Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nuclear Associates Degree
For a family member in Navy Nuclear who is skeptical of a TESU degree but has at least 90 credits from military training. Wants to possibly use GI bill for bachelors at B&M school someday so no TESU bachelors. But I'm trying to convince him to at least get a TESU associate before he gets out to have something earned upon exit, use CLEPs and DSST while they are free and take advantage of TESU military rates. (side note TESU military rates are only for active duty correct?)

Looking at the AS Nuclear Engineering Technology/Electronics Engineering Double major. Was told by TESU that based on his training likely the whole AOS would be done based on credits earned. Out of pocket cost would be $2400 for military rate including TESU courses, TECEPs to meet 12 to avoid waiver fee, grad fee and cost of sending transcripts. Remaining gen eds would be done for free. Probably would pay out of pocket and save GI bill for another degree that would be more money.

Does anyone know if this specific associate degree adds any value or merit? Do you think it is worthwhile to convince him to do this? Is it likely that if he wants a job related to his training, will his experience alone be enough and this degree is worthless? Do you think it is worth the money?
(05-07-2020, 08:01 PM)natshar Wrote: For a family member in Navy Nuclear who is skeptical of a TESU degree but has at least 90 credits from military training. Wants to possibly use GI bill for bachelors at B&M school someday so no TESU bachelors. But I'm trying to convince him to at least get a TESU associate before he gets out to have something earned upon exit, use CLEPs and DSST while they are free and take advantage of TESU military rates. (side note TESU military rates are only for active duty correct?)

Looking at the AS Nuclear Engineering Technology/Electronics Engineering Double major. Was told by TESU that based on his training likely the whole AOS would be done based on credits earned. Out of pocket cost would be $2400 for military rate including TESU courses, TECEPs to meet 12 to avoid waiver fee, grad fee and cost of sending transcripts. Remaining gen eds would be done for free. Probably would pay out of pocket and save GI bill for another degree that would be more money.

Does anyone know if this specific associate degree adds any value or merit? Do you think it is worthwhile to convince him to do this? Is it likely that if he wants a job related to his training, will his experience alone be enough and this degree is worthless? Do you think it is worth the money?
Out of curiosity when is his EAOS? What school brick and mortar school is he trying to get into and is he trying to use any credits from his JST?

I always find it a little weird that people get out with using as much TA as possible and then using the GI Bill for a Master's degree later to get BAH. If his brick and mortar school will take TESU credits from the associate's I'd say yeah go ahead, but I'd recommend him do as much Navycool certs as possible.
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

[-] The following 1 user Likes ROYISAGIRL's post:
  • CableGuy98
(05-07-2020, 09:12 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote:
(05-07-2020, 08:01 PM)natshar Wrote: For a family member in Navy Nuclear who is skeptical of a TESU degree but has at least 90 credits from military training. Wants to possibly use GI bill for bachelors at B&M school someday so no TESU bachelors. But I'm trying to convince him to at least get a TESU associate before he gets out to have something earned upon exit, use CLEPs and DSST while they are free and take advantage of TESU military rates. (side note TESU military rates are only for active duty correct?)

Out of curiosity when is his EAOS? What school brick and mortar school is he trying to get into and is he trying to use any credits from his JST?

I always find it a little weird that people get out with using as much TA as possible and then using the GI Bill for a Master's degree later to get BAH.  If his brick and mortar school will take TESU credits from the associate's I'd say yeah go ahead, but I'd recommend him do as much Navycool certs as possible.

He gets out in 6 months. No idea what school or major or even when but likely fairly soon after getting out likely in a few years. Probably wants to study something unrelated to nuclear but who even knows. I doubt he would want to spend four years in undergrad though. So it would make sense to chose a school where military credits count for something. I keep telling him to take cleps and he took two and got 80. Gotta keep bugging him dudes a genius and I keep telling it would be stupid to waste time sitting in English 101, etc.

I figured the AS would be a good option. One of the majors he is thinking of is accounting. I also thought having all those military credits on a college transcript would help towards the 150 should he ever go cpa.

In my opinion with all that credit it seems silly not to get get some sort of degree now. But thats just me. I was just more wondering if the price is worth it. Knowing him he probably would object to using the Gi bill now. But i dont exactly know how it all works.
(05-07-2020, 09:34 PM)natshar Wrote:

I always find it a little weird that people get out with using as much TA as possible and then using the GI Bill for a Master's degree later to get BAH.  If his brick and mortar school will take TESU credits from the associate's I'd say yeah go ahead, but I'd recommend him do as much Navycool certs as possible.

He gets out in 6 months. No idea what school or major or even when but likely fairly soon after getting out likely in a few years. Probably wants to study something unrelated to nuclear but who even knows. I doubt he would want to spend four years in undergrad though. So it would make sense to chose a school where military credits count for something. I keep telling him to take cleps and he took two and got 80. Gotta keep bugging him dudes a genius and I keep telling it would be stupid to waste time sitting in English 101, etc.

I figured the AS would be a good option. One of the majors he is thinking of is accounting. I also thought having all those military credits on a college transcript would help towards the 150 should he ever go cpa.

In my opinion with all that credit it seems silly not to get get some sort of degree now. But thats just me. I was just more wondering if the price is worth it. Knowing him he probably would object to using the Gi bill now. But i dont exactly know how it all works.
I would say use his TA while he has it to knock out a few courses and to definitely take CLEPs. That way he can use his GI Bill for Area of study stuff and not waste it on Electives and Gen Ed.
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

(05-07-2020, 09:38 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote:

I would say use his TA while he has it to knock out a few courses and to definitely take CLEPs.  That way he can use his GI Bill for  Area of study stuff and not waste it on Electives and Gen Ed.
I dont know how all this works. But are you telling me if he is able to ebroll in AS at Tesu before he gets out that the military will pay for it but it wont use time on the Gi bill. Well if thats the case it really seems stupid not to get an associates from tesu.

If its at no cost to him, very little work. Seems like a no brainer hopefully i can convince him.
(05-07-2020, 09:46 PM)natshar Wrote:
(05-07-2020, 09:38 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote:

I would say use his TA while he has it to knock out a few courses and to definitely take CLEPs.  That way he can use his GI Bill for  Area of study stuff and not waste it on Electives and Gen Ed.
I dont know how all this works. But are you telling me if he is able to ebroll in AS at Tesu before he gets out that the military will pay for it but it wont use time on the Gi bill. Well if thats the case it really seems stupid not to get an associates from tesu.

If its at no cost to him, very little work. Seems like a no brainer hopefully i can convince him.
Yes with TA you can use it as long as the class that you are trying to finish is completed before you get out. Depending on his JST and any other credits he has he'll probably only need 2 courses from TESU. But he'll need to send everything in to be evaluated first to be sure.

Excelsior College Bachelor’s in Nuclear Engineering Technology is Accredited by the Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET, www.abet.org, this is the GOLD Standard. Big Grin
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Navy COOL is no longer an option at 6 months before separating. However, TA is still an option. I used my TA to get my Excelsior College associates degree for free. I did it while on separation leave (I had 3 months saved). Push him to try to knock out classes using TA at no cost. It doesn't affect his GI Bill benefits. Personally, I think he should shoot for the Excelsior College Bachelor’s in Nuclear Engineering Technology or the TESU nuclear bachelor's degree. They both provide good value and offer the maximum number of credits for Navy Nukes. Use that GI Bill for master programs.

One worry is that PELL grant will stop payments once he has a bachelor's degree, if he tries for that money to do another bachelor's degree. It's his choice though. If he wants to do a B&M, let him. Also, note that engineering technology is different than an engineering degree.
Georgia Institute of Technology: MS in Analytics (3/32 Credits)
Boston University: MS in Software Development
Thomas Edison State University: BA in Liberal Studies
[-] The following 2 users Like MrBossmanJr's post:
  • Life Long Learning, natshar
(05-08-2020, 12:42 AM)MrBossmanJr Wrote: Navy COOL is no longer an option at 6 months before separating. However, TA is still an option. I used my TA to get my Excelsior College associates degree for free. I did it while on separation leave (I had 3 months saved). Push him to try to knock out classes using TA at no cost. It doesn't affect his GI Bill benefits. Personally, I think he should shoot for the Excelsior College Bachelor’s in Nuclear Engineering Technology or the TESU nuclear bachelor's degree. They both provide good value and offer the maximum number of credits for Navy Nukes. Use that GI Bill for master programs.

One worry is that PELL grant will stop payments once he has a bachelor's degree, if he tries for that money to do another bachelor's degree. It's his choice though. If he wants to do a B&M, let him. Also, note that engineering technology is different than an engineering degree.

Yes that of the pell grant thing why I'm trying to convince him to just do associates. But does the whole pell thing matter? If you get GI Bill anyway what difference does the Pell Grant make? Wouldn't your education already be paid for (assuming you went to a public school)?

I do think it is pretty cool that TESU and EC offer ABET-accredited engineering programs. I might suggest it to my friend who dropped out of an EE degree when he was mostly done and I believe still wants to finish. I don't ET isn't quite the same, but if it's cheaper, easier and accepts all the credits seems worth it even if isn't engineering.

I guess the thing is he doesn't think that TESU or EC are real degrees and would grant any value in the workplace. I guess some people don't understand it. Like if you don't take four years and take everything in an actual class format the degree can't possibly have value and is just a diploma mill.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • CableGuy98
Honestly, you've been trying to convince your brother to do something like this for years now. If he doesn't want to do it, you're wasting your time.

I'd keep on him about CLEPs/DSSTs, though. He can likely pass several more with very minimal studying.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • natshar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AF Commission with TESU Degree TESUAF 15 4,348 08-30-2019, 02:14 PM
Last Post: Sagan
  Earning a Degree as a Nuclear ET natshar 3 2,033 09-15-2018, 09:47 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  My Wife has 77 credits and just needs and Associates to get promoted. Please Help!! eliment 19 5,290 03-13-2018, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sagan
  Degree for free jshzglr 26 8,994 12-03-2017, 05:03 PM
Last Post: 22gunsonfire
  Taking a break between Associates and Bachelors mps2015 8 3,243 01-01-2017, 08:15 AM
Last Post: 25BangBang
  My Degree Path dposborne 7 2,830 02-24-2015, 12:06 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  How to get a signed degree plan from TESC for MilTA? (USAF) OfficerA 6 1,967 08-11-2014, 08:32 AM
Last Post: bricabrac
  TESC Management Degree/Aviation Maintenance Degree jeff080 4 1,302 02-03-2013, 09:02 PM
Last Post: jeff080
  Earning a degree entirely through military training, is it possible? Sidewinder2N 11 2,573 01-26-2013, 12:30 AM
Last Post: bldclot2
  TESC Military Degree Completion Program Change Prloko 2 1,045 10-19-2012, 08:22 AM
Last Post: Prloko