" students from competitors.  A lot of the for-profits have similar value propositions.  But a for-profit that offers a study now pay later scheme (depending on whether you get a job) might beat out a competing for-profit school that has no such option. 

Not only will this scheme potentially benefit a for-profit by increasing student enrollment, it also provides a safety mechanism for students, as the school now has an incentive to make sure its students get a good paying job after their studies.  As a result, everyone wins in this scenario.  It's just my opinion, but I tend to believe that a school that offers a study now pay later scheme is more trustworthy as they believe enough in their ability to get students a good job.  Win-win all the way for both the school and the student.

While I agree with you that is a good concept that incentivizes the school to help you achieve gainful employment, their marketing specifically says you won't pay until "graduating and getting a high-paying job," but once you dig a bit deeper, they make you start paying $500/month once you are making $30k/year. That may be considered a "high-paying job" in some regions, but I don't know anywhere in the U.S. that would consider $30k to be "high pay." Also, they want you to keep them updated about your pay "Every 30 days, even if your job is outside of the tech industry." Essentially, if work full time at $15/hr(minimum wage where the "university" is located) in any job, you immediately have to start paying them $6k/year.

To their credit, they promise no interest or added fees and if you make less than $2500 a particular month, you can get that month off from paying. 

If it were me, I'd go for an accredited master's degree for a fraction of the price like Georgia Tech where you will have good career prospects.

Link to their payment plan

Link to their google maps listing(it's likely a single office in a random office building)

(01-31-2022, 08:47 PM)LevelUP Wrote: Based in Palo Alto, yet they only offer online learning, ya right.

https://goo.gl/maps/mfqyoShLW3BjUxvq6
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • smartdegree

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apollos University - from show clause to closure details bjcheung77 4 247 Yesterday, 12:40 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 312 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 15 1,074 03-27-2024, 09:18 AM
Last Post: PaperAssistant
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 3 278 03-23-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Wnt2BLPC
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 496 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,460 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 269 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  A very big thank you to this group. I have completed my Masters in IT from PUG NewatTESU 31 4,098 03-14-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 549 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,850 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool