Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Okay, let's talk about it: Degree Planning Masterclass
(12-12-2019, 11:27 PM)HogwartsSchool Wrote:
(12-11-2019, 09:03 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(12-11-2019, 08:20 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(12-11-2019, 11:50 AM)bluebooger Wrote: https://hs4cc-academy.thinkific.com/cour...sterclass9
$340 for that ?

When valuable information is shared freely, expect that someone will monetize it. Several other companies have already monetized the collective information on this forum that comes from hundreds of members' legwork, so it's really a game of who can do it first and advertise it best. Just remember that, every time you share something that you've found, you are making someone else money.

This site that shares freely is free to use, not free to operate.  Coming up with ways to keep valuable content free is a full-time job.  People here who subscribe to IC flashcards or buy ACE courses assure that this valuable community is sustainable.  The same is true with my homeschooling community.   A small group that needs a specific type of service will make it possible for me to continue offering free services to all of my users.   Or not.

1. Congrats on creating the course, it looks wonderful!
2. Semi off-topic question.
How did you decide to use thinkific.com over teachable.com? I have compared both teaching course platforms and they seem very similar. I would greatly appreciate any feedback on how you chose the course platform.

happy to chat about that via email cookderosa@gmail.com
Odd behavior, I'm seeing recent posts by davewill and cookderosa. Once I login to my account they disappear from this thread!

Edit: well now they show up after I make a post

Edit 2: Just wanted to add that if anyone is offering this type of service, I'm glad it's cookderosa and dfrecore! Both of them know what they're doing and have helped so many around here!
[-] The following 6 users Like Nixi's post:
  • AwardTour, cookderosa, dfrecore, hsfamfun, Murdockb, mysonx3
Yeah, I kind of think about this like I think about research at major universities. The pure research done at the university creates professors and students who springboard into startups and high-paying jobs. These wouldn't be possible without the research and university, but there is nothing wrong with someone creating the startup or forking the open source code. Now, I wouldn't pay for it and I do have some issues with encouraging young home school students to attend college well before the normal ages, but that is my thing. And I wouldn't like it if the threads here were suddenly taken over by for-profit advertisements, but that is not what is happening here.

Degreeforum is the pure science research arm of degree hacking.
(12-13-2019, 02:41 PM)eriehiker Wrote: "... I do have some issues with encouraging young home school students to attend college well before the normal ages, but that is my thing."

Just a quick note - when kids are taking AP classes, that's college-level coursework.  So kids are already doing this, but homeschooled kids have less access to it.  Taking college courses, especially for GE, is just kind of leveling the playing field there.

AND, for many states, kids have access to free/cheap dual enrollment through local colleges. Many homeschoolers take advantage of this - but then so do non-homeschooled kids.  My local CC added a satellite campus across the street from my daughter's charter high school, and kids are going over there all the time to take classes.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • alab21, hsfamfun
(12-12-2019, 11:39 PM)davewill Wrote: Actually Jay Cross was mostly criticised for giving outdated info and not bothering to support his clients, not because he was charging.

Your post reminds me, I'm guilty of paying a couple of hundred bucks for Jay Cross's DIY Degree info and access to his message board back in 2014. It was outdated even then and focused almost entirely on Excelsior College. I am so happy I found this site! Unfortunately, his outdated ebook is still being sold on Amazon.

(12-13-2019, 12:08 PM)Nixi Wrote: Odd behavior, I'm seeing recent posts by davewill and cookderosa. Once I login to my account they disappear from this thread!

Edit 2: Just wanted to add that if anyone is offering this type of service, I'm glad it's cookderosa and dfrecore! Both of them know what they're doing and have helped so many around here!
Yep, I feel the same way. dfrecore has helped me by giving me a custom degree plan on multiple occasions without charging me a cent. Thank you!
Currently working on:  Capstone

Eastern University - (9 of 10 Courses Completed) (27 Credits)
Master's in Data Science

Western Governors University (WGU) - Completed in 2020.
Bachelor of Science, Business - Information Technology Management

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
SOPHIA (21 courses, 57 cr) 
Study.com (18 courses, 54 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
Eastern University (9 courses, 27 cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes AwardTour's post:
  • dfrecore
(12-13-2019, 02:41 PM)eriehiker Wrote: Yeah, I kind of think about this like I think about research at major universities.  The pure research done at the university creates professors and students who springboard into startups and high-paying jobs.  These wouldn't be possible without the research and university, but there is nothing wrong with someone creating the startup or forking the open source code.  Now, I wouldn't pay for it and I do have some issues with encouraging young home school students to attend college well before the normal ages, but that is my thing.  And I wouldn't like it if the threads here were suddenly taken over by for-profit advertisements, but that is not what is happening here.

Degreeforum is the pure science research arm of degree hacking.

You mean that graduates used the education that they paid for? They didn't sit in class for free and sell the professors' lectures. Oh, and professors get paid for teaching these students who will go on to get jobs and start businesses.

(12-12-2019, 11:39 PM)davewill Wrote: Actually Jay Cross was mostly criticised for giving outdated info and not bothering to support his clients, not because he was charging.

The information about him not supporting his customers came later. I'm talking about the thread in which he participated, not the complaints that came afterward. You joined this forum three years after Jay Cross started his website. Most of you joined years after he started his website, so I'm not sure you have any recollection of what happened because you probably weren't here.

You all can choose to support their business for free. That is your right. I stopped sharing a lot of information a while ago. I did my research to help people save money, not to make Jennifer, Danika, and the other one money.

Where's my check, Jennifer?

https://homeschoolingforcollegecredit.co...sion-teex/

(12-13-2019, 06:06 PM)AwardTour Wrote:

Your post reminds me, I'm guilty of paying a couple of hundred bucks for Jay Cross's DIY Degree info and access to his message board back in 2014. It was outdated even then and focused almost entirely on Excelsior College. I am so happy I found this site! Unfortunately, his outdated ebook is still being sold on Amazon.

(12-13-2019, 12:08 PM)Nixi Wrote: Odd behavior, I'm seeing recent posts by davewill and cookderosa. Once I login to my account they disappear from this thread!

Yep, I feel the same way. dfrecore has helped me by giving me a custom degree plan on multiple occasions without charging me a cent. Thank you!

KayV and I created degree plans for many people without ever charging a cent, and we turned down job offers by websites that ended up going bust with this DIY stuff. The forum was much more active back then. This forum will likely go the way of DegreeInfo just like many other forums have, so they'll eventually have to get their information elsewhere or actually do the research themselves.

Really, all of the current info here could be put into a $30 book, but I guess someone's book didn't sell well enough, so now they're charging hundreds for a masterclass. MOOC companies have people with PhDs teaching classes, and they don't even charge this much. As expensive as textbooks are, most of them cost less than $340. I've never read Jennifer's book. Does she source her information? Does she give credit to the people who gave her the information?
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I appear to be Sanantone's favorite hobby for the past couple of years, and that's not going to change in this thread, but I do appreciate all the attention it brings to the hard work of my volunteers and those who developed this class. When you post as an anonymous hater on the internet, I think everyone sees it for what it is, but with that, I'll just close and say that if you could find a way to use that kind passion to help others instead of tearing them down, you might be surprised at how well it could overflow into your career and personal life. Despite my ability to do so, I won't share your true identity or take shots at you, so your ranting is safe and sound tucked away here.
Play nice everyone.
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
[-] The following 1 user Likes ShotoJuku's post:
  • warriortaupou
I can't believe crab mentality exist on this very wonderful forum.

If somebody is trying to make money to bring food to the table doing it on legal means, you don't bash them.
Unless they are trying to scam people then feel free to bash. It just shows how insecure a person are.

Jennifer and the rest have been contributing to this forum mightily and effectively.
If you have decided not to contribute constructive post anymore, sharing toxic post won't help either.
(12-12-2019, 08:45 AM)sanantone Wrote: ...They are not giving you a cut. Stop providing them with free information that they'll use to enrich themselves and avoid working full-time jobs like everyone else...

I understand why you feel the way that you do. From my perspective, you have always been very consistent in your views on this subject. It is sad that you have stopped sharing information due to the fact that there are others who are using the information and charging. I understand why you have made that decision. When I was first here, you did so much here to help others, and I appreciate that you did that. I understand why you are saying these things, so I am not arguing with you, but I really hope that people continue to share information here for free so that others can benefit.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.
[-] The following 1 user Likes topdog98's post:
  • warriortaupou

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 681 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 286 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 642 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,791 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 575 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 509 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 288 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 872 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,241 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,844 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74