Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On the value of Grad school...
I'm about to begin grad school at Texas A&M (MS in Marketing). Only reason I am going to that school (probably the biggest and most expensive in the state) is because my company is going to pay for it. Otherwise--it wouldn't be worth it, lol.
selash Wrote:I'm about to begin grad school at Texas A&M (MS in Marketing). Only reason I am going to that school (probably the biggest and most expensive in the state) is because my company is going to pay for it. Otherwise--it wouldn't be worth it, lol.
Perhaps my favorite way to hear someone is going to school...that the employer values you so much they are footing the bill! Congrats!
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
rebel100 Wrote:Perhaps my favorite way to hear someone is going to school...that the employer values you so much they are footing the bill! Congrats!

Yes!! I'm excited! Always wanted to be an Aggie, but didn't have the cash, lol!! Now I can do it without worrying about the tens of thousands of dollars that it costs to go there Smile
BS, Business Administration
RMLO
MS, Marketing--in process
Gig 'em Aggies!!
Proud citizen of the Lone Star State
Rifle-totin', handgun packin', horseback ridin' southern cowgirl
21 years of age and counting

Tests Passed!
---------------------
ICE BIBLE 102
ICE BIBLE 103
BIOLOGY CLEP -- 65
MACROECONOMICS CLEP -- 61 (Instcert only for study)
NATURAL SCIENCES CLEP -- 61
PERSONAL FINANCE DSST -- 430 (Instcert only for study)
soliloquy Wrote:Missouri State University, online classes are billed at the same rate as in state tuition.

Good to know! I will check them out. I'm going online to Texas A&M for my master's (it's getting paid for, lol) but I know folks that may be interested.
BS, Business Administration
RMLO
MS, Marketing--in process
Gig 'em Aggies!!
Proud citizen of the Lone Star State
Rifle-totin', handgun packin', horseback ridin' southern cowgirl
21 years of age and counting

Tests Passed!
---------------------
ICE BIBLE 102
ICE BIBLE 103
BIOLOGY CLEP -- 65
MACROECONOMICS CLEP -- 61 (Instcert only for study)
NATURAL SCIENCES CLEP -- 61
PERSONAL FINANCE DSST -- 430 (Instcert only for study)
My online master of science degree in nursing (MSN) is going to cost less than $10,000 in tuition/fees because I opted to 'attend' a regional state university that is not well-known and does not advertise their degree offerings. I chose Eastern New Mexico University, a school that charges out-of-state students $230 per graduate level credit as long as we maintain part-time enrollment.
• Master of Science in Nursing - Eastern New Mexico University (in progress)
• Bachelor of Science in Nursing - Western Governors University (3/2015)
• Associate of Science in Nursing - Platt College (3/2010)
• Diploma of Vocational Nursing - Casa Loma College (10/2005)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Professional licensure: LPN/LVN (1/2006); RN (5/2010)
• 16 brick & mortar credits from Oxnard College (2000 to 2001)
• 38 brick & mortar credits from Tarrant County College (2006 to 2008)
selash Wrote:I'm about to begin grad school at Texas A&M (MS in Marketing). Only reason I am going to that school (probably the biggest and most expensive in the state) is because my company is going to pay for it. Otherwise--it wouldn't be worth it, lol.

I don't know why more people don't use employer reimbursement programs!?!
If I want a grad degree except for the fact that it's too expensive, tuition reimbursement is good.

If I'm unwilling to pay a measly $5k for the grad degree, I don't think it's worth the time investment even if it was paid by tuition reimbursement. I know too many people with free MBAs that regret wasting their time and retired without getting any financial benefit from the MBA.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
TrailRunr Wrote:If I want a grad degree except for the fact that it's too expensive, tuition reimbursement is good.

If I'm unwilling to pay a measly $5k for the grad degree, I don't think it's worth the time investment even if it was paid by tuition reimbursement. I know too many people with free MBAs that regret wasting their time and retired without getting any financial benefit from the MBA.

So true.. I have met MBA's who wanted to study business to "change their career path." Well.. you don't really need an MBA to get into business, so that's fairly poor judgement and lack of research.

If you already have a decent career and want to give yourself an edge, it can be very worthwhile. My MBA cost about 20k, which was half the price of MBA programs at my school. Mine was cheaper because it was a combined program with grad students from all over LATAM and they adjusted the price accordingly.

Post-MBA, I got a new job with a pay increase that more than paid for the MBA. This was not due to the MBA alone by a long shot. This was due to quite a few aggressive tactics that I chose, such as requesting title increases instead of raises. When I left my last employer, I was a VP, but would have never been if I hadn't pushed HARD. (small companies have more flexibility)

Mine is also not a generic MBA, but it's very focused on the international work I wanted to do, which is important in my field. Oh and I learned Portuguese to do business in Brazil.

I'm not trying to pat myself on the back, I'm just trying to demonstrate how darn hard it is in the business world. The MBA is icing on the cake that does make me stand out.. but that's it.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nitstharya - Grad School Top Up Recommendation nitstharya 1 180 04-10-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 33 7,288 04-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 1,035 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 16,071 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  Northwestern California University School of Law - My Journey GoodYellowDogs 47 14,763 02-14-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: MFG
  School of Business and Trade evaluation bjcheung77 12 1,317 01-11-2024, 10:36 PM
Last Post: adrian052
  Article bashes Harvard Extension ALM Grad smartdegree 50 8,484 12-25-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  European Grad Studies Abroad: Cost of Living vs Low Tuition Fees bjcheung77 7 1,428 12-23-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Medical School, AMCAS, Prerequisites, Pass or fail, online college, etc... CanICode 22 3,639 10-18-2023, 08:38 AM
Last Post: CanICode
  Seeking a grad school OTmina 4 1,094 10-11-2023, 11:13 PM
Last Post: OTmina