Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Northwestern State competency based - BS in Computer Information Systems
https://www.nsula.edu/cb/degree-programs/

Their FAQ mentions it's $250 per course, and you could knock out quite abit from SL as well.

https://www.straighterline.com/colleges/northwestern-state-university-of-louisiana/course-equivalency/
[-] The following 3 users Like nyvrem's post:
  • FastTrackDegree, MNomadic, ss20ts
(08-08-2021, 10:45 PM)nyvrem Wrote: https://www.nsula.edu/cb/degree-programs/

Their FAQ mentions it's $250 per course, and you could knock out quite abit from SL as well.

https://www.straighterline.com/colleges/northwestern-state-university-of-louisiana/course-equivalency/

Amazing find!
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
I just sent them a couple of emails asking more questions in regards to this CB CIS degree, hopefully we'll get more details.
If they allow up to 90 credits through ACE sources, this would be a very good deal, as 10 courses would cost $2500 for the degree!
That's my main question for them, haha... let's find out if they do or not allow that many through ACE transfers!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 3 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • FastTrackDegree, MNomadic, Vle045
Great find!
Please keep us posted.
I'm thrilled. This could be amazing if they accept 90 ACE credits.

Sent from my NX591J using DegreeForum.net mobile app
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kab's post:
  • Vle045
That's awesome! Would be great if they added more CBE programs. I guess time will tell. I really hope more schools offer CBE programs. They work really well for many people.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • FastTrackDegree
I'd also like to know if they will take ACE courses from Study.com and Sophia as well?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
No Study.com and only a handful of Saylor/Sophia.org, apparently they only accept the credits from the ACE - ACP (now defunct).  Good news is, if you have a bunch of StraighterLine, or Saylor courses, you can try.  I would even try sending in Sophia/Study.com just in case they have a second decision on that...

Hi.  I am very interested in this NSU BS CIS program, I am wondering the following:

1) What is the limit of transfer credits from ACE recommend for credit sources?  Is there a limit of say, 30, 45, 60, 75, 90 credits?

ANSWER: There is not a limit on ACE credits that can be transferred in. However, there is a limit of credits that may be applied towards your degree and that will vary with your major.

2) There is a 25% residency requirement for NSU Bachelors degrees, does this program also have a minimum residency of 25% of the courses?  Example, degree is 120 credits, 30 credits must be from NSU.

ANSWER: There is a residency requirement for all programs.  At least 25% of your credits must be earned from NSU and in a 120 credit hour program that equates to 30 hours that must be earned from NSU.

3) I see you accept StraighterLine and some other ACP courses for transfer credit as Saylor.org, do you accept Sophia.org or Study.com as well?

ANSWER: We accept English Composition I, Approaches to Studying Religions, and Introduction to Art History from Sophia.org.  Here is list of the alternative credit courses that have been approved for transfer https://www.nsula.edu/wp-content/uploads...-25-18.pdf.  We do not accept Study.com credits.

I hope this information helps and please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • akr680, Vle045
Interesting that they accept Sophia but not Study.com.
Ed4Online, JumpCourse, and Pearson don't even exist any longer (as a means to take inexpensive college credit). Bummer.

I guess if you want to do SL for this degree, then you could though.

Maybe Study.com can work with them to try to change things...
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Found CLEP and DSST will work here as well.

And just so everyone knows, this is really a CIS Degree with a Business component: 39cr of GE, 39cr of Business including "support" courses, and 45cr of computer-related stuff. Absolutely zero free electives. And these degree plans were created in 2016, and I'm not certain I'm a fan of that for computers...

It's not exactly what we're used to on this forum flexibility-wise.

The GE must include:
2 math courses in a series
3 sciences total: 2 science courses in a series (i.e. Bio I & II or Physical Science I & II); and 1 each of a Bio and a Physical science
3 humanities courses - 1 Lit, 1 History, 1 Communication
1 Fine Arts
2 Social/Behavioral Sciences: 1 Social, 1 behavioral

A real PITA if you ask me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with Coopersmith's (PSY-304) History and Systems of Psychology Ben2020 14 2,581 04-11-2024, 06:07 PM
Last Post: Msecool123
  Systems Engineering Certification NotJoeBiden 3 285 03-31-2024, 02:11 AM
Last Post: Chimera
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 281 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  So... I decided doing a UK Level 5 on Information Technology, here's why elcastor21 15 1,048 03-09-2024, 11:54 AM
  5 institutions paying fine plus how much college costs in every state bjcheung77 1 215 01-25-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: inor
  Free Course Jacksonville State University a_dblu 56 9,953 11-19-2023, 07:30 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Metropolia Transition to Bachelor of Engineering in Information Technology aleksa 10 1,562 11-09-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: aleksa
  So long, computer science — Chaos Studies is the hot new college degree LevelUP 9 1,222 10-15-2023, 11:14 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  University of Phoenix to offer Competency Based Degrees elcastor21 11 1,310 10-04-2023, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Pats20
Information Coursera Bachelor of Science in Computer Science for $4k! nomaduser 19 4,080 09-16-2023, 06:32 PM