Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No proctor like Sophia?
Hi,

Just did the 2 courses on Sophia that I could take that did not have proctors and I liked the format although I was not thrilled at the vagueness of some of the questions on the final exam for the Greek Philosophers course.  Regardless are there any other courses from wherever that have that same type of learning format that also do not require a proctor?

I am about to start Study.com to see how their format is and I think I will be ok with there proctor system as it's instant but I'd prefer that same type of no proctor system courses like the couple on Sophia.  Unfortunately all there other ones require the proctor except the English Composition.

Thanks.
All of the free credit sources on this page are non proctored, and free.

https://degreeforum.wikia.com/wiki/Free_..._of_Credit

ALEKS courses are also unproctored, but not free.

Shmoop is currently unproctored, but not accepted by TESU and it looks like they’re moving to a proctored model.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
@jsd Did I miss this Shmoop is getting proctors?
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(06-27-2018, 07:17 PM)Tekky Wrote: Hi,

Just did the 2 courses on Sophia that I could take that did not have proctors and I liked the format although I was not thrilled at the vagueness of some of the questions on the final exam for the Greek Philosophers course.  Regardless are there any other courses from wherever that have that same type of learning format that also do not require a proctor?

Center for Financial Training has self-paced courses -- mostly business related. Last time I checked the self study courses were non-proctored.  They cost $595 each, so they're not cheap. They also offer online and teacher-led classes.   http://www2.acenet.edu/credit/?fuseactio...ICE=300075

Charter Oak is one of their partner schools.  https://cftnow.org/transferring-cft-cred...a-college/
TESU BA June 2018.
Various business certificates still to do.
Yeah, Shmoop is gonna be proctored. Hmm, I dunno if it's still a good deal though! https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid263076
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I hope they don't change pricing! To be honest I never used the 'keep all the tabs open' method when taking exams from them. I always just read the material and took the exams so I dont mind the proctoring. I hope TESU accpets them after that though, cause I really want the Finite Math and Geography from them.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(06-27-2018, 09:03 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: I hope they don't change pricing! To be honest I never used the 'keep all the tabs open' method when taking exams from them. I always just read the material and took the exams so I dont mind the proctoring. I hope TESU accpets them after that though, cause I really want the Finite Math and Geography from them.

I don't think Shmoop has indicated any pricing changes. This suggests (to me anyway) that if they plan to remain an all-you-can-eat monthly service, they will probably just pass along proctoring fees to the students. So, the student will be responsible for a $25-ish proctor fee each time they take a final exam, like Saylor.

Given the annoying nature of the Shmoop courses, I'm not sure that extra cost would be worthwhile, but YMMV. They do offer a few courses not available elsewhere that I was originally planning to take. We'll see.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can sophia credit transfer to two different schools? GoBroncos95 11 309 Yesterday, 11:27 AM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 5 762 04-17-2024, 03:24 PM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 116 60,214 04-17-2024, 12:27 PM
Last Post: LaurLoey
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,289 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Is it possible to submit a blank page to Sophia histourism 11 302 04-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Does Sophia track what sites you've visited? Chickenfat2024 10 638 04-13-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 896 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia.org while attending UMPI your pace - history major Atwygon 4 212 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 877 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Transfer situation of Sophia Labs Kab 6 342 04-06-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle