Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NYU MicroBachelor retiring
I just notice that there is a "This program is retiring soon" notes in all NYU MicroBachelor programs, but I couldn't find more info on this anywhere.

This is quite big loss, as NYU have lots of courses in the programs, and NYU use microbachelors as preparatory pathway to their MS cybersecurity program.

I am wondering what was the reason behind this retirement decision.
That's a shame. I think they probably didn't get as much interest in them as they thought they would. Also, TESU evaluated some of them as less credits than NYU planned(the cybersecurity microbachelor was supposed to be worth 3, 3Cr courses but TESU only evaluated it as worth 2, 3CR classes that overlapped with the free TEEX courses). Also, the fact that TESU decided to be the primary credit transcription school for all the courses and then subsequently decided they wouldn't even accept them for all their programs was another factor that severely limited the course's utility. The whole microbachelor program shot itself in the foot multiple times in multiple ways in my opinion and I wouldn't be surprised if more of them get retired.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
I guess 2U acquisition of edx also affect this, as 2U stock price keeps dropping like stone.

Its funny that when they added new micro credentials program or new partnership, its announced everywhere, but when retiring, not a single word can be found.

Edx recently has new partnership with ec council, added cybersecurity essential certificate, its basically replacing NYU microbachelor on cybersecurity with non credit bearing certificate.
Interesting, just curious, is it just NYC micro bachelors that are affected or is everything provided by edx that is a micro bachelor certificate now affected? I think it's just NYC's offerings, correct? I didn't check, but didn't see TESU offering have this mentioned...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-22-2023, 11:18 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Interesting, just curious, is it just NYC micro bachelors that are affected or is everything provided by edx that is a micro bachelor certificate now affected?  I think it's just NYC's offerings, correct?  I didn't check, but didn't see TESU offering have this mentioned...

Yes it affects only MB from NYU.

Other than TESU, NYU also accepts the NYU MB for credits for their Bachelor and Associate degree: 
https://www.sps.nyu.edu/homepage/academi...grams.html
I guess "retiring soon" means "Enrollment closed" since you can't enroll in the courses at all anymore.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Not surprised. EdX is largely becoming a shell of what its original intention was. I was following the micro bachelors from the start and it looked very promising. However, just the mere fact that not one of the classes seemed to align with anything from TESU making it unclear what classes transferred as and no letter grades  Huh .  EdX has an identity crisis......what are they now? Providers of MOOCs to provide equal access to great courses/universities? Middle men for the parent company? I assume the latter now. 

It's disappointing a benevolent alt higher ed program can't get it correct. So much promised squandered because  ultimately of incremental greed. You can see it in the increases at Outlier too. The big three also are becoming more restrictive with more credit hoops and pricing pathways to navigate. Keep price squeezing the market you aim to "serve" until you fall into oblivion. Rinse and Repeat. Edtech is so fluid now without the army of incredible posters here in this exceptional forum....it would be near impossible to make accurate economic decisions surrounding which courses and colleges to attend in the online space.
[-] The following 4 users Like cardiacclep's post:
  • jsd, MNomadic, Pikachu, sialiblo
I remember getting an email from edX about this many days ago (maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago). But I can´t find the email, so I can´t tell you the exact date.

It was only about NYU microbachelors (but I already finished it, and got the TESU credit for it).

I´m enrolled in 2 NYU Microbachelors and in the SNHU microbachelors.

From the NYU Microbachelors, I finished:

NYU Computer Science Fundamentals and NYU Introduction to Databases.

And I got from TESU:

1    COS-105    Database Fundamentals    09/01/22    CR    3.00    COS-105    *NE

1    COS-104    Computer Science Fundamentals    01/04/22    CR    3.00    COS-104 *NE

And both ended in the AOS Electives - Group 2, for the BA in CS.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrPanda's post:
  • sialiblo

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information 2 New edX Microbachelor's Programs From SNHU MNomadic 14 3,295 01-27-2021, 07:54 AM
Last Post: rachel83az