Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OMG, what! Udemy IPO?
Hmm, Udemy is trying to get on the MOOC bandwagon as they seem to want to take on other MOOC such as Coursera, EdX, etc... 

I don't think they will ever come close to Coursera, EdX, FutureLearn unless they get a partnership happening with a "real college".

Link: 3 takeaways from Udemy's initial public offering | Higher Ed Dive
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Udemy will be close to Coursera in terms of market cap.

With billions of dollars, they could just buy a college and run it similar to how SNHU is run.  SNHU charges $1000 per course, runs around a 20% marketing budget, and has over 100,000 students now.

Everything is online, they could hire cheap labor from 3rd world countries and make a huge profit.  It's a matter of time till some company figures that out.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
They should try to get accreditation and give credits for taking some of their courses.
Honestly, there are more practical and profitable skills that you can learn from Udemy than any other MOOCs.
Some of instructors on Udemy are much more talented than community college instructors.
[-] The following 3 users Like nomaduser's post:
  • AntonyFarax, Johann, TwinMom
(11-15-2021, 11:32 PM)nomaduser Wrote: ...Some of instructors on Udemy are much more talented than community college instructors.

And very highly qualified, too. I've looked. Overall, I regard Udemy as my best online learning experience. Then again, I have no need for accreditation etc. (Where am I going to get a job at 78, anyway?) Vast choice, good instruction and inexpensive. What more could I want?

I can't see why Udemy would need its own accreditation, unless it intends to award degrees. Numerous companies market courses that are acceptable at accredited institutions -e.g. Sophia et al. Maybe this is a route for Udemy - maybe not. I don't know. Some of the Udemy courses are quite short and may not meet learning hours for college credit. Not all Udemy courses are alike. (And that's a GOOD thing!)

It's complex. Not a one-decision problem. Beyond this old man's pay grade.  Smile
I am afraid I cannot have $9.99 course anymore if they have accreditation.
In Progress:
BS Statistics + BS Physics, Indonesia, 2023
MSc ML/AI (LJMU, UK), 2022
Completed:
PGDip ML/AI (IIITB, India), 2021
BE Civil Engineering, Universitas Pelita Harapan, 2017
(11-15-2021, 11:32 PM)nomaduser Wrote: They should try to get accreditation and give credits for taking some of their courses.
Honestly, there are more practical and profitable skills that you can learn from Udemy than any other MOOCs.
Some of instructors on Udemy are much more talented than community college instructors.

Udemy I don't believe currently makes their own courses.  If they did ACE stuff, I'm not sure how users would search to find these courses.  But they do have "Udemy Business", so why not "Udemy School" as a subscription plan Smile

I agree that Udemy is great at teaching useful skills. Their strength is with technology teaching.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
Anyone can publish a course on udemy. like LevelUP said, they don't make their own courses.

i could go make a course right now (not that anyone would buy it), and it could be garbage. Udemy doesn't want to mess around with ACE review or accreditation nightmares for 3rd party folks that might not be good at what they do.

But the "Udemy School" idea you bring up could have some legs.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 2 users Like jsd's post:
  • MNomadic, ss20ts
(11-16-2021, 12:45 PM)jsd Wrote: Anyone can publish a course on udemy. like LevelUP said, they don't make their own courses.

i could go make a course right now (not that anyone would buy it), and it could be garbage. Udemy doesn't want to mess around with ACE review or accreditation nightmares for 3rd party folks that might not be good at what they do.

But the "Udemy School" idea you bring up could have some legs.

This. Just like youtube and other platforms, for every good quality content maker, there could be 10 low-quality ones.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coursera, Udemy & LinkedIn Learning ss20ts 6 2,121 06-12-2023, 11:51 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Six Sigma….. Udemy Vle045 13 2,557 07-07-2021, 12:45 PM
Last Post: Flelm